Preview Round 8. Gold Coast V Port Adelaide. CHINA

Remove this Banner Ad

If we could do:
In: Hanley, Swallow, Rosa, Thompson
Out: Bowes, Scheer, Brooksby, Leslie
The level of youth and experience will tip back in our favour. Rischa back soon will be great as well.
Hanley needs NEAFL form , Swallow yes gladly - but will he travel and play on a hard ground ?, Rosa yes , Thompson - you have to be joking -cannot even complete a warm up without blowing a hamstring...
Out Brooksby who should never have been in (Shaw a better option on that slippery ground) Bowes who cost two goals with indiscriminate disposal.
Also - Saad in best players is crap. Yes he took the game on "whoopee do" - who knows where he going and what he is doing - cost 2 goals on turnovers . Joyce was worse giving up 3 goals in the first half before being moved up the ground.
Need to tighten our defence - but the way they are playing is obviously coached.
Saw Willis in NEAFL game trying same thing - attempted running game from kick outs - result 2 goals straight over his head.
Our back line strategy is defective...

Last edited:

Judging from the articles on the afl site regarding china game. The afl and Gold Coast SUNS are planning to play there next year. While i wouldnt be happy with it we have to play our home game somewhere while the commonwealth games are on. Hopefully port stick by their guns and dont invite us back because of our jumpers.

Judging from the articles on the afl site regarding china game. The afl and Gold Coast SUNS are planning to play there next year. While i wouldnt be happy with it we have to play our home game somewhere while the commonwealth games are on. Hopefully port stick by their guns and dont invite us back because of our jumpers.
Think next year is fine - given Commonwealth games - but wouldn't be doing it thereafter . Certainly missed my trip to Metricon this weekend - was our home game after all..

Last edited:
Both these games the opposition has stopped our run and we simply don't have a back up plan at all , these games are just saying you stop harbs and saady you stop the Suns.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Stopping Saad..? You r dreamin'. You counselled me to look @ positives in another thread, how bout you practice what you preach, with a realistic outlook.

Much as I love many of the Suns players (Harbs is definitely 1 of those), take a 2nd look at all of the games this season.

If Saad has more than 2 bounces in 8 Rds so far this season, please enlighten me. His run and bounce off 1/2 back was a feature, not so far in '17.

Stopping Saad..? You r dreamin'. You counselled me to look @ positives in another thread, how bout you practice what you preach, with a realistic outlook.

Much as I love many of the Suns players (Harbs is definitely 1 of those), take a 2nd look at all of the games this season.

If Saad has more than 2 bounces in 8 Rds so far this season, please enlighten me. His run and bounce off 1/2 back was a feature, not so far in '17.
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but Saad is avg 5.5 bounces a game; the most of anyone in the comp and almost double the next best. If you're saying his run off half back hasn't been beneficial to the team so far this year then I think you're the one who needs to watch the games again. He causes chaos for the opposition structures.

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but Saad is avg 5.5 bounces a game; the most of anyone in the comp and almost double the next best. If you're saying his run off half back hasn't been beneficial to the team so far this year then I think you're the one who needs to watch the games again. He causes chaos for the opposition structures.
No, I don't. Actually have watched every game this year. Saad's ave from your post is from all his career?

Saad needs to temper it a bit. Great to run when our team is on song. But today shows his flaws. Too many times he dashed off and was stuffed up and it cost scores against. Maybe I'm old fashioned - defenders stop forwards - they don't work for metres gained....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-11/saads-record-stat-helps-suns-bounce-back Saad had 24 running bounces after round 3 broke the record for a 2nd straight year image.jpeg

Last edited:
Gr8, thanks 4 answering my question, how effective has he been, in your view.?

IMO it isn't the quantity in any stat, it's the quality.
In my opinion he's been very effective, he had a combined 18 goal assist/score involvement in the 1st 3 round from the back line

I'm coming from a completely different tack here in so much as I haven't read thru all this thread and don't intend to, just the last few pages. My take for what it's worth. I watch the games on "watchAFL" on my laptop and was looking forward to the game. And even though I'm red yellow and blue thru and thru, I switched over games at about the 20 min mark of the 1st qtr and never went back. From where I was sitting, up til then, our blokes were 2nd to everything and that was enough for me to say "we haven't turned up". No need to go into reasons, because I haven't a clue why, and it's not my job to find out why. Just that for some reason we didn't turn up, and when I can only get so much footy to watch, I'm not going to waste it, watching that half hearted cr*p that our mob dished up in that 1st qtr. And when I finally looked at the final score, it appears nothing changed the further the game went on.

One more thing I need to say, and that is as much as I like what Rory has done for us in the past, I think it might be time for him to move on. Out for 4 weeks with a 2 week quad only to strain his hammy minutes before the game. If we can't get him on the park, then his time is up....

Looking towards next year, I hope our Club's management appreciate our members a bit more and not sell off another home game....I don't think we can afford to....

I was there, and without the benefit of watching a replay I remember the game as looking even for the first 10 minutes. But then your pressure lessened, you began to make more mistakes, and from then once our boys smelt blood the scoreboard began ticking over our way.
So, so much of this was in the heads of the players in each team. Personally I don't think there's much difference between our teams at all. But enough of our players 'bought in' to the importance of the win that we outdid you (duh!) in the chasing, tackling etc. Not so much in the scoring, we mangled a lot of easy opportunities late that could have turned the game into a bloodbath. You won't play like that next year*. Or we won't.
A few other things. You were getting a bit of support from the locals - most if not all of whom were invited dignitaries. And the weather was fine. it wasn't humid, and it was pleasantly warm but with a nice cool breeze. This city is astonishing, I strongly suggest those of you who can make it over in 2018. I've done a fair bit of travelling and this place rates as one of the great places I've been to in beauty, fun etc.

* I'm reasonably sure that's a goer - but understand that for some of you thats' a sore 0oint.

Last edited:
I'm coming from a completely different tack here in so much as I haven't read thru all this thread and don't intend to, just the last few pages. My take for what it's worth. I watch the games on "watchAFL" on my laptop and was looking forward to the game. And even though I'm red yellow and blue thru and thru, I switched over games at about the 20 min mark of the 1st qtr and never went back. From where I was sitting, up til then, our blokes were 2nd to everything and that was enough for me to say "we haven't turned up". No need to go into reasons, because I haven't a clue why, and it's not my job to find out why. Just that for some reason we didn't turn up, and when I can only get so much footy to watch, I'm not going to waste it, watching that half hearted cr*p that our mob dished up in that 1st qtr. And when I finally looked at the final score, it appears nothing changed the further the game went on.

One more thing I need to say, and that is as much as I like what Rory has done for us in the past, I think it might be time for him to move on. Out for 4 weeks with a 2 week quad only to strain his hammy minutes before the game. If we can't get him on the park, then his time is up....

Looking towards next year, I hope our Club's management appreciate our members a bit more and not sell off another home game....I don't think we can afford to....

Rant ON.
Hate to say it but the evidence is that we are a mentally fragile team. I (and clearly a few others like Choppers) can usually tell within the first 10-15 minutes if the team is switched on mentally and ready to have a real crack. Since the Gaz shoulder game against the Pies in 2014, we have had too many of this type of game for it to be a coincidence. The difference b/w our best and worst effort games is ludicrous.

And part of the fault has to lie at the feet of the foundation players who have been there long enough and played enough games and done enough leadership training to stamp this sort of rubbish out.

Fragile teams let games get away from them early without doing something positive. That is 3 games this year, the Lions, GWS and now Port. We got back against the Lions but it was 7 goals to 0 at home against a wooden spoon favourite. Give me a break.

In those 3 games it was clear that we were a step behind from the bounce, not working hard enough, fumbly and indecisive. In this game, the only two blokes who looked to be going full speed early on were Harbs and Lemmens and they stood out for it.

May and Lynch clearly have some work to do and may need to change something, and it is also clear that we are desperate for more leadership and grunt and a never say die attitude through the midfield. Swallow leaves a gaping hole but also shows that Touk has more work to do, Barlow is OK but is lacking burst and power, Lyons and Sexton have a lot lot more work to do, and maybe Gaz and Hall are part of the problem.

For a professional team, the early fumbling and indecision and lack of run to create something (how many times did a defender get the ball and look up and have nothing to kick to; the exact opposite for Port) has nothing to do with talent. Nothing to do with a long flight. Nothing to do with a foreign country. Nothing to do with a new ground. Nothing to do with a young team. Nothing to do with a late change. Nothing to do with being top heavy since we are not top heavy through the middle of the ground where all the damage gets done.

There are plenty of excuses for running out of legs in the 4th quarter but none for not having a crack in the first place.

It is games like this that turn off supporters and sponsors and potential draftees and free agents and the media (Bruce was not happy how soft the game was) and opposition supporters and make us at best a footnote in the competition. Games where we have a crack and lose by 40 points don't. Until we put together 15 or 20 games in a row where we have a crack, regardless of the final result, I won't believe that we have got on top of these problems. Too many times, too many times.

Rant OFF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back