Toast Round 8 = Collingwood 77-48 Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure what the media don't understand about being a football supporter. Do they expect a polite round of applause and a "well done No. 23". Franklin has been a very successful player and will rank highly in the years to come. At that time people will not 'Boo' him. They might occasionally do so now because he is a high profile player who doesn't play for Collingwood and is therefore not entitled to any level of immunity. Great player or not. Minor players don't attract the enmity of the crowd unless they do something reprehensible. It is not a statement about his aboriginality.

It's all about spectators having a stake in the game. It's a stretch to expect supporters to come to the game, get over excited and anxious and then be indifferent towards the opposition. Within limits, it was ok for opposition players to try to physically intimidate N Daicos, they setting the tone. Spectators can only contribute vocally to that adversarial scene.

Thinking back to the Adam Goodes times, the media wanted to make it a big racial issue when it was simply a case of upsetting a player who'd proved to be gettable. Goodes was a great player and is respected as such.

That said, I'm not encouraging 'Booing' because it is a low and unimaginative bar, casting aspersions about his mother's taste in jellybeans is a much safer path.
The booing of 19 year old Ginnivan wasn't treated like this. Buddy is a veteran and can eat a boo sandwich. Storm in a teacup. The media runs with s**t like this and people give it oxygen.

I booed my mum. She made lasagna when I wanted meatballs.
FFS
Bring it down to the basement Mah!
Will Ferrell Movie GIF by filmeditor

First, they are not living off the back of COLA as they haven’t had it since 2014.

Second, academy listed players have been able to be bid on by rival clubs. Melbourne bid for Heeney but Sydney we’re allowed to use pick 18 to match it. Blakey could have chosen North and didn’t etc etc.

If not for Sydney’s (and other academy’s - Gold Coast, Brisbane and GWS) most of these interstate kids now getting picked up would have stuck to basketball or rugby, or rugby league etc. Heeney certainly would never have got on the radar if there were no Swans academy. He’d have gone back to rugby league. So I really don’t get the gripes about the setting up of Academies. I think they’ve been great for the game at producing nsw and qld talent

Third, f@ck Fitzroy and any other Victorian club. If south Melbourne got half the hand outs “Sydney” got they’d still be at Lakeside… Oh wait that’s right south Melbourne got punted up to Sydney by the other VFL clubs didn’t they??

Who seriously gives a s**t about Fitzroy still being in the comp? They had no supporters and money and merged with Brisbane. VFL clubs screwed them in favour of Port Adelaide.

Fourth, in your logic we got a “hand out from AFL” for tanking for Thomas and Pendlebury. Not long after that the priority picks were abolished. We also used our academies over the years to get Witts and McInnes etc not to mention the great luck we’ve had with Father Sons in recent years. The Father Son continues to be one of the biggest rorts in the game, but because its Victorian clubs that usually benefit from it most - no one in Victoria has a sook about it.

Fifth, SCG is far from trash. Their supporters are pretty decent (yes a bit clueless) but compared to arrogant s**t bags like Essendon and Geelong, Swans fans are a walk in the park. And Papley wanted to leave due to family issues. He’s since re-signed with the club hasn’t he?

I get it, you hate Sydney and that’s fine.

Just to me the whole academies and COLA schtick is way overblown - and mainly touted by our former President as an excuse as to why he failed to deliver us a premiership 21 out of his 22 years. Geelong, Hawthorn and Richmond had no problem securing 3 to 4 premierships each in the past 16 years. COLA and Academies didn’t stop them doing that.

Fact is, Swans have had great administration, playing group, coaching staff and culture for 20 years. I respect what they’ve achieved. So it’s great today that we have beaten them, I think it says a lot about our playing group, admin, coaching staff and culture since fly was appointed in late 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’d love to see them fold one day.

Interestingly on the Swans board, a couple of posters are getting into their blokes for getting stuck into Nick. Saying it was embarrassing etc.
There are quite a few decent blokes on BF. We need to remember that when the dead set ***** are carrying on about the journalists, commentators. other competing clubs and umpires.

An outsider's personal universal rankings after analysing the replay in detail for anyone who cares.
Everyone starts at 0 and goes up incrementally; accounting for the entire game (i.e. most players average out to a 5 and below that doesn't necessarily mean a "bad" game. 10's are rare and not everyone can be a stand out.)

D Moore 7
B Mihocek 7
-
J de Goey 6
W Hoskin-Elliott 6
S Pendlebury 6
T Adams 5
I Quaynor 5
S Sidebottom 5
T Mitchell 5
J Crisp 5
B Maynard 5
B Frampton 5
J Daicos 5
-
N Murphy 4
J Elliott 4
N Daicos 4
J Noble 4
A Johnson 3
M Cox 3
J Ginnivan (s) 3
-
O Markov 1
B McCreery 1
-
B Hill 0

Not interested, * off

Obviously not why they lost …

… but to fair it seems a bit classless and silly to boo Franklin. Dunno why people would do it?!?

The why of it really puzzles me.

Everyone’s complaining about giving it oxygen and yet its all that’s being talked about. We won, are top of the ladder. Enjoy that and move onto next week
As per Stormy’s post, please focus on the win etc in this thread.
Booing can be discussed here.

Opposition sides will soon learn that targeting Naicos is a bad idea. The team will get around him.

That goal he set up to whe in response to his direct opponent scoring was just gold. Even though it was early in the match it was a game changer.
There's score assists, and then there's "This guy is awesome" score assists.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fly's presser

You must be happy with the way your team fought the game out well?

Do you feel like you're the 'hunted' all of a sudden?

Possibly.

Were you expecting Sydney to do what they did in this game?

Did you like how the guys 'flew the flag' at the start?

Last week, you said you didn't want Nick Daicos to be the story and you even said it was a bit of a non-story, how's he coping with the added pressure and attention on him?

What did you think of the impact Jack Ginnivan had in the last quarter?

It looked like Jack [Ginnivan] was a bit 'stung' about being dropped?

What are the other things you're trying to see 'value' in?

Brody Mihocek had a career best 5 goals today. How proud are you to see him get rewarded for that?

How much did Mason Cox's return help your structure and free up Brody Mihocek to get on the end of a couple of goals?

On the Daicos tag, were there any tweaks to free him up or was it all him in the last quarter?

Taylor Adams was involved in a heavy collision in the last quarter, how is he?

How big was your skipper's performance today?

^ NOTE: Question was asked about Moore, but Fly started talking about Pendles instead. Must have forgotten for a moment that Pendles was no longer the skipper.

Give us your thoughts on Buddy being booed today?

This guy is superbly smart compared to most afl coaches.

Love how in the presser McRae was asked about how Ginni felt as sub. He said the coaches frame it with players as, you're in our best 23 players and you'll get your opportunity to play today.

Not sure why clubs can't just announce who is the sub when selecting the teams. The need to 'drop' a player then select him as sub is simply ridiculous. On par with not being allowed to boo the opposition.

I'm not sure what the media don't understand about being a football supporter. Do they expect a polite round of applause and a "well done No. 23". Franklin has been a very successful player and will rank highly in the years to come. At that time people will not 'Boo' him. They might occasionally do so now because he is a high profile player who doesn't play for Collingwood and is therefore not entitled to any level of immunity. Great player or not. Minor players don't attract the enmity of the crowd unless they do something reprehensible. It is not a statement about his aboriginality.

It's all about spectators having a stake in the game. It's a stretch to expect supporters to come to the game, get over excited and anxious and then be indifferent towards the opposition. Within limits, it was ok for opposition players to try to physically intimidate N Daicos, they setting the tone. Spectators can only contribute vocally to that adversarial scene.

Thinking back to the Adam Goodes times, the media wanted to make it a big racial issue when it was simply a case of upsetting a player who'd proved to be gettable. Goodes was a great player and is respected as such.

That said, I'm not encouraging 'Booing' because it is a low and unimaginative bar, casting aspersions about his mother's taste in jellybeans is a much safer path.

Very well said Bazza.

An outsider's personal universal rankings after analysing the replay in detail for anyone who cares.
Everyone starts at 0 and goes up incrementally; accounting for the entire game (i.e. most players average out to a 5 and below that doesn't necessarily mean a "bad" game. 10's are rare and not everyone can be a stand out.)

D Moore 7
B Mihocek 7
-
J de Goey 6
W Hoskin-Elliott 6
S Pendlebury 6
T Adams 5
I Quaynor 5
S Sidebottom 5
T Mitchell 5
J Crisp 5
B Maynard 5
B Frampton 5
J Daicos 5
-
N Murphy 4
J Elliott 4
N Daicos 4
J Noble 4
A Johnson 3
M Cox 3
J Ginnivan (s) 3
-
O Markov 1
B McCreery 1
-
B Hill 0

The best you can come up with for Checkers and Moore is 7? Off you trot, champion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back