Status
Not open for further replies.

Lana

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
GWS
Round 8 Collingwood v Geelong Preview

After 7 rounds our season is at a cross roads, we are currently 4-3 and while we haven’t played any poor games, our three losses have been as a result of us not putting in the full four quarter performance. Collingwood are in a similar position, outperforming preseason expectations and they could be on the way to reversing the long trend of worse year on year results by the Buckley lead team.

Collingwood’s playing style

Against Brisbane, Collingwood’s first instinct upon gaining possession (either at the stoppage or on a turnover) was to move the ball fast and long before their opposition had time to setup behind the ball bombing it inside 50 rather than picking out a target. Once Brisbane had set up their preferred method of ball movement was short zig zag kicks or handball chains up the wings, using a long bailout kick up the line if this wasn’t possible. On a counter attack off half back they weren’t afraid to attack through the corridor if there was space through the middle. They did a few safe switches of the ball at half back but it wasn’t done often. Collingwood’s key forwards were pretty ineffectual all night. Cox took a great grab after a long kick out which lead to a scoring chain that lead to their last goal.

Early in the game they took plenty of intercept marks but it is hard to tell if that was by design or through Brisbane’s poor footskills especially inside fifty as they game went on Brisbane got better at kicking it to a contest and bring it to ground. Collingwood heavily favour the zoning of space, once the ball hit the ground they were extremely vulnerable. On a Brisbane kick-in they were content to have a low zone, keeping the pockets free and endeavoured to keep the shape rather than press once the ball went to ground. Their aggression with the ball gave Brisbane plenty of opportunities on the counter attack which they used to good effect.

The game was quite even at the stoppages, both ruckmen were pretty even , Collingwood were better at moving the ball from the stoppage to free player on the outside, Brisbane at times Brisbane were awful with Hodge being the worst offender, just fumbling the ball as they got it clear. Once Pendlebury went off in the 4th Brisbane gained ascendancy in the centre clearances.

After Brisbane kicked a behind, Collingwood constantly kicked it short into the pocket and worked the ball forward slowly with a few short kicks close to the boundary as they avoided Brisbane’s press to good effect. Late in the game once the scores were within a goal was on Murry kicked two kick outs in a row long to a contest on the boundary.

Overall it was a pretty low quality game from Collingwood, reminding me a little of how Essendon played under our current assistant coach Matthew Knights. I expect Buckley to be quite pissed off with their execution and I suspect that their aggression could be somewhat tempered next week.

Geelong’s Playing Style

I can’t help but compare how much our playing style has changed to last years’; we’re playing most the direct football since probably 2013. Last year our immediate response to getting the ball off half back was to switch the ball and attack up the fat side of the ground and safety inch the ball to a packed F50, this year we’re much more willing to move the ball fast and kick long with Hawkins providing the roaming outlet target which we have missed since our attempt to retire Podsiadly at the end of 2013.

Now this maybe a reaction to our underperforming midfield group, we haven’t been losing the territory battle this bad since 2015, the last time we chose to have Stanley as our first choice ruckman. Scott has come out and spoken that Selwood and Dangerfield have been playing under duress, so I’m ever hopeful that we’ll turn this around towards as the year goes on. Nevertheless we’re finally playing with an attacking flare that many here longed for in the past few years.

I feel like this is a response to our matches against Sydney last year, where their press destroyed our attempts to switch in an embarrassing fashion, on a more positive note we saw how playing a deep forward could disrupt their defensive structure and while creating a lot of extra space for our forwards to work with. Currently teams are playing as if there is an offside rule, but it would be a brave team that lets a player stay 50 metres goal side off their last defender. While we’ve used more players than just Dangerfield in this role, he is close to unstoppable if we can get the ball down to him. It will be interesting to see if can sustain a deep forward as the novelty of the move wears off.

Two weeks ago, Sydney exposed a significant weakness our team when they refused to allow us to play a +1 behind the ball. I’m surprised that GWS didn’t attempt to emulate this last week, and I expect Collingwood to attempt this. In the absence of Henderson and Taylor it has been left tp Stewart, Kolodjashnij and Henry to continue the great Geelong tradition of intercept marking. They have made such incredible strides in the last six matches and with time their synergy will only improve. This will enable them to create a temporary +1 even when the opposition attempts to even up the numbers.

For quite a few years our forward-line has been next to useless at crumbing goals, we’d get heaps of I50s, but relatively few scores off a spilled mark. A large cause of this is that our forward line was flooded due to our extra careful ball movement, but this year the extra space has made our forwards extremely threatening once the ball has hit the ground.

Key Match ups

While the midfield battle as a whole is pivotal, they are less match ups and more whoever is standing near each other at the time.

Stanley v Grundy

On paper this matchup is a disaster, Grundy has been in All Australian form this year being a complete package in both in the ruck contests and around the ground. On the positive side Stanley has played a few good quarters within games in this year and he wasn’t beaten by GWS’ makeshift ruck pair last week and took quite a few decent marks around the ground. I just hope that while Grundy is dominating, Stanley gives us something back, a couple of intercept marks or a goal would be enough in my book. They probably wanted to play Smith against GWS to get him ready to play against Grundy but I wouldn’t pull that trigger now. I would show Stanley a tape of Martin’s match with the hope of inspiring him.

Mark Blicavs v Mason Cox

Mason Cox is one of the most unique players in the AFL, who knows what kind of player he could have been had he had grown up playing the sport. He has played a few of his better games against us with Taylor struggling to deal with his size advantage. Blicavs has been a rock for us in defence this year, if he can avoid giving away free kicks close to goal I figure that we’ll be doing alright. What happens up the ground will determine the outcome of this match up. We did well against GWS to prevent them getting quick ball movement I50, which limited the number of dangerous 1 on 1s I50. If Stewart, Henry and Kolodjashnij are able to intercept effectively then Collingwood are effectively playing a man down.

Hawkins v Dunn

In their the past few match Dunn has scragged Hawkins out of the game deploying whatever dirty tactic he could get away. Hawkins of 2018 is a completely different proposition, playing higher up the ground, he is much more likely to lead then engage in wrestle. He lead Davis on a marry dance around the ground, he’ll try do the same to Dunn. I’m assuming that Hawkins will get off with a fine as he was just trying to shake the umpire’s hand.

Prediction

Given that Collingwood snuck over the line against a winless Brisbane, I expect them to be a little less introspective of how they performed then had they lost. Our past underperformance against them has been driven by poor results at the centre bounces in the first half, equalizing them there will be an important factor in keeping their confidence down. Our young team is quite unsure of its strength at the moment and they can start games quite hesitantly, it is up to our senior players to set a good example and lead the way. Our defence is better organised to handle Collingwood’s all-out attack, and we should have no issue taking full advantage any space created by a turnover.

Geelong by 30 points

Since 2005, Collingwood have the best head-to-head record against us over anyone else.

They'll push us again this week. Grundy was good today against Martin who's quality - he'll s**t on Stanley's head, no problem.
They must have some sort of meeting showing the replay of all the finals games between us to fire them up and for them to consistently play so well against us. I imagine in that situation Varcoe just stands around awkwardly.

Our defensive game should stop Collingwood's run, but being at the MCG with the wider flanks, I suspect our guys will struggle a bit. Can't fall into the trap of letting them stretch our zone out so they can find holes to get through. I feel this happens too much when we play at the G especially after we've had a few games at home and are too accustomed to playing on our narrow ground. The boys need to spend the week at Deakin training on the G-sized oval there.

Round 8 Collingwood v Geelong Preview

After 7 rounds our season is at a cross roads, we are currently 4-3 and while we haven’t played any poor games, our three losses have been as a result of us not putting in the full four quarter performance. Collingwood are in a similar position, outperforming preseason expectations and they could be on the way to reversing the long trend of worse year on year results by the Buckley lead team.

Collingwood’s playing style

Against Brisbane, Collingwood’s first instinct upon gaining possession (either at the stoppage or on a turnover) was to move the ball fast and long before their opposition had time to setup behind the ball bombing it inside 50 rather than picking out a target. Once Brisbane had set up their preferred method of ball movement was short zig zag kicks or handball chains up the wings, using a long bailout kick up the line if this wasn’t possible. On a counter attack off half back they weren’t afraid to attack through the corridor if there was space through the middle. They did a few safe switches of the ball at half back but it wasn’t done often. Collingwood’s key forwards were pretty ineffectual all night. Cox took a great grab after a long kick out which lead to a scoring chain that lead to their last goal.

Early in the game they took plenty of intercept marks but it is hard to tell if that was by design or through Brisbane’s poor footskills especially inside fifty as they game went on Brisbane got better at kicking it to a contest and bring it to ground. Collingwood heavily favour the zoning of space, once the ball hit the ground they were extremely vulnerable. On a Brisbane kick-in they were content to have a low zone, keeping the pockets free and endeavoured to keep the shape rather than press once the ball went to ground. Their aggression with the ball gave Brisbane plenty of opportunities on the counter attack which they used to good effect.

The game was quite even at the stoppages, both ruckmen were pretty even , Collingwood were better at moving the ball from the stoppage to free player on the outside, Brisbane at times Brisbane were awful with Hodge being the worst offender, just fumbling the ball as they got it clear. Once Pendlebury went off in the 4th Brisbane gained ascendancy in the centre clearances.

After Brisbane kicked a behind, Collingwood constantly kicked it short into the pocket and worked the ball forward slowly with a few short kicks close to the boundary as they avoided Brisbane’s press to good effect. Late in the game once the scores were within a goal was on Murry kicked two kick outs in a row long to a contest on the boundary.

Overall it was a pretty low quality game from Collingwood, reminding me a little of how Essendon played under our current assistant coach Matthew Knights. I expect Buckley to be quite pissed off with their execution and I suspect that their aggression could be somewhat tempered next week.

Geelong’s Playing Style

I can’t help but compare how much our playing style has changed to last years’; we’re playing most the direct football since probably 2013. Last year our immediate response to getting the ball off half back was to switch the ball and attack up the fat side of the ground and safety inch the ball to a packed F50, this year we’re much more willing to move the ball fast and kick long with Hawkins providing the roaming outlet target which we have missed since our attempt to retire Podsiadly at the end of 2013.

Now this maybe a reaction to our underperforming midfield group, we haven’t been losing the territory battle this bad since 2015, the last time we chose to have Stanley as our first choice ruckman. Scott has come out and spoken that Selwood and Dangerfield have been playing under duress, so I’m ever hopeful that we’ll turn this around towards as the year goes on. Nevertheless we’re finally playing with an attacking flare that many here longed for in the past few years.

I feel like this is a response to our matches against Sydney last year, where their press destroyed our attempts to switch in an embarrassing fashion, on a more positive note we saw how playing a deep forward could disrupt their defensive structure and while creating a lot of extra space for our forwards to work with. Currently teams are playing as if there is an offside rule, but it would be a brave team that lets a player stay 50 metres goal side off their last defender. While we’ve used more players than just Dangerfield in this role, he is close to unstoppable if we can get the ball down to him. It will be interesting to see if can sustain a deep forward as the novelty of the move wears off.

Two weeks ago, Sydney exposed a significant weakness our team when they refused to allow us to play a +1 behind the ball. I’m surprised that GWS didn’t attempt to emulate this last week, and I expect Collingwood to attempt this. In the absence of Henderson and Taylor it has been left tp Stewart, Kolodjashnij and Henry to continue the great Geelong tradition of intercept marking. They have made such incredible strides in the last six matches and with time their synergy will only improve. This will enable them to create a temporary +1 even when the opposition attempts to even up the numbers.

For quite a few years our forward-line has been next to useless at crumbing goals, we’d get heaps of I50s, but relatively few scores off a spilled mark. A large cause of this is that our forward line was flooded due to our extra careful ball movement, but this year the extra space has made our forwards extremely threatening once the ball has hit the ground.

Key Match ups

While the midfield battle as a whole is pivotal, they are less match ups and more whoever is standing near each other at the time.

Stanley v Grundy

On paper this matchup is a disaster, Grundy has been in All Australian form this year being a complete package in both in the ruck contests and around the ground. On the positive side Stanley has played a few good quarters within games in this year and he wasn’t beaten by GWS’ makeshift ruck pair last week and took quite a few decent marks around the ground. I just hope that while Grundy is dominating, Stanley gives us something back, a couple of intercept marks or a goal would be enough in my book. They probably wanted to play Smith against GWS to get him ready to play against Grundy but I wouldn’t pull that trigger now. I would show Stanley a tape of Martin’s match with the hope of inspiring him.

Mark Blicavs v Mason Cox

Mason Cox is one of the most unique players in the AFL, who knows what kind of player he could have been had he had grown up playing the sport. He has played a few of his better games against us with Taylor struggling to deal with his size advantage. Blicavs has been a rock for us in defence this year, if he can avoid giving away free kicks close to goal I figure that we’ll be doing alright. What happens up the ground will determine the outcome of this match up. We did well against GWS to prevent them getting quick ball movement I50, which limited the number of dangerous 1 on 1s I50. If Stewart, Henry and Kolodjashnij are able to intercept effectively then Collingwood are effectively playing a man down.

Hawkins v Dunn

In their the past few match Dunn has scragged Hawkins out of the game deploying whatever dirty tactic he could get away. Hawkins of 2018 is a completely different proposition, playing higher up the ground, he is much more likely to lead then engage in wrestle. He lead Davis on a marry dance around the ground, he’ll try do the same to Dunn. I’m assuming that Hawkins will get off with a fine as he was just trying to shake the umpire’s hand.

Prediction

Given that Collingwood snuck over the line against a winless Brisbane, I expect them to be a little less introspective of how they performed then had they lost. Our past underperformance against them has been driven by poor results at the centre bounces in the first half, equalizing them there will be an important factor in keeping their confidence down. Our young team is quite unsure of its strength at the moment and they can start games quite hesitantly, it is up to our senior players to set a good example and lead the way. Our defence is better organised to handle Collingwood’s all-out attack, and we should have no issue taking full advantage any space created by a turnover.

Geelong by 30 points

WHERE ARE THE STATS?!?!?!:mad::mad::mad:

Not liking the general consensus amongst maggies that Fasolo and Wells come in and Greenwood is close.
I think their win % is massively increased when Wells plays.

I don't think the effect is as pronounced this year. He had a huge impact in '17 because their biggest problem was an almost complete disconnect between the midfield and forward groups and Wells was actually competent at kicking the ball i50. Now that they're better at linking up in general he won't have such a transformative effect on their performance.

Nice engagement in discussion.

For the record he was 7th in votes per game in our B&F last year playing most of the season as a defensive winger. Apparently once he moved onto the wing his votes went up too so clearly the MC liked a lot of what he was doing. To say he struggled there is just wrong. He was good to very good there and it's clearly an option for us albeit not one I would take to start with.
Do you know how our B&F works?

Not really I think we will go ok.
Hope you're right. The Pies are one of the best pressure sides in the league. They're quick and they work well together. We have too many that struggle under immense pressure. It'll be a test.

Last edited:
Hope you're right. The Pies are one of the best pressure sides in the league. They're quick and they work well together. We have too many that struggle under immense. It'll be a test.
You could be describing the Cats*

* barring the 4Q fade out v Swans

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we’re actually doing ok so far this year given the injuries, so many new players and interestingly that we have yet to play a team in the bottom 8 so far. We are well overdue to beat Collingwood and will be under no illusions as to how tough it will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is Greenwood a chance for the Pies this week? Hope not, he seems to have had Selwood's measure over the past few years.

Played his first game since August 2017 in the VFL over the weekend, would be staggered if they brought him into the seniors based on just one game.

Will be worried if Menzel doesn't play - three weeks for 'soreness' / 'bad reaction to an injection' doesn't sound right.

IN: Ablett, Menzel, Smith, Horlin-Smith
OUT: Zuthrie (omit), Fogarty (rest), Cunico (omit), Ratugolea (rest)

Sav to stay in the team if Hawkins cops a week.

Played his first game since August 2017 in the VFL over the weekend, would be staggered if they brought him into the seniors based on just one game.
Named in the bests, but yep probably too early.

On an unrelated note, I didn't realise Jared Rivers is now the Pies' VFL coach.

Will be worried if Menzel doesn't play - three weeks for 'soreness' / 'bad reaction to an injection' doesn't sound right.

IN: Ablett, Menzel, Smith, Horlin-Smith
OUT: Zuthrie (omit), Fogarty (rest), Cunico (omit), Ratugolea (rest)

Sav to stay in the team if Hawkins cops a week.
Probbly the best time to rest him anyway and being over caution, we have some good players to step into his role why not give them an extended run for abit to conserve Hawkins for the second half of the year rather than wearing him out towards the finals like last year.

Why do people keep suggesting we rest young players so early? Its still so early in the year. Worry about that from mid season on, we have enough wins in the bank and our injury list has hopefully shrunk.

They aren’t going to rest them 7 games in, when we also have a 9 day break :drunk:

It’s not like their form has dropped off either.

Why do people keep suggesting we rest young players so early? Its still so early in the year. Worry about that from mid season on, we have enough wins in the bank and our injury list has hopefully shrunk.

Our injury list is shrinking - we should have Menzel, Ablett, Horlin-Smith, Smith and maybe even Taylor available this week.

I think Fog will be a little gun but he hasn't kicked a goal for 3 weeks and has had less than 15 possessions in his last two games after going at 15+ in three of his first five games.

As for SavRat, I think he will play a fair bit of senior football this year and young talls are more likely to hit a wall at some point. With Crameri in the side and Smith available, we have the luxury to rest him and play Hawkins-Stanley-Crameri up forward and Smith in the middle. Of course plans for this week change if Hawkins is unavailable.

Given our history against Collingwood, and our injuries, and the fact that we have so much youth in the team, I have literally no idea how this game is going to pan out. None whatsoever. We could easily win by ten goals or lose by ten goals. I'm hoping the travel game for the pies combined with a hard-fought win will play in our favour, but who knows? They are a bogey side for us and they match up well. If I had to put money on the game, I'd have to put it on the Pies. However, I'm more confident against them this time than in years past.

Given our history against Collingwood, and our injuries, and the fact that we have so much youth in the team, I have literally no idea how this game is going to pan out. None whatsoever. We could easily win by ten goals or lose by ten goals. I'm hoping the travel game for the pies combined with a hard-fought win will play in our favour, but who knows? They are a bogey side for us and they match up well. If I had to put money on the game, I'd have to put it on the Pies. However, I'm more confident against them this time than in years past.
This week is going to be a nightmare for tipping, so many 50/50 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back