Prediction Round 8: Changes Vs Hawks + prematch discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunno about that first bit... West Coast are doing a good job at providing opposition for 18th. North right in the hunt too if those teams somehow win a game too.

Unfortunately Hawthorn's best chance is tomorrow.
If wce stop tanking and stop withdrawing their players who have bruises then they'll finish higher than Hawks, might not happen though

I dunno is Wilson really good enough to move other players from their position or role to get him in?

Look I have nothing against him being selected but at the same time I'm not losing any sleep over him not being in the side either.

To get him in? That wasn't the point of the post though was it?

Don't worry guys: just 11 more games after this one and Hughes qualifies for father-son-daughter!

Seriously, why not ensure he gets there if he's that close, he's legitimately the best option we've got for the role now anyway, and it hardly makes us much better or worse as a team this year either way. It's a development and consolidation year.

Seriously, why not ensure he gets there if he's that close, he's legitimately the best option we've got for the role now anyway, and it hardly makes us much better or worse as a team this year either way. It's a development and consolidation year.
Some comedown from last year where we played a final in the MCG in front of 90k fans after beating the Dogs in an epic comeback.

Round 8 this year and it’s changed to “let’s get Ethan Hughes to 100 games”

I actually don’t even care anymore. The club has managed to drain most of my enthusiasm for AFL footy away in 7 weeks.

Maybe this is our strategy with Bailey too.

Can't see any other reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely we aren’t actually trying to get spuds to 100 games??
I thought those posts were a joke right?
As if guys like Banfield or Hughes are going to have kids that are elite AFL players anyway.
Gun FS players come from the likes of Marcus Ashcroft, who played 350 games or from Peter Daicos, one of the most talented players of the last 50 years, or Gary Ablett snr. Those types.
Not role playing fringe players

Surely we aren’t actually trying to get spuds to 100 games??
I thought those posts were a joke right?
As if guys like Banfield or Hughes are going to have kids that are elite AFL players anyway.
Gun FS players come from the likes of Marcus Ashcroft, who played 350 games or from Peter Daicos, one of the most talented players of the last 50 years, or Gary Ablett snr. Those types.
Not role playing fringe players
Nathan Ablett was a gun for sure.

I'm not sure the data on gun FS coming from gun dads plays out

Because Brodie had 1 tackle last week & went at 62% disposal efficiency
Also because Fyfe is the sub and he will go straight to the midfield when he goes on. Brodie and Fyfe would be one toke over the line in terms of slow extractors.

I expect Fyfe to go straight to the first centre bounce after he comes on, get the pill and be set upon by a pack of Sam Mitchell clones, all raising their knees in a froth of stumpy menace. It'll be like seeing a once-majestic lion be attacked by a pack of striped hyenas. He will try manfully to shake them off but will be pinged by the maggots and the resulting sound of collective groaning will suck any remaining hope from the room.

That's the upbeat version.

Or you not think like a rocket surgeon and think about putting talented players elsewhere to assist where we have major deficiencies
Think most of us are guilty of this lol...we see certain attributes that maybe transferrable if they were able to play in another position. The reality is the coaches know more, and it's possible they had experimented in the offseason but it wasn't publicly known. They found out perhaps they couldn't play that position even in a match simulation lol 😂

Nathan Ablett was a gun for sure.

I'm not sure the data on gun FS coming from gun dads plays out
You are backing up my point even more.
The chances of a gun FS are vanishingly small. Even the great players kids are mostly never as good at football as their parent was.
The chances of a poor AFL player that was carried to 100 games, having a son in that’s good enough to play AFL in 25 years time at a level better than their father, is probably about 1000/1.
There is about a 50 times more chance of selecting the next Dustin Martin in the second round of the MSD in a Few weeks.

So my point is this.
There are many criteria upon which a player gets selected for an AFL game. Talent, workrate, ability to fit the game plan, position etc etc.
Getting to 100 games is not one of those criteria and should never be. We don’t consciously select a weaker team just to get Ethan Hughes and Bailey Banfield (or indeed anyone else) to 100 games.

Most FS players that were any good were sons of legends of the clubs involved. Jonathan Brown one of the few that was significantly better than his dad.

When our MC sit down to pick a team every week this issue should not even be vaguely in their minds I would hope.

I don't agree with Brodie going out in isolation, but what is indicates to me is that Erasmus is likely to get a fair chunk of time through the midfield and for that purpose alone i am happy.

I dunno is Wilson really good enough to move other players from their position or role to get him in?

Look I have nothing against him being selected but at the same time I'm not losing any sleep over him not being in the side either.
I don’t rate Wilson either but he’s better than Hughes and we could potentially move Clark or Young to Hughes’s position on the wing and put Wilson down back.

Because Wobbly Punt's rant was quality and the vent thread is for venting, we are looking clear for the rain at actual game time right? Does any weather app have rain forecasted anywhere near gametime because I have 5 mls of rain between like 7am and 1pm

BOM has rain from 11am onwards.

"High chance of showers most likely in the afternoon and evening"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back