Preview Round 8: GWS Giants vs Essendon, Sydney Showgrounds, Saturday 08/05/2021 @ 2.10 PM

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
I'm not saying we need wins. Just sayin.

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy this year to achieve another high pick, seeing our second pick is around 40ish (happy to be corrected).
GWS' third is our next pick i think.
Not that it matters anymore. Can trade in if we see anyone we like.
Shame we didn't make a play for the Pies 1st. Went so cheap.

Sep 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
676A02E8-47D7-474C-B0BD-6B9C4A1CA22F.jpeg

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Leon Cameron said Mummy would play 3 absolute max in a row but at the start of the year Mumford also said hed play half a dozen games. I think im happy to just keep playing Bryan for now, will be physically very hard against Mumford and no doubt give their side first use alot which wont help us winning but development might be more important.

Francis has to come in if fit and GWS have roll with a 3 tall attack and Greene sometimes looks like hes 6'3+ so he requires some sort of tall that very defensivily minded. Redman or Laverde are fine.

Agree with the N.Cox rest save him from flying

In: Francis, Waterman
Out: Guelfi, N.Cox
Sub: Guelfi

Push Ham or Perkins upto a wing

Phillips/Bryan

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
In- Francis, Cahill
Out- Zaharakis, Cox

B Laverde Stewart Hind
HB Redman Francis Ridley
C Langford Parish Ham
HF Stringer Jones Snelling
F Tippa Hooker Smith
FOLL: Bryan Merrett McGrath
INTER: Wright, Heppell, Perkins, Guelfi
Sub: Cahill

coastalpipeline

Club Legend
Nov 3, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
No way Wright ever gets dropped. He's important to the forward structure, especially now that him, Hooker and Jones are starting to figure out how to play together without getting in each other's way.

Guelfi probably comes out for Francis and becomes the sub.
They should sub Langford

Macca18

EFC
Jul 6, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
This is the one team in the competition I have the least care factor in losing against.

A competitive performance in a narrow loss would be enough here.

I don’t think the Giants are anywhere close to contending at the moment but I reckon this is probably the worst time of the year to play them (from a chance of winning perspective), particularly at home. I can’t see them playing as well in about a month’s time.

I think we probably win this type of fixture in two years time, but not in 2021. But feel free to surprise me, Bombers.

They should sub Langford
Langford telling everyone to settle down and play controlled footy in 2nd Q I think. Then kicking it to a vulnerable spot, Carlton mark and goal resulting...one of the low points of the game. Think he's best played forward, is a reliable goal kicker. Panics in the back half

Cold Sober

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
Thoughts are we will be totally outclassed but not disgraced.
At least we now look forward to watching each week with optimism.

coastalpipeline

Club Legend
Nov 3, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
In the replay you see Merrett chasing after Cripps, Merrett screams out that Cripps has ran too far....Yes you're right Merrett he did run too far but discipline football says your close enough to tackle, don't back off and appeal, make the tackle.

Although some fans kinda think umpires love sitting back and watching us lose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Senior players need to step up here.

No way can we count on kids to do the bulk of the work.

VFL team the bye so we'll travel with 24/25

We have Freo and North after this so maybe rest the kids.

SCENARIO 1 Rest the kids
OUT Perkins, Cox, Jones,
IN Waterman, Zaka, Franga

SCENARIO 2 Kids stay
NO CHANGES

SCENARIO 1 Rest the kids
OUT Perkins, Cox, Jones,

SCENARIO 2 Kids stay
NO CHANGES
We'll take 28 up most likely

Oct 6, 2020
Narre Warren South
AFL Club
Essendon

SCENARIO 1 Rest the kids
OUT Perkins, Cox, Jones,

SCENARIO 2 Kids stay
NO CHANGES
Don't mind the idea of resting the kids this week and then trying to play them straight through to the bye in Round 13.

Also don't mind the idea of:
  • Resting them this week
  • Having them play Freo and North
  • Resting them against West Coast
  • Playing them against Richmond
  • Bye Round 13

Cup_o_Jobe

All Australian
Aug 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Left field idea perhaps, but given Pidge has been a bit out of sorts at time this year, I wouldn't be against giving him the job of tagging Greene. He originally made a name for himself in the team by shutting down opposition small forwards, and it might just be what he needs to regain his confidence/touch/zeal etc. To make room we could ask Dys to attend a few CBAs (For old times sake) or if we rest Cox, let RedDog have a spell on a wing.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Left field idea perhaps, but given Pidge has been a bit out of sorts at time this year, I wouldn't be against giving him the job of tagging Greene. He originally made a name for himself in the team by shutting down opposition small forwards, and it might just be what he needs to regain his confidence/touch/zeal etc. To make room we could ask Dys to attend a few CBAs (For old times sake) or if we rest Cox, let RedDog have a spell on a wing.
I've always liked the idea of McGrath rolling through mid and hb, but I'm not sure doing that right now is wise with Caldwell and Shiel out. I'd sooner see Heppell preserved at the moment and we don't need to win (although a win would be great).

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Langford telling everyone to settle down and play controlled footy in 2nd Q I think. Then kicking it to a vulnerable spot, Carlton mark and goal resulting...one of the low points of the game. Think he's best played forward, is a reliable goal kicker. Panics in the back half
Yeah that was disappointing, however, I really like how noticeable it is that controlling the pace of the game is something we're working very hard to implement. It has worked a couple of times I think.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not sure what McGrath gets out of that.
Ask should be go out there and try stamp your mark on the game. Greene is going to. Walsh did last week. etc.

We're rebuilding. Wins take a back seat to development (and added bonus we get sharper picks)
In the long game too, Merrett isn't going to set a benchmark of X wins to stay and X-1 = leave.
He'll be looking for signs we're moving in the right direction. Sticking to what Truck and co are building towards is important.
Also, picks :p

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
No changes.... maybe Francis if he's ok from injury.

We are so paper thin with injuries at the moment that we don't have a capable player to come back..
Less injury imo, more no depth.

Also, the group has been playing well together
Franga back with Zaka out and someone unlucky to be sub.
This group is effectively it until Draper, Shiel and Caldwell are back. Or Reid breaking in.

Less injury imo, more no depth.

Also, the group has been playing well together
Franga back with Zaka out and someone unlucky to be sub.
This group is effectively it until Draper, Shiel and Caldwell are back. Or Reid breaking in.
Bit of both really. Most of our depth is in the team, and most of our good players are on the injury list, meaning that the few that are left have had recent long term injuries or were only recently drafted after not playing at all in their draft year.

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 16.53.02.png

Whole spreadsheet is in the injuries/availability/team selections thread and the pinned contract status thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back