VFL Round 8 - Casey vs Collingwood at Casey Fields (Pies lost 83-102, Mayne booted 4)

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Seniors have nothing to worry about. No one in the VFL that is AFL Ready now
We have a lot of younger types, they live and learn.
All part of the education.

McLarty, Kirby, Daicos, all of them learn from each game they play.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just okay though. That's all you'll get from Keeffe there. It's one of the best games he's had up forward and he still only managed the one goal.

Yeah played the linking role well today but close to goal he gets lost.

How did Seir go? Lots of handballs. I can only assume from the bottom of the pack?

If you went looking there all you would find is Blair and blades of grass.

Seir mainly hangs out the periphery of the pack got 1 in the centre from a ruck tap, he immediately hot potatoé'd it back over his head before he could be tackled to a Casey player.
Didn't look to take the contact, free the hands and feed it out, rather stood tall and panic blind hand balled over his head before he got contact.

If you put Blairs mindset in Seirs body you would have a weapon of a player. Unfortunately it looks like both have what the other lacks.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just okay though. That's all you'll get from Keeffe there. It's one of the best games he's had up forward and he still only managed the one goal.

Factor in ball movement and delivery, and that he played high and had occasional run on the ball, was 1 of our better performers.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
How did Seir go? Lots of handballs. I can only assume from the bottom of the pack?

Saying he was ok is being kind.

Most of his touches were dinky no impact handballs. For a guy with "great size" he has no idea how to use it or impact the game... just floats around the pack and gets a few handballs. Had 9 disposals until 3 quarter time.

Every time I see him I am continually baffled why we decided to take him so high in the draft. Okay skills, okay athleticism, poor footy brain and struggles to find the footy.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood

Most of his touches were dinky no impact handballs. For a guy with "great size" he has no idea how to use it or impact the game... just floats around the pack and gets a few handballs. Had 9 disposals until 3 quarter time.

Every time I see him I am continually baffled why we decided to take him so high in the draft. Okay skills, okay athleticism, poor footy brain and struggles to find the footy.

Club need to do what they did with Harry O and send him to Tuddys house to have the s**t knocked through him and told to eat some cement.

Worked for H (on field at least) might work for Seir.

bYLBvd2.png

zJFXCH3.png

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not a lot to take from that.

Blair and Ramsay likely the pick of the senior players although Cox was very good early.

Thought Keeffe had a good game, best I've seen him play as a forward. He continues to find form and touch.

Kirby can expect a lot more treatment in future. He'll learn from that. Still looked our best forward across the 4 quarters.

Mayne his best game in a Collingwood jumper. If he can continue to bring that 4th quarter effort he'll get senior opportunities later in the season.

Daicos has some sublime cameo's but then vanishes. Improve his involvement and he'll get senior opportunities.

Lynch, McCarthy, and Mackie a long way off senior footy. Lynch and McCarthy have a moment here and there, Mackie is a concern.

Sier had a solid game but will need to do a lot more than that if he wants to be extended beyond 2017.

Schade had a shocker early. Gave away a few goals. Improved as the game unfolded but still not a game he'd like to rewatch.

Of the VFL players, Smith had a dirty day disposal wise. Doubt he hit a target all day. Lane, Tahana, Borthwick and Gray likely the pick of them.

All in all, a pretty ordinary game lost in a 10 minute patch in the 2nd.

THATSGOLD

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 21, 2005
the G.. home of the pies!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood

He's rubbish and will be delisted. ( I hope.)

Watched most of the game. Didn't think it was a bad result in the end, was good to see us fight to stay in the game late.

Kirby has a great bag of tricks but will hopefully learn a bit today about the mental side of the game. Needs to do a bit more than that to be considered for seniors, but he's definitely got the talent.

Daicos drifted in and out but showed a touch of class in close. I was impressed with his defensive pressure too. Would like to see him kick it more often though, he's normally a lovely kick.

I thought Keeffe was really good. Worked hard up and down the ground and provided a good target. He's not there yet, but hopefully builds towards providing an option for senior selection up forward at some stage.

Sier is a concern. He is quick and has an imposing frame but just does nothing. He won't be delisted at the end of the year but it's not impossible to see him rookied. Will hopefully benefit in some continuity, hopefully he stays fit to give himself a chance.

McClarty is raw but I saw a couple of things I liked. He has clean hands at ground level for his size and doesn't give away a lot in defensive 1on1s.

Ramsay responded well to being dropped I thought. Aish will want to play well I think, Ramsay could slot straight back into that spot.

Looked like heading towards being a blowout in the third quarter but credit to the boys for fighting back.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
He's rubbish and will be delisted. ( I hope.)

Scoreboard impact

Sier +6 points,
Schade -19 (at least from direct turnovers and skill errors)

What'd we lose by?

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I didn't see a second of the game because I was at a family gathering but what the hell is up with our handball to kicking ratio???

It's the wrong way around!!
Just for interest did you know

Kevin Bartlett would on career average pretty much kick the ball ten times and then one handball

So in 11 disposals only 1 was a handball.

Fonzeno1

Team Captain
Apr 19, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just for interest did you know

Kevin Bartlett would on career average pretty much kick the ball ten times and then one handball

So in 11 disposals only 1 was a handball.
Also just for interest
in 1993 Gary Ablett kicked 124 goals and 60 behinds from 233 kicks. He took 111 marks and only had 13 handballs for the entire year.

I didn't see a second of the game because I was at a family gathering but what the hell is up with our handball to kicking ratio???

It's the wrong way around!!

Agree. They where Mucking Around with the ball WAY to much

Back