Toast Round 8 = Collingwood 77-48 Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

The best you can come up with for Checkers and Moore is 7? Off you trot, champion.

I can make it artifically higher for no reason or justification if it makes you feel better. But only for you.

I track every single disposal, defensive effort, scoring chain and the like and it eventually rounds out a number that is universal and unbiased towards the game itself. E.g. if it's pissing down rain and it's the worst game of footy ever seen I don't care if it spit out low numbers for players because that's reflective of the quality of the match. If it's a 200-150 scoring game I don't care if I have 5 forwards and 8 midfielders with 9 or 10 because it probably reflects the high offensive power in that game.

When I say 'players average out to a 5' what I should probably change it to is that anything higher than 6 is generally a match defining game and if you are in the 9 or 10 it's an extraordinary game that usually happens less than once per game in a round.

Sometimes you just get a game of good performances and the 'standouts' only stand out because they are flashy in a dull game or because they play slightly above the rest by default.

In this game Mihocek may be a 10 but how does Mihocek's goal game this week compare to a Jeremy Cameron game where he might kick 7 and and have 3 assists too. Its silly they would both be 10 where one is alost certainly a better performance.
Out of interest, how did you rate the Sydney players?

Apologies if I missed them in your original post.

Out of interest, how did you rate the Sydney players?

Apologies if I missed them in your original post.

Sydney and Collingwood were pretty even teams. Sydney dominated possession but made way more errors. Sydney basically owned Q2 and Q3 while Collingwood owned Q1 and Q4 (no surprise).

Sydney and Collingwood were pretty even teams. Sydney dominated possession but made way more errors. Sydney basically owned Q2 and Q3 while Collingwood owned Q1 and Q4 (no surprise).
Think the way you score underrrates players like Quaynor and fox and overrates the major ball winners. For example I reckon Parker was terrible despite all the ball he won felt like he set up multiple Collingwood goals with bad handballs while WHE and Quaynor were 2 of our bests and Fox was close to your best

Looking at your ratings I would have put Warner higher than a 5.

The why of it really puzzles me.
It is the $million question. Is it tall poppy, is it radically based, is it cos he plays well against us, is it cos he pisses on shop walls, is it cos he is the only player fans recognise? We don't know & that is the problem. I think Goodes was booed for tall poppy, opposition & a bit of a knob but what I think is irrelevant since no one knew and it became a political football like it has with Buddy.

Simple rule: boo someone for what happens on the day, not for their existence.

It is the $million question. Is it tall poppy, is it radically based, is it cos he plays well against us, is it cos he pisses on shop walls, is it cos he is the only player fans recognise? We don't know & that is the problem. I think Goodes was booed for tall poppy, opposition & a bit of a knob but what I think is irrelevant since no one knew and it became a political football like it has with Buddy.

Simple rule: boo someone for what happens on the day, not for their existence.

I used to boo from time-to-time and got thinking about why. It was for one of two reasons. Either a dirty act by a player on the day. Or a bad umpiring decision. I grew up and stopped. I still can't get my head around the Buddy booing but think it's a combo of what you said + possibly an element of racism hiding behind those reasons, though doubt that would get admitted by anyone. I hope I'm wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thinking about last season and this. We play with such freedom now. The players and staff seem happy. DeGoey playing like he's had weight lifted off his shoulders, he's more consistent and calm.

Love what's happening at our club.
The way Jordy accepted that ridiculous deliberate OOB decision is a credit to him.
AJ was clearly unhappy about it.

I track every single disposal, defensive effort, scoring chain and the like and it eventually rounds out a number that is universal and unbiased towards the game itself. E.g. if it's pissing down rain and it's the worst game of footy ever seen I don't care if it spit out low numbers for players because that's reflective of the quality of the match. If it's a 200-150 scoring game I don't care if I have 5 forwards and 8 midfielders with 9 or 10 because it probably reflects the high offensive power in that game.

When I say 'players average out to a 5' what I should probably change it to is that anything higher than 6 is generally a match defining game and if you are in the 9 or 10 it's an extraordinary game that usually happens less than once per game in a round.

Sometimes you just get a game of good performances and the 'standouts' only stand out because they are flashy in a dull game or because they play slightly above the rest by default.

In this game Mihocek may be a 10 but how does Mihocek's goal game this week compare to a Jeremy Cameron game where he might kick 7 and and have 3 assists too. Its silly they would both be 10 where one is alost certainly a better performance.
My criticism would be Cox at 3, a which is a ridiculously low opinion of his game in my view. They’re your rankings though and always refreshing to get an outsiders perspective.

Thinking about last season and this. We play with such freedom now. The players and staff seem happy. DeGoey playing like he's had weight lifted off his shoulders, he's more consistent and calm.

Love what's happening at our club.
I loved our response at what the Swans attempted to do on the weekend,1st rate IMO.

Who does everyone think Jimmy Bartel was referring to from Sydney as someone who was gobbing off in the Daicos melee but barely wins a contested possession?

McInerney I think
Interesting.

He said he saw a couple from the Swans, and one in particular who does it every week, and for him to get back to his position instead of gobbing off.

McInerney had 3 contested possessions on Sunday from 23 disposals and Oli Florent had 3 contested possessions from 29 disposals. They'd be the two I would've guessed, looking at their stats.

Interesting.

He said he saw a couple from the Swans, and one in particular who does it every week, and for him to get back to his position instead of gobbing off.

McInerney had 3 contested possessions on Sunday from 23 disposals and Oli Florent had 3 contested possessions from 29 disposals. They'd be the two I would've guessed, looking at their stats.
Only a guess but I saw McInerney in everyone’s face all game and know he’s soft as butter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back