Preview Round 8: GWS Giants vs Essendon, Sydney Showgrounds, Saturday 08/05/2021 @ 2.10 PM

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Observations

Greater Western Sydney: The Giants lead from the get go against Adelaide, dominating the first half to go out to a 32 point lead at half time. Winning every quarter, the Giants never really let Adelaide get going whilst Tim Taranto ran amok through the midfield with 35 disposals, whilst Jesse Hogan had a successful return to AFL level with 4 goals up front, Harrison Himmelberg also kicking 3 goals.

Essendon: The Bombers started well against arch rivals Carlton, but faded in the second half to go down by 16 points. Darcy Parish had 26 disposals and 6 clearances through the middle, but it was Essendon's forward line that really starred in the end. Cale Hooker had 5 goals, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti 4, Jake Stringer and Harrison Jones kicking 3 apiece as well.

Head to Head (last 5)

Greater Western Sydney 3-2 Essendon

Form Guide

Greater Western Sydney: 3-2
Essendon: 2-3

Sportsbet odds

Greater Western Sydney: $1.46
Essendon: $2.75
Line: 13.5 ($1.90)

Possible sides

Greater Western Sydney vs Essendon

FB: Jayden Laverde - James Stewart - Nick Hind

FF: Jeremy Finlayson - Jesse Hogan - Toby Greene
HB: Jordan Ridley - Aaron Francis - Dyson Heppell
HF: Ian Hill - Harrison Himmelberg - Tanner Bruhn
MF: Nikolas Cox - Andrew McGrath - Zachary Merrett
MF: Josh Kelly - Jacob Hopper - Lachie Whitfield
HF: Will Snelling - Peter Wright - Harrison Jones
HB: Isaac Cumming - Conor Idun - Jack Buckley
FF: Jake Stringer - Cale Hooker - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
FB: Sam Taylor - Lachlan Keeffe - Lachlan Ash
OB: Andrew Phillips - Darcy Parish - Kyle Langford
OB: Shane Mumford - Tim Taranto - Callan Ward
IC: Mason Redman - Archie Perkins - Devon Smith - Brayden Ham
IC: Harry Perryman - Xavier O'Halloran - Tom Green - Jacob Wehr
IS: Matthew Guelfi
IS: Conor Stone

Essendon in: Aaron Francis; out: David Zaharakis (sub)
Greater Western Sydney in: Tanner Bruhn, Jacob Wehr, Conor Stone; out: Brent Daniels (inj), Matthew Buntine (conc, sub), Sam Reid (inj)

Greater Western Sydney defence vs Essendon forward line

Essendon's forward line has started well this season, kicking a goal 25.41% of the time it enters their forward 50, which is 3rd in the AFL so far. The Giants have been excellent defensively, conceding a goal 19.69% of the time it enters their defensive 50, also 3rd in the AFL this season so far. On paper, Greater Western Sydney have the right match ups for the Bombers, Sam Taylor and Lachie Keeffe are great match-ups for the in form Jake Stringer and Cale Hooker respectively, the latter in career best form, currently 3rd in the Coleman Medal. Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti is another in great form, having the second most goals from a small forward so far this season and the Giants Lachie Ash will need to be on his game to stop him.

Midfield/rucks battle

Both midfields have struggled contested ball wise this season, GWS being 13th for clearance difference and 11th for contested possession difference respectively, whilst the Bombers have been 17th for both. Essendon will want a lift from the out of form Andrew McGrath who has struggled this season so far, but during that Darcy Parish has lifted extremely well, averaging a tad under 17 disposals and 6 clearances a game, with support through various times coming from Jake Stringer, Zach Merrett and Devon Smith. Jacob Hopper and Tim Taranto have been excellent on the inside for the Giants, ably supported by Callan Ward and Tom Green in recent weeks, the experienced Ward turning back the clock a little bit for the Giants. On the outside, Essendon have been very impressed with the likes of Nik Cox and Brayden Ham's improvement this season, whilst Harry Perryman hasn't quite captured his form of early last season, whilst Josh Kelly has seemingly moved to a more permanent outside role for the Giants. Rucks wise, Shane Mumford should be beating the young Nick Bryan but the mullet laden blonde has excited Essendon fans of recent times.

Essendon defence vs Greater Western Sydney forward line

Greater Western Sydney are struggling forward of centre, kicking a goal only 20.93% of the time it enters their forward 50, 15th in the AFL. Essendon's defence has also been poor this season, conceding a goal 25.31% of the time it goes into their defensive end, oddly enough 15th in the AFL as well. The big match up will be James Stewart on Jesse Hogan, Stewart playing in defence for the first time this season whilst Hogan has only just returned, but another big match up will be Aaron Francis against Harrison Himmelberg, who has been quietly averaging a tad under 2 goals a game this season. Nick Hind will probably go to Toby Greene, who has been the best small forward so far this season which should be very exciting to watch for the fans.

X-Factor Player

Jacob Wehr is a mature aged player from the SANFL who is yet to make his debut but his speed and skills will stand him in good stead if he makes his debut against the Dons, which seams likely.

Key stat

Greater Western Sydney: Clearances. The Giants can kill the Bombers off if they cut off Essendon's supply inside 50.

Essendon: Forward conversion. The forward line has been excellent this season, they need to continue that if they're going to get to 3-4.

Tip:

I don't see us winning here, Giants by 27

Last edited:

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Would be great to win this one. Probably harder than it was a week ago now that Hogan's in their team and in form.

Fingers crossed Franga is back and ready to go. Would probably play Phillips over Bryan too if he's fit.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Im not too worried about their fwd line, esp if Franga is back
And i reckon ours may stretch them.

The midfield and run they get out of Ash need to be the focus.

Franga -> Hogan
Stewart -> Himm
Redman -> Greene
Laverde -> Finlayson
Ridley off the leash

vass44

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
OUT: Bryan, Guelfi, Zakka
IN: Phillips, Francis, Ambrose

Team;-

Ridley Stewart Francis
Heppell Laverde Hind
Ham Stringer Merrett
Perkins 2MP Snelling
Jones Hooker Tippa

Phillips Parish McGrath

Bench: Langford Smith Cox Redman
SUB: Ambrose

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Im not too worried about their fwd line, esp if Franga is back
And i reckon ours may stretch them.

The midfield and run they get out of Ash need to be the focus.

Franga -> Hogan
Stewart -> Himm
Redman -> Greene
Laverde -> Finlayson
Ridley off the leash
Redman can’t play on greene, it’ll either have to be frang or laverde

how good are the tackling numbers

1620002737272.png

Redman can’t play on greene, it’ll either have to be frang or laverde

id back laverde in TBH

he's played very well and he has the niggle required to match greene

DeezNuts

Team Captain
Mar 24, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Bit worried about this one, GWS on paper still look like a top 6-8 team to me, and have a few key players getting back into form

Feels like we're playing every second week interstate at the moment, hopefully we show the effort from the Sydney trip and not the Brisbane/Port trips

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matthew_Lloyd

Premiership Player
Apr 27, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
I think we'll be in for another game like we had against Port and Brisbane. We were noticeably gassed from about the middle of the second quarter yesterday. Couple that with GWS hitting their straps, and they could punish us.

Then again, I didn't expect us to jump Carlton yesterday. We also fought right until the end instead of rolling over.

In terms of changes, I hope we keep the younger guys in. I thought Jones was gassed last week, but he played very well yesterday, and Cox is every chance of doing the same this week. Our improvement this week must come from our senior players (Heppell, Langford & McGrath). Heppell did okay, but his silly turnovers resulted in Carlton goals, McGrath needs to compose himself when he gets the ball, and Langford needs to actually turn up.

MiguelM

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I think we'll be in for another game like we had against Port and Brisbane. We were noticeably gassed from about the middle of the second quarter yesterday. Couple that with GWS hitting their straps, and they could punish us.

Then again, I didn't expect us to jump Carlton yesterday. We also fought right until the end instead of rolling over.

In terms of changes, I hope we keep the younger guys in. I thought Jones was gassed last week, but he played very well yesterday, and Cox is every chance of doing the same this week. Our improvement this week must come from our senior players (Heppell, Langford & McGrath). Heppell did okay, but his silly turnovers resulted in Carlton goals, McGrath needs to compose himself when he gets the ball, and Langford needs to actually turn up.
Jones was quiet against the Pies but had a great last quarter. I think last quarter form often follows on to the next week.

From yesterday, I hope this rings true for McGrath, definitely busier in the last yesterday.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics

Statement wise, you drop Langford for the last couple of weeks.
Franga will come in. Shuffle Heppell up a bit onto the ball perhaps.

Ruck call will be an interesting one. Mummy played a full game away. Good chance for a rest and Flynn plays (my SC team hopes anyway).
Bryan + Wright (plus Hooker for forward stoppages) should be enough to work him over.
Got Darcy & Goldy in coming weeks too. Keep the experience going for him.

Oct 6, 2020
Narre Warren South
AFL Club
Essendon
Any chance of both Bryan and Phillips playing this week and Wright perhaps getting a rest?

Who goes out for Francis?
No way Wright ever gets dropped. He's important to the forward structure, especially now that him, Hooker and Jones are starting to figure out how to play together without getting in each other's way.

Guelfi probably comes out for Francis and becomes the sub.

Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important
Don't need wins (end of day, finals are out, picks are critical to us).
But performance is important.
Just beat North both times and the Pies return bout from here on out.

I'm not saying we need wins. Just sayin.

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy this year to achieve another high pick, seeing our second pick is around 40ish (happy to be corrected).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back