Preview Round 8: GWS vs Geelong, Sat 7 May @ 4:35pm, Manuka Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I know it's heresy but I'm not pining to see the missing players back - with the exceptions of Holmes and Ceglar they've all played in plenty of losing finals for us and it's doubtful if any of them will be in our next flag team.

Meanwhile we get the chance to see what younger players can do. Its sad Willis, Krueger and Conway are injured but it's possible we'll see them and Neale ( a future gun in my opinion) before the season is over.

Then we finish somewhere between 10- 12, use our draft picks wisely and we might have another powerful team in 2/3 years.

Having said that if we do play finals I'd obviously want Selwood in and also Menegola.

Funny how many of us like to bag Stanley but we really want him in on Saturday.

I think that's overstated too.
I agree. Based on exposed form he seems stiff to get overlooked. There must be something about him that causes the selectors to use him in a ‘break glass’ emergency only. (At least that is how it seems to us armchair pundits.) Something we are not fully aware of..
Maybe he misses spots on Scott’s carwax

Then kaput. Thats what Smith runs.
In 2021 there were just 5 individual occasions where a Geelong player ran 16kms in a match. 2 of those occasions were Smith, 1 each for Blicavs, Kolodjashnij and Close. That's 20 games in which there was not one player on the team that ran that distance. You're basically suggesting that a player who is not known for endurance needs to break club records for running in his first game back from an ankle injury to remain on the list..?

Sorry if this has already been covered, haven’t read the previous messages. But are we suggesting a late change is a possibility that may involve Stanley not being fit enough to play? Especially with Esava in the emergencies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where’s the idea that it isn’t? Of course midfielders are good at CP and clearances, and that’s what this started out as.

A couple of idiots laughing at the suggestion Danger, Duncan, Guthrie, Parfitt and Stephens is a weak midfield. Not sure what part of that is wrong
But every player needs to be good at contested possessions - it's a contested game. That's fundamentally different to clearances, which is the primary responsibility of the midfield. We won the CP last week 144-141 but lost the clearances 37-44. We won the contested possessions easily the week before but also lost the clearances. Against the Hawks we lost the CP 152-126 but won the clearances 36-37 - the issue was players at either end losing contests, not the midfield.

I agree. Based on exposed form he seems stiff to get overlooked. There must be something about him that causes the selectors to use him in a ‘break glass’ emergency only. (At least that is how it seems to us armchair pundits.) Something we are not fully aware of..
Maybe he misses spots on Scott’s carwax
He could try the gearstick .....

Just at Manuka Oval now for the Open Training - no Stanley or Sav. There was some sort of presentation with Knevitt in the middle of the ground with Chris Scott - another potential debutant?! Zuthrie and Dempsey the other emergencies out there

Sounds like knevitt is debuting with another late out gee we are getting hit hard with player injuries can barely field a team.
Knevitt for someone and sav for stanley zuthrie sub i assume. I imagine we want to rest dempsey unless our hand is forced.
I cant imagine stanley is out without sav in or we would be way too short for talls. At this rate abbott would be playing for us this week if he was still onthe list 😂

But every player needs to be good at contested possessions - it's a contested game. That's fundamentally different to clearances, which is the primary responsibility of the midfield. We won the CP last week 144-141 but lost the clearances 37-44. We won the contested possessions easily the week before but also lost the clearances. Against the Hawks we lost the CP 152-126 but won the clearances 36-37 - the issue was players at either end losing contests, not the midfield.
I’ve seen your theory on this, not disagreeing and largely beside my original point.

I reiterate, I simply made a comment last night that this is our worst midfield selected in years. Danger, Duncan and Guthrie all in patchy form. Stephens on debut and a spud.

If dahl isnt playing when we basically have barely 25 fitplayers to pick from maybe his days in the 1s are done for good (unless hes injured too).

I know it's heresy but I'm not pining to see the missing players back - with the exceptions of Holmes and Ceglar they've all played in plenty of losing finals for us and it's doubtful if any of them will be in our next flag team.

Meanwhile we get the chance to see what younger players can do. Its sad Willis, Krueger and Conway are injured but it's possible we'll see them and Neale ( a future gun in my opinion) before the season is over.

Then we finish somewhere between 10- 12, use our draft picks wisely and we might have another powerful team in 2/3 years.

Having said that if we do play finals I'd obviously want Selwood in and also Menegola.

Funny how many of us like to bag Stanley but we really want him in on Saturday.

I’m with you. If we had all the kids available I couldn’t really give a stuff about the senior players (Who’ve been found wanting time and time again) being out.

If the Knevitt news is true though it looks like we’re going in the right direction.

Surely, if Stanley wasn't fit and Esava wasn't fit, they would of known this 2 days back, they would of named Emergency...
1 of Stanley or Esava will be playing tomorrow..

Plus If Stanley is fit, I would of hope Esava is the plane straight back to Melbourne in the morning to play VFL at Arden Street, just for at some game time as he does need it

Last edited:
The way things are going Dahlhaus could be back in the side

Hes not in the 26 (the only other fit players who arent are neale and rohan)so we would have to get afl approval to bring him in.

I’m with you. If we had all the kids available I couldn’t really give a stuff about the senior players (Who’ve been found wanting time and time again) being out.

If the Knevitt news is true though it looks like we’re going in the right direction.
I agree. I like the direction.

Us Cat's fans have been spoilt for many years. Unfair to judge success as a supporter just on premierships. They're damn hard to win - but even a Hawks fan recently said to me that the Cat's have been unbelievable value for money as a supporter for as long as anyone. He's right. A bit of short term pain is absolutely ok for me - if it means playing a few debutants.

I still think we'll play finals and maybe get ourselves in shape to make a semi or prelim. But based on how the Dees are looking, I'm not sure this year is the year to contend. Get games into debutants and leave blokes like Dahl / Higgins as break glass in case of emergency. From what I'm told they are desperate to get games into Conway as soon as he's played a bit of footy. Good move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back