Preview Round 8: Essendon vs Hawthorne, Docklands, Saturday 07/05/22 @ 7:25 PM

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost 2 decades of system-based football hammered in to the playing group will do that. Rutten is trying to do now, what Clarkson was trying to do in 2005. Teach system based football.

Mitchell hasn't had to come in the revolutionise the wheel, or teach a senior playing group how to play to a system, he's got a much easier deal than Rutten does, and they're also fielding a side significantly more experienced than EFC is.
Probably for the D&T thread, but there is a strong argument for bringing in a couple of more senior role players that can at least understand the system. For example, there is little point in trying to teach Stewart. May as well bring in a system educated player to have as an on-field coach.

Then why send him forward again?
Over Your Head Joke GIF

Probably for the D&T thread, but there is a strong argument for bringing in a couple of more senior role players that can at least understand the system. For example, there is little point in trying to teach Stewart. May as well bring in a system educated player to have as an on-field coach.

We've got plenty of cap space to pursue some mature leaders. Mundy as a coach would be very appealing, hugely underrated.

I'm intrigued to see what we do, the last two off-seasons have netted Wright + Hind and Jake Kelly who've all been astute choices.

Would love to see McGrath or Caldwell dropped for this one. It seems some players are held up to certain standards and others aren't.

Would love to see McGrath or Caldwell dropped for this one. It seems some players are held up to certain standards and others aren't.
So drop McGrath who is one of the only midfielders we have currently playing to at least make consistent effort to run both ways? I don't think that's a good message.

Out: toothless zone defence
In: Man to Man effort

Lav - Reid - Kelly
Reddog - Ridley - McGrath
Cutler - Perkins - Martin
Cox - Stringer - Parish
Guelfi - 2MP - Waterman

Draper - Merrett - Caldwell

Bench: Heppell - Shiel - Durham - Bryan
SUB: Hobbs

I rate Perkins, he is the long term A-Grader we need, time to up his midfield minutes rather than wasting away in a forward line with poor supply(both volume and delivery).

Would rather put Jones in but in his absence might as well run two ruckman, not like our forward pressure can be much worse.
In spades.

Time to go man on man, we do not have the players/will/skill to implement zone footy. We need to stop the ridiculous opposition goal to goal exits. Need to learn to mind a player first, back to basics.

McGrath back where he plays his best footy, that tackle on Weightman was awesome, much like the game against Betts and Gray.
I like McGrath back. However in the short term I'd prefer McGrath in the middle with Shiel, Merrett and Parish dropped until they learn to defend but we know that won't happen because you can't have three subs.

I like McGrath back. However in the short term I'd prefer McGrath in the middle with Shiel, Merrett and Parish dropped until they learn to defend but we know that won't happen because you can't have three subs.
Merrett and Parish both offer more than McGrath in the midfield, problem is only 1 of the 3 can kick straight.

Merrett and Parish both offer more than McGrath in the midfield, problem is only 1 of the 3 can kick straight.
Parish and Merrett offer very little in defending transition, that's my point. Once they fix that they come back in the midfield without doubt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In spades.

Time to go man on man, we do not have the players/will/skill to implement zone footy. We need to stop the ridiculous opposition goal to goal exits. Need to learn to mind a player first, back to basics.

What's the point?

We're not winning our next Premiership playing man-on-man defence. So why waste our time playing it, to win a game or two short-term, to be no closer to a Premiership winning side?

What's the point?

We're not winning our next Premiership playing man-on-man defence. So why waste our time playing it, to win a game or two short-term, to be no closer to a Premiership winning side?
Maybe to teach them that footy is actually a contact sport and to expose them to what it takes to actually spread and run. Doubt any of our team could keep up to the opposition anyway.

Jogging is not playing footy!

Drop most off the team and try and win a VFL game
The only available players at the moment are; Ham, Hind, Shiel, Zerk-Thatcher, Bryan, Brand, Eyre, Lord, McDonagh. Potentially Smith and Francis if healthy.

We couldn't drop everyone if we wanted to, and I'm not sure rewarding players who were already dropped for form or not playing their role is going to help much.

We desperately need pace in the forward line and players willing to apply manic pressure, the ball exits far too easily and quickly and doesn’t give enough time for the players up the field to set the ground up properly to defend, fix this and we’ll see much better performances.

Hobbs needs to get a run in the midfield this week (or at least on a wing). Baldwin out and play Cox up forward (if fit). Hind in for Perkins who needs a spell. Shiel stays in the 22.

We desperately need pace in the forward line and players willing to apply manic pressure, the ball exits far too easily and quickly and doesn’t give enough time for the players up the field to set the ground up properly to defend, fix this and we’ll see much better performances.
Thats a very good insight.

Please come back and join us on our board so we can discuss how you're going.

So drop McGrath who is one of the only midfielders we have currently playing to at least make consistent effort to run both ways? I don't think that's a good message.

If that was McGrath making an effort to run defensively against the Dogs, we’re in real trouble.

He and Caldwell were worse (defensively) than Merrett, Parish and Shiel, which is saying something.

Things I'd like to see this week and going forward:
Ridley to play higher up the ground, his foot skills are wasted so deep in defence and his intercept ability has been reduced by his current role. Half back please.
We need more go forward from our backline in general. Redman, Ridley and McGrath can do this, Heppell does not.
Hind to go forward to kick start his stalling year. Forward line desperately needs pace.
Smith to come back in to replace Baldwin, the kid just needs bulk development in the 2s and we should back Smith's defensive strengths.
Cox needs a position that is not wing, he looks like a CHB to my eye.
Laverde and Kelly are too close to the same player, it's one or the other and Kelly is a better defender.

Team:
B: McGrath Reid Kelly
HB: Redman Cox Ridley
C: Martin Caldwell Durham
HF: Perkins Stringer Guelfi
F: Smith Wright Hind
R: Draper Merrett Parish
Bench: Shiel Hobbs Cutler Heppell

On CPH2065 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back