AFL Autopsy Round 8: Done by Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

So many players are straight up turnover merchants. Butchers. Can't kick over a bloody coke can.
I would love to see that bogus disposal efficiency stat without those bullshit cheap kicks and handballs our game style relys on factored in.

Main culprits of under 12 style disposal errors are parish, heppel, zaharakis, merret who are our main 4 midfielders. Special mentions to Hurley and Goddard who love turning it over at least twice a game each at crucial times in defence and a huge shout out to our forward line when lining up for a set shot.

I pour $1300 into memberships yearly, and I'll continue to do so because I'm sadly a football tragic. I can't believe I'm jealous of Richmond fans, to go for a team that is actually lerforming to their potential just seems so foreign right now.

Just gotta remember that if you hold fat through the tough times, the good times are that much sweeter.

Disagree.
Ridley has been playing defence in the VFL and can not play in the ruck. He is also not the size to play on the bigger forwards.
Yesterday the move was to play Hurley on Curnow. Hooker had McKay. Ambrose , well please yourself.
McKernan keeps Stewart out of the ruck. In fact I would keep McKernan not only in the side but also next year. He may be an average ruck but he has more to offer than Burger does now. Burger is only taking ruck time from Draper in the VFL.
The side looked better with McKernan in.

Agree with Bags. Not really up to it anymore.

We'll have to agree to disagree - McKernan will never get the one defender which a Hooker and JD which makes the job of Stewart easier - I am happy for Stewart to spend some time in the ruck - Stewart is an improved player but not up to it to consistently take the number one defender and he'll face better defenders than Rowe most weeks - Looking at the bigger picture if you have Ambrose and Hooker in the defence it's less likely Hurley will play as a key back - Anyway ultimately we have to find a way to blend younger players into the team.

worst stat of yesterday?

Carlton teenagers; 3 (Lochie O'Brien, Paddy Dow, Zac Fisher)
Essendon teenagers; 0

Worsfold reckons we couldn’t mix any more youth into the side given we already have 26 year old Benny McNiece in there.

I seriously think he’s lost his mind.

We'll have to agree to disagree - McKernan will never get the one defender which a Hooker and JD which makes the job of Stewart easier - I am happy for Stewart to spend some time in the ruck - Stewart is an improved player but not up to it to consistently take the number one defender and he'll face better defenders than Rowe most weeks - Looking at the bigger picture if you have Ambrose and Hooker in the defence it's less likely Hurley will play as a key back - Anyway ultimately we have to find a way to blend younger players into the team.
Fair enough but McKernan took 8 marks and kicked a couple of goals plus is much better than Stewart in the ruck and around the ground. Having him in the side is far from our biggest problem.

worst stat of yesterday?

Carlton teenagers; 3 (Lochie O'Brien, Paddy Dow, Zac Fisher)
Essendon teenagers; 0

Oh no we did not play anyone under 20 :rolleyes:
Who under 20 did you want to play ? Jordan Houlihan or Trent Mynott ?

What hurt me the most, is the lack of intensity and urgency. We were down by 2-3 goals most of the last quarter yet we played as if we were 10 goals down. Could tell it was all over from the 5 minute mark of Q4.
Up to maybe the last 2 minutes I was in sweats that we would lose it, despite the cold weather and a couple of beers at halftime. When you haven't won all year you take nothing for granted.

Short memories eh.
Your club drafted 18 players from 2008-12.

Two are currently still on your list.
Not one top 40 pick for you in that time is still at your club. Not one.

If there is one club that cant talk about draft mistakes it is your mob. At least Parish and Francis are still wearing our colours and McGrath has a rising star to go with them
Agreed. But if you're comparing your club's drafting to us from that period, you're probably already in trouble.

Disagree.
Ridley has been playing defence in the VFL and can not play in the ruck. He is also not the size to play on the bigger forwards.
Yesterday the move was to play Hurley on Curnow. Hooker had McKay. Ambrose , well please yourself.
McKernan keeps Stewart out of the ruck. In fact I would keep McKernan not only in the side but also next year. He may be an average ruck but he has more to offer than Burger does now. Burger is only taking ruck time from Draper in the VFL.
The side looked better with McKernan in.

Agree with Bags. Not really up to it anymore.
The Curnow/Ambrose matchup lost the game. Can only think Woosha didn't think Hurley could keep up aerobically if Curnow ran him around all day.

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As bad as some of the players were, if you dont give worsfold 3 votes for WOG then you have no idea. Was one of the worst performance of a coach i have ever seen.

Not even saying he cant turn it around but he had a shocker. outcoached. Must be hard for the players at times when the coach put in a performance that makes there chances of winning a game a whole lot harder. Bad couple of weeks and hopefully he comes into some coaching form soon.

Up to maybe the last 2 minutes I was in sweats that we would lose it, despite the cold weather and a couple of beers at halftime. When you haven't won all year you take nothing for granted.

Agreed. But if you're comparing your club's drafting to us from that period, you're probably already in trouble.

The Curnow/Ambrose matchup lost the game. Can only think Woosha didn't think Hurley could keep up aerobically if Curnow ran him around all day.

AGREE 100%. We also had hooker to try on curnow but didnt even try on of him or hurley.

The other match up was ed curnow on merret. Yet worsfold refused to try merret deep forward to beat the tag. Both of those match ups were the difference and easily fixable in my opinion.

Charlie Curnow could have had a real day out but missed a couple of easy ones.

AGREE 100%. We also had hooker to try on curnow but didnt even try on of him or hurley.

The other match up was ed curnow on merret. Yet worsfold refused to try merret deep forward to beat the tag. Both of those match ups were the difference and easily fixable in my opinion.

Charlie Curnow could have had a real day out but missed a couple of easy ones.

Interesting, I was thinking moving Merrett to the opposite flank with Goddard. Lamb can't go to both.

I know a lot if guys came back from their suspension due to the suppliment situation, but with their apparent lack of leadership, is there a chance they never completely came back? I mean that live and breathe for the club leadership that comes from knowing you've got the clubs back and the club has yours and that undying belief in your club. Its like their spirits are broken and its having a drip effect on the new blood.

I know a lot if guys came back from their suspension due to the suppliment situation, but with their apparent lack of leadership, is there a chance they never completely came back? I mean that live and breathe for the club leadership that comes from knowing you've got the clubs back and the club has yours and that undying belief in your club. Its like their spirits are broken and its having a drip effect on the new blood.
They were suspended in 16, played all last year and made finals with the circumstances you describe. If it's holding us back at all, it isn't much, and it's certainly not our biggest problem right now.

Hurley, Zaharakis, Colyer, Merrett, Heppell, Daniher, Gleeson, Baguley are all still on our list.
We got 100 games out of Howlett too.
Already ahead.

Moot point though i suppose. I brought it up cause a smug blues supporter came on this board having a go at our draft decisions.

It could be that or the recently discovered new system where the coaches heavily restrict communication with each other and also the players on game day.

We call it Zen and the Art of football by JW. Our coaches box experience is so quiet they part rent the room as a mediation retreat. Players contemplate the sound of one hand clapping at half time and get passed cryptic notes from anonymous assistant coaches like "if you were the football, where would you be?".

Anything goes at Essendon these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back