Autopsy Round 8 : Hawks strangle Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Or not leaving tassie?

We are at loggerheads with City Hall over a few things for sure

Would be a great thing if our supporters can start attending matches at Marvel Stadium more

If we end up leaving Tassie one day then you'd expect we'll get an 8-3 or 7-4 split between MCG and Marvel home matches

Our clubs finances will then be in a world of pain if our supporters don't attend our home matches at Marvel

Very disappointing crowd but highly predictable.

Sort the commitments out. We had all my wifes family around at 12pm for lunch - meant could easily leave for the game - got there with 10 minutes to spare thanks to the train lines going down

Ok - I will come to your place next year;)

Probably late to the party here but just read through a lot of the comments Rd the poor attendance

I attended practically every game through 88-2006 but my situation is obviously very different now . Wife has her own business , weekend work , 2x kids under 3 etc
Still get my membership and one for the kids .
As much as I love the Hawks they are not winning a battle against my kids as far as priority goes.

What I would say is when I saw the fixture it meant someone like me had zero chance to attend games in the first few months and I think that’s wrong .

Would be a great thing if our supporters can start attending matches at Marvel Stadium more

If we end up leaving Tassie one day then you'd expect we'll get an 8-3 or 7-4 split between MCG and Marvel home matches

Our clubs finances will then be in a world of pain if our supporters don't attend our home matches at Marvel

Time to get some footy taxes back then. I’m thinking the scheme will be shelved then

Agree with you entirely.

However the AFL really need to pump money into Marvel. Even with 14k at the G it had more atmosphere than a 35k game at Marvel

Agree with you entirely.

However the AFL really need to pump money into Marvel. Even with 14k at the G it had more atmosphere than a 35k game at Marvel

Guessing you weren't at Marvel for the Saints game

Was an amazing atmosphere as the 80%+ Saints crowd really got behind their team

Wonder if that influenced the umpire with that free kick, or made the difference giving the Saints a real lift in the last quarter

Smitty has been on a long slow decline in form and effectiveness since that missed shot against the Catters.
Post that moment I thought he'd be back stronger and looking for leadership and the ability to be an assassin. I thought he'd suck in the Hawthorn vapors and go another level.
In effect today, he runs around alot but doesn't break down the opposition nearly as much, and his left peg has become pretty average in lethality.
Surprised.
Disappointed.
Not sure he gets back to his best over an extended period and to be relied on.

Hard, brutal but fair post.

The goal he missed in the final when he was smiling away walking in and then missed the one the next year against the Cats again from 50 on the run destroyed that confidence of his for sure.

I am sure someone will tell me he averages 25 possessions a game at 80% or some rubbish champion data stats but to be honest he has very little finesse when it comes to short passes and can’t understand why someone at the club hasn’t assisted him in rectifying this. .

He is much better striding out and launching it 60 than trying to spot up someone 25 away as that seems to almost always end up in a costly turnover for us.

Hard, brutal but fair post.

The goal he missed in the final when he was smiling away walking in and then missed the one the next year against the Cats again from 50 on the run destroyed that confidence of his for sure.

I am sure someone will tell me he averages 25 possessions a game at 80% or some rubbish champion data stats but to be honest he has very little finesse when it comes to short passes and can’t understand why someone at the club hasn’t assisted him in rectifying this. .

He is much better striding out and launching it 60 than trying to spot up someone 25 away as that seems to almost always end up in a costly turnover for us.

2018 was probably his second best season ever stats wise. And sure stats can be manipulated - but I’m pretty sure him finishing 3rd in the PCM is indicative that the coaches felt he did okay also.

Not going to argue the point that his 2019 has been ordinary - however to say there’s been a straight line decline since the end of 2016 is just a fallacy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2018 was probably his second best season ever stats wise. And sure stats can be manipulated - but I’m pretty sure him finishing 3rd in the PCM is indicative that the coaches felt he did okay also.

Not going to argue the point that his 2019 has been ordinary - however to say there’s been a straight line decline since the end of 2016 is just a fallacy.

Think I described it as long and slow, not straight, and more in effect to his effect.
How much he hurts the oppo with where and when he runs, how eviscerating his kicking used to be in comparison to todays version.
LMR described it better than me I think.

You know what shits me watching the replay?

The way the commentators acted like we've been doing that chip chip style every game for the last ten years.
Has been ages since I've seen us do it, and do it to that extent. Just such dumb, lazy commentary.
We only really did the chip chip thing with any regularity in the last quarter and that was purely playing it smart. We were a man down with Scrimshaw on the bench and if the Bulldogs could pull a 9 goal final quarter out of their asses then GWS were always going to be a chance if they could get some momentum. Chipping it around drew time out of the game, tired the GWS players out and ultimately assured our victory.

Without the 6-6-6 rule we probably could have got away with just playing an extra or two down back for the rest of the game but instead we had to find a way to prevent a position reset and centre bounce. And we did. And we won. Not Hawthorn's problem that it wasn't exciting stuff.

The way the commentators acted like we've been doing that chip chip style every game for the last ten years.
Has been ages since I've seen us do it, and do it to that extent. Just such dumb, lazy commentary.

I think on the game day telecast at half time or just before it, I am certain BT said something along the lines that the Hawks were hanging on. I thought, did I hear correctly. They guy must be watching another game. If anything, we should have been further in front at half time

11.55 in the last qtr.

Breust drops the mark. Harry Morrison collects and is swung to the ground by player wearing 50 (who I can't find at the moment on my phone).
There is two actions, the tackle and then when he's lying over Harry another, which judging by the shoulder movement I would guess was a forearm to the head?
The response from the crowd suggested something untoward as well.

Anyone at the ground to see what that was?

11.55 in the last qtr.

Breust drops the mark. Harry Morrison collects and is swung to the ground by player wearing 50 (who I can't find at the moment on my phone).
There is two actions, the tackle and then when he's lying over Harry another, which judging by the shoulder movement I would guess was a forearm to the head?

It didn't look good but we were southern stand wing - think you'd need to have been in the Ponsford to have a better view of it

11.55 in the last qtr.

Sam Reid is the GWS player.

The crowd was reacting to the sling tackle....lift off the ground and smash into turf.....

Thanks for the responses.
I agree, hard but fair initial tackle.
It was the second action that caught my eye, and I thought that's what the crowd was responding to.

No response or remonstration from either Hawk, but I was wondering all the same.

Thanks for the responses.
I agree, hard but fair initial tackle.
It was the second action that caught my eye, and I thought that's what the crowd was responding to.

No response or remonstration from either Hawk, but I was wondering all the same.

Second action on the replay certainly drew the most crowd reaction in my section - was probably just a bit of a jumper punch but looked very much like a deliberate forearm to the face due to the angle.

Roos said the same thing Monday night ‘but they’ve been playing that way for 10 years ‘

Clearly they don’t watch every game

Roos said the same thing Monday night ‘but they’ve been playing that way for 10 years ‘

Clearly they don’t watch every game
That’s why it isn’t worth watching those shows. They don’t watch enough of the games to be informed and then just talk bull s**t they gleaned from the stats sheet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back