Prediction Round 8: Changes Vs Hawks + prematch discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

We aren't dealing with two equally likely things to happen, as much as an injury/head knock event is uncontrolled it's also far less unlikely than Fyfe maximising his playing minutes.

The two shouldn't be discussed as if the rare example invalidates the prudent approach.
Yeah but then if it doesn't happen, Fyfe gets subbed out anyway and doesn't play a full game

So why not just play Fyfe as the sub and keep the option open to replace an injury should it occur prior to Fyfe's planned entrance to the game?
Because imo Fyfe in gives us our best chance to win the first quarter for the first time this season, a start that is needed badly

Sick of having teams with 7 or more scoring shots against us in the first

Last 2 weeks we could have been down by 35 at quarter time

Edit: also remember what happened with Sonny? Maybe we win that game if he starts on the field?

Because imo Fyfe in gives us our best chance to win the first quarter for the first time this season, a start that is needed badly

Sick of having teams with 7 or more scoring shots against us in the first

Last 2 weeks we could have been down by 35 at quarter time

If we have one quarter of effort possible out of Fyfe, wouldn't we get best return for that when everyone else is already tired from playing three?

I can see an argument that an opposition team will move the ball more conservatively with a lead so we will have less chance to score from turnover - but our big issue is stoppage goals anyway and that opposition will enjoy a stoppage, safe boundary game - so they may take no risky ball movement options at all.

If we have one quarter of effort possible out of Fyfe, wouldn't we get best return for that when everyone else is already tired from playing three?

I can see an argument that an opposition team will move the ball more conservatively with a lead so we will have less chance to score from turnover - but our big issue is stoppage goals anyway and that opposition will enjoy a stoppage, safe boundary game - so they may take no risky ball movement options at all.
There's no way we are playing him if he's only good for one quarter

He has only missed 7 weeks, it hasn't been a year

Sonny reckons he is good for a whole game if needed, doing all preseason I'd say he would be close to that too

It's really hard trying to come from behind every game with a young team, it would be great to be in the contest at quarter time, gives the youngsters some belief too

Anyway decision was made, Fyfe is sub, hopefully kicks 3 in the last and wins us the game

Because Brodie had 1 tackle last week & went at 62% disposal efficiency
62% is a pretty normal disposal efficiency for an inside mid. I think GAJ went at around 65% for his career.

High disposal effenciency isn't necessary good for an inside mid. The reason they generally do poorly in disposal effenciency is due to high amounts of contested ball and pressure at stoppages.

It's a useless stat in isolation imo. Only if he won **** all contested ball and/or clearances and still had poor disposal effenciency would I be concerned by that stat (which is probably the case).

In contrast most defenders and wingers do very well is disposal effenciency even if they're just okay kicks. 65% for a HBF is genuinely poor. For an inside mid or forward that's actually a pretty reasonable number.

I wonder what game style we’ll play this week. I really enjoyed the first game, I was on the edge of my couch waiting to see if Cox would break the magical 20 mark figure. It’s so cool when you can fill your fantasy footy defence with Dockers.
I also quite like the “kick down the line at every opportunity“ style. I don’t normally sit on the wing at home games but now I wander over and stand there. You get an awesome view of the game, it’s like watching it on TV, and if you choose the correct wing the action is always right there in front of you.
Personally I’m hoping we do the hyper handball style again, it looked amazing on TV, I’d really like to see it live.
It’s a shame the AFL don’t do retro round anymore, what I would give to watch a grinding, one on one contest again, especially since we don’t really do contested footy anymore. I miss not being able to shout, “man up”, “don’t kick backwards”, “don’t handball, just kick it”.
Still, there’s plenty of other things to look forward to, which flank will Lukey Ryan kick the ball to? Will Hughesy crack 150 metres gained? Will Banfield lay a tackle? Will Jackson hold a mark? How many times will Pearce fumble? Being a Saturday night prime time game, will the Dockers poopy the bed?
Man I love going to the footy.
You must sit behind me, I'm retro-wedded to shouting “man up”, “don’t kick backwards”, “don’t handball, just kick it” (or its variant "just kick the bloody thing!") ad eternam. Find it works a treat....

Also because Fyfe is the sub and he will go straight to the midfield when he goes on. Brodie and Fyfe would be one toke over the line in terms of slow extractors.

I expect Fyfe to go straight to the first centre bounce after he comes on, get the pill and be set upon by a pack of Sam Mitchell clones, all raising their knees in a froth of stumpy menace. It'll be like seeing a once-majestic lion be attacked by a pack of striped hyenas. He will try manfully to shake them off but will be pinged by the maggots and the resulting sound of collective groaning will suck any remaining hope from the room.

That's the upbeat version.
That's too vivid for my good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BOM has rain from 11am onwards.

"High chance of showers most likely in the afternoon and evening"
Gotta love the BOM BOM BOMbmers (sorry, now "The Bureaux") forecasts speak.

That's like the mug down the pub at the TAB desk that predicts "High chance of handballs in the afternoon and evening" without actually saying which team, which player or what game he is talking about. Hopefully if there is rain it falls on those of you who have gardens that need it.

If it helps those going to the game feel any better, we are forecast to reach a balmy -1 in Canberra at 7:30 tomorrow night.
So enjoy your lovely warm wet game, you heathen animals.

It’s embarrassing isn’t it. Fyfe must be thinking WTF am I doing here looking at some of these clowns running around masquerading as AFL players while he’s still sitting on the pine.
I disagree, if Steph Curry can come off the bench in a play-off situation, any one can come off the bench. Fyfe has played one AFL in like 12 months. He needs to work into it

If we win it means * all. Hawks are literally trying to lose matches FFS.

I’ll be judging your hero Banfield and all the other whipping boys, and the coach based on what they serve up in the SCG next weekend, at Optus against Geelong in 2 weeks time and then again the following week against the dees in the MCG. If he kicks 10 goals in those 3 games I’ll change my mind. Anyone filling their boots against the soft kill this weekend should be disregarded

This is a no win game for the coach and the team.
Nothing is a no win game, win the first quarter, win contested ball, continue to show improvement in ball movement and regardless of the opposition then it’s progress. Same as the Brisbane game was bad but with promise

Last edited:
some of them just talk about betting against freo every week 🤦‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Please wise poster..... Tell me one thing that was positive about Freo going 0-10 in 2016?

Oh that's right , we kept our picks barring our 2nd rounder.

Imagine if the dockers went 0-23 an got the spoon? LoL

We get pick 1 don't we? Oh that's right that pick 1 heads to the demons LoL

The heat should still be on the coach. Because we would be 3 and 5 and haven't been able to beat anyone higher than 13th on the ladder.

We have been absolute dogshit this year. And the coach deserves all the heat in the sun for that.
I don't care if we end up 3-7 or even 2-8.

It is way better than 0-10.

I don't think the team is that bad. Things are not done right and the players at the club is shot with confidence

I agree with you. We aren't that bad. Which is why the coaching team deserves heat.
Well.... Here's the thing....

I still remember the last time we had a similar situation like this.

Yep, the Mark Harvey era of 2007-11. We were crippled with Injuries with 6-7 games to go.

We replaced mark Harvey with Ross Lyon.

Don't get me wrong I liked Justin Longmuir.

But I have posted this before and will post this again.

It seems like the average span of a dockers coach is 5 years.

Neesham was here from 1995-8. Drum lasted 2 and a half seasons.

Chris Connolly lasted from 2002- mid 2007. That was 5 and a half seasons.

Mark Harvey replaced him and lasted from mid 2007- 2011. That's 4 and a half seasons.

Ross Lyon comes in and lasted 8 seasons from 2012-19.

Justin Longmuir started here in 2020. It's 2023 and most of us wants him gone.

Well.... Here's the thing....

I still remember the last time we had a similar situation like this.

Yep, the Mark Harvey era of 2007-11. We were crippled with Injuries with 6-7 games to go.

We replaced mark Harvey with Ross Lyon.

Don't get me wrong I liked Justin Longmuir.

But I have posted this before and will post this again.

It seems like the average span of a dockers coach is 5 years.

Neesham was here from 1995-8. Drum lasted 2 and a half seasons.

Chris Connolly lasted from 2002- mid 2007. That was 5 and a half seasons.

Mark Harvey replaced him and lasted from mid 2007- 2011. That's 4 and a half seasons.

Ross Lyon comes in and lasted 8 seasons from 2012-19.

Justin Longmuir started here in 2020. It's 2023 and most of us wants him gone.
It’s tiring though.
Sack Jl and replace him with who? Do that and the players look elsewhere.
Brayshaw would then have played under 3 coaches, only played 107 games so far.

Just like under Ross in 2016 onwards, the assistants suck. Josh Carr to Joel Corey and it’s a different set up.
Most of all, Bell and perhaps Alcock. They should get the heat for stupid decisions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back