• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think both are playing 90% game time
I’d say Bryan will play max 75% game time
Eh, most players go between 80 and 90 so I usually round up

Think it'll be tough for Waterman on Sicily, Waterman isn't a great runner and is a solid player but had 7 touches no goals and isn't a pressure player, watched you lads live last week and he was just dreadful. Sicily should peel off him for fun, so i wouldn't be shocked to see you match him up on someone else.

Sicily is a super one on one player so if we need him to go to Wright or a resting ruck he can and will.

Agree with this - Sicily would absolutely take Waterman to the cleaners if they end up matched up at some stage. Besides set shot goal kicking Sicily has Waterman covered in every aspect of the game, and is also a far superior athlete - taller, stronger, faster, bigger tank, bigger leap etc

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rutten talking up our 'aggression' this week, which is his coachspeak for forward ball movement rather than crabbing and backward passes so much, I think. Maybe more forward handballs.
If so, that sounds like a response to any player confusion about what the coaches want to see.

Think it'll be tough for Waterman on Sicily, Waterman isn't a great runner and is a solid player but had 7 touches no goals and isn't a pressure player, watched you lads live last week and he was just dreadful. Sicily should peel off him for fun, so i wouldn't be shocked to see you match him up on someone else.

Sicily is a super one on one player so if we need him to go to Wright or a resting ruck he can and will.

If Sicily is being forced to defend Wright or Bryan then I’d say that’s a win for Essendon. I’d much rather Frost racking up intercepts than Sicily.

Rutten talking up our 'aggression' this week, which is his coachspeak for forward ball movement rather than crabbing and backward passes so much, I think. Maybe more forward handballs.
If so, that sounds like a response to any player confusion about what the coaches want to see.
Players: "So Truck let us get this straight, you expect us to run back to defend AND run forward in attack? Look, it made sense when you were teaching us to run back to defend but no one ever said anything about still having to run forward. You can't have it both ways!"

Peter Defazio GIF by GIPHY News

Last edited:
Agree with this - Sicily would absolutely take Waterman to the cleaners if they end up matched up at some stage. Besides set shot goal kicking Sicily has Waterman covered in every aspect of the game, and is also a far superior athlete - taller, stronger, faster, bigger tank, bigger leap etc

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
So if you were coach for a day and the match up did happen, how would you counteract it?

Since last time...

ESSENDON OUTS: Stringer, Jones, Stewart, Langford, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Cahill, Zerk-Thatcher, Hooker, Cox, Ham, Smith
ESSENDON INS: Kelly, Shiel, Cutler, Waterman, Martin, Bryan, McGrath, Reid, Caldwell, Durham, Hobbs

HAWTHORNE OUTS: McEvoy, Cousins, Shiels, Jiath, Ceglar, Howe, Phillips, O'Brien, Burgoyne
HAWTHORNE INS: Callow, Maginness, Sicily, Lynch, Ward, Worpel, Morrison, Gunston, Grainger-Barras

Grim

If Sicily is being forced to defend Wright or Bryan then I’d say that’s a win for Essendon. I’d much rather Frost racking up intercepts than Sicily.
Sicily has done it this year and still intercepted. Look at his game against Geelong. Beat both Hawkins and Cameron.

Since last time...

ESSENDON OUTS: Stringer, Jones, Stewart, Langford, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Cahill, Zerk-Thatcher, Hooker, Cox, Ham, Smith
ESSENDON INS: Kelly, Shiel, Cutler, Waterman, Martin, Bryan, McGrath, Reid, Caldwell, Durham, Hobbs

HAWTHORNE OUTS: McEvoy, Cousins, Shiels, Jiath, Ceglar, Howe, Phillips, O'Brien, Burgoyne
HAWTHORNE INS: Callow, Maginness, Sicily, Lynch, Ward, Worpel, Morrison, Gunston, Grainger-Barras

Grim
Jiath is really the only big out for us since then. We have no Lewis/Reeves but didn’t play last time. McEvoy also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have no forward anywhere as good as Hawk or Cameron so is Hawthorne going to show us mercy and play two defenders short? Sicily v 2MP, Waterman & resting ruck to give us a chance?
It’ll be a good game if you guys can get the gameplan right. Talent is there. Maybe not forward? Midfield tho yes.

Hmm, I actually think we'll win this.

Draper and Bryan will just use Lynch as a step-ladder in the middle. He's a short ruck who doesn't seem to be able to get off the ground to any great degree.

That enable us to keep the midfield game on the outside where we have the ability to shred the Hawks mids who are not quick. Reeves is a big loss because he can dictate the shape of the stoppage battle.

I know they had a real dip at Melbourne and laid out some defensive plans but defence has not otherwise been a strong suit for the Hawks so far.

I expect this will look like circle work. We're not that far away when playing circle work.

Team balance looks pretty good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back