Autopsy Round 8 : Hawks strangle Giants

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
I’m a legends club member and I think I’ve been to 2 games since 2018.

I work retail so Saturday Sunday I’m at work.

I’ll still buy that membership.

Judge me I don’t really care.

Also with a 1 year old I’d much rather hang with him.

But honestly the main reason is I don’t enjoy the game any more. I never understood when people would say this, but I do now. Just get Vince McMahon to replace gill, Triple H to replace Hocking and stone cold to replace Christian.

At least with WWE you know it’s entertainment.

Mate, you don't need to justify anything. That was simply a ridiculous post from MightyHawks.

'Sort the commitments out.'

They have. Which is why they weren't at the game because they likely had more important things to do.

It's not just the one game. Our crowds were down last year, and they are further again down this year

There'd be a lot of fans who could have easily gone to an extra game or two this year

Yes our fixture this year is terrible and will cost the club a lot of $$$

But as supporters we get the fixture we deserve

Eg. We've had now 20 years of playing Essendon away at Marvel or the MCG. Every time we play them in a sell out match at Marvel our fans complain they can't get into the game. Without fail the next year the match is scheduled at the MCG, and that match doesn't draw a great crowd, so the AFL send us back to Marvel to play the Bombers. But every time we play the Bombers at Marvel it doesn't sell out so you can completely understand why the AFL keep playing the Essendon v Hawthorn fixture at Marvel.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is just factually incorrect, in terms of Brownlow Votes and almost every other stat, Smith had one of his best years statistically in 2018. He got the ball, used it effectually and when weighted against team performance he was involved in scoring as much or more than most other seasons. His highest goal tally at the club came in 2018.

He missed that goal in 2016 which was, all things considered, one of his worst years - he averaged career lows in most stats, not least of all was scoreboard impact.

I know it sounds nice and dramatic to have a trigger point for where it all fell apart or something, but let's not make stuff up.

You can have your opinion and support it with stats, and your thoughts.
I've watched NEARLY every game since then, and my eyes tell me what they tell me.
Nothing like the player he was before that moment.
Not making s**t up, and pretty comfortable with my calls on players and the game the last 5 years on here.

You can have your opinion and support it with stats, and your thoughts.
I've watched NEARLY every game since then, and my eyes tell me what they tell me.
Nothing like the player he was before that moment.
Not making **** up, and pretty comfortable with my calls on players and the game the last 5 years on here.

He came 3rd in the PCM last year. Smith had a good 2018 by every measure.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is just factually incorrect, in terms of Brownlow Votes and almost every other stat, Smith had one of his best years statistically in 2018. He got the ball, used it effectually and when weighted against team performance he was involved in scoring as much or more than most other seasons. His highest goal tally at the club came in 2018.

He missed that goal in 2016 which was, all things considered, one of his worst years - he averaged career lows in most stats, not least of all was scoreboard impact.

I know it sounds nice and dramatic to have a trigger point for where it all fell apart or something, but let's not make stuff up.
Agreed here. Smith should've been AA last year. He was one of the best goal kicking wingmen in the comp. Injury has played a part, but he's dropped off massively this year. Is due to Scully's arrival? Ricky's spike in form? Could be a range of factors. But he doesn't play with any confidence at all at present, and we need him to turn it around fast. He's an absolute weapon when up and running.

Bumps"N"Grins

Premiership Player
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sell the team Dolan
I am sorry. How do those reasons stop you from supporting and turning up. Do you realise by not turning up THE AFL WINS and you feed their Agenda.
Really?
Look at what they have done to us already this year with scheduling, either way we couldn't win. Don't turn up and they say we don't deserve any better or turn up and the AFL agenda/mantra would be look the Hawks fans love Sunday evening games.
Remeber you don't win playing against the AFL they just spin everything their way.

Really?
Look at what they have done to us already this year with scheduling, either way we couldn't win. Don't turn up and they say we don't deserve any better or turn up and the AFL agenda/mantra would be look the Hawks fans love Sunday evening games.
Remeber you don't win playing against the AFL they just spin everything their way.

The fixture is punishment for not turning up last year

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He came 3rd in the PCM last year. Smith had a good 2018 by every measure.

Happy for others to see it differently.
Not many agreed with me when I was pulling for Sicily to get his run based on what he was doing at VFL, and certainly many called him a one trick pony and team cancer in his first 6-10 games. I thought and do think differently, and reckon I was right side of that call.
I didn't reckon Roughy was a good Captain choice when chosen and said so, many disagreed and disagree. I see it differently, and think history won't spend too much time writing praise of that period in terms of his abilitly to raise the team about him.
Alot said Cuz didn't have tricks, could only do one thing, wasn't a threat around goal. I praised the kid and said he needed to be played, and am happy to have seen it differently.

I don't need anyone here to agree with my calls, just tossing my thoughts outwards because it feels right to do so.
Happy for all to think differently until they don't.;)

Ps. Oh, and I was frothing for ML to get a run last year, said his development could take place just as well in the firsts as at Box Hill. Others said 12 months to 24 months away, didn't have the body, yada yada.
Flinchfree - Tick.

Last edited:
The fixture is punishment for not turning up last year
With a bit of mayo thrown in for other issues with don't agree with the AFL on

Looking for tips on how to organise the extended family who aren't into footy to not make mothers day about them without upsetting the wife.

Answer can not be buy the all tickets to the Hawks Mother's day luncheon, I can't afford that on a mods salary :)

Looking for tips on how to organise the extended family who aren't into footy to not make mothers day about them without upsetting the wife.

Answer can not be buy the all tickets to the Hawks Mother's day luncheon, I can't afford that on a mods salary :)

Whoever kitted out the sensory depravation room could organise a day spa in one of the function rooms next year if we draw Mother’s Day again. ‘Hey I got you and your mum a day spa package!! Where is it you say? Somewhere in East Melbourne I think...’

Apologies if me saying our crowd figures are deplorable felt like I was going after posters who had genuinely legitimate reasons for missing. I just worry that our claims to be one of the big Melbourne clubs are sometimes dismissed by the muppets at AFLHQ - and when other clubs outdraw us then we will continue to cop **** draws like this year’s. I then really start to worry that when we do finally retreat from Tassie at some stage that the AFL will see fit to move a good portion of those new Melbourne home games to Superhero Stadium when I’d honestly rather pay the cheap plane fare and watch us in Launceston.
The AFL don't see us as a big Melbourne club. That's clear by the 8 sunday games and multitude of 3.20pm starts.

The AFL don't see us as a big Melbourne club. That's clear by the 8 sunday games and multitude of 3.20pm starts.

This is my point though - we need to give them a reason not to be utter campaigners with the draw.

Yes there's additional punishment from AFL house too

Would love a wikileaks scandal showing that the AFL had deliberately delivered us a fixture designed to make it commercially challenging for us - could fund Dingley with the proceeds

Inviting the extended family to an event around 11am or 12pm that's within 30 minutes (ideally) of the MCG is a great tip

The 3:20pm start time actually isn't too bad in terms of being able to do a mothers day lunch beforehand.

And yes there are plenty of people that still it's just too hard to get to games on Mothers Day, but we've had 6 games in Melbourne this year and I'm pretty sure that only one of them has been on Mothers Day

This is my point though - we need to give them a reason not to be utter campaigners with the draw.
We've dominated the comp for the last 10 years and have 80k members.......and they still don't see us as a big club.

My point is that they never will, or simply don't want to. There isn't much more we could do.

It would be great if all our members (at least the ones in Melbourne) could turn up to our home games but if it's a choice between having 40k extra members who pay their fees but only turn up when the going is good, or not having those extra 40k paying members and still getting a s**t fixture then you'd have to go for the former. Their money is still good.

Stocks_go_Up

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
WTF is going on with that crowd number? Not enough Mum's that go for Hawthorn? Didn't think the bandwagon effect was that big - you are still in the 8...

WTF is going on with that crowd number? Not enough Mum's that go for Hawthorn? Didn't think the bandwagon effect was that big - you are still in the 8...

Just actual things to do in Melbourne I guess, unlike the Corio area where the biggest pastimes are ice addiction and abandoning cars on the Princess Fwy.

Stocks_go_Up

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Just actual things to do in Melbourne I guess, unlike the Corio area where the biggest pastimes are ice addiction and abandoning cars on the Princess Fwy.
Your right, the city loop tram is awesome. Still not good enough to explain such a low number though.

May 11, 2006
Private Idaho
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
West Coast Racing Pigeon Club
We've dominated the comp for the last 10 years and have 80k members.......and they still don't see us as a big club.

Let's not forget 'equalisation' because of this and the effort of our club to achieve this behind the scenes, it is clear that the AFL don't mind taking our money but show noon respect back for it...fk the AFL and a big fk you to Gil..

Ps. Oh, and I was frothing for ML to get a run last year, said his development could take place just as well in the firsts as at Box Hill. Others said 12 months to 24 months away, didn't have the body, yada yada.
Flinchfree - Tick.

He didn’t have the body and he was absolutely ragdolled in his first games last year. The year in the VFL gave him a year to hone his craft, gain confidence and kick a tidy amount of goals. He also spent the off-season working his arse off to put on some bulk - which he has. The year in the VFL has done him the world of good. If he spent the year being outmuscled by defenders then he wouldn’t be where he is now.

Happy for others to see it differently.
Not many agreed with me when I was pulling for Sicily to get his run based on what he was doing at VFL, and certainly many called him a one trick pony and team cancer in his first 6-10 games. I thought and do think differently, and reckon I was right side of that call.
I didn't reckon Roughy was a good Captain choice when chosen and said so, many disagreed and disagree. I see it differently, and think history won't spend too much time writing praise of that period in terms of his abilitly to raise the team about him.
Alot said Cuz didn't have tricks, could only do one thing, wasn't a threat around goal. I praised the kid and said he needed to be played, and am happy to have seen it differently.

I don't need anyone here to agree with my calls, just tossing my thoughts outwards because it feels right to do so.
Happy for all to think differently until they don't.;)

Flinchfree - Tick.

Keep them coming. I was on the Cuz bandwagon early as well.

What are your current thoughts - anything you want to go on record with?

Back