Autopsy Round 8 : Hawks strangle Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Without the 6-6-6 rule we probably could have got away with just playing an extra or two down back for the rest of the game but instead we had to find a way to prevent a position reset and centre bounce. And we did. And we won. Not Hawthorn's problem that it wasn't exciting stuff.
Well observed. Unintended consequences of the rule changes.

That’s why it isn’t worth watching those shows. They don’t watch enough of the games to be informed and then just talk bull **** they gleaned from the stats sheet.

And of course a lot of the information is fed to them - no chance they are doing all the research themselves

Hard, brutal but fair post.

The goal he missed in the final when he was smiling away walking in and then missed the one the next year against the Cats again from 50 on the run destroyed that confidence of his for sure.

I am sure someone will tell me he averages 25 possessions a game at 80% or some rubbish champion data stats but to be honest he has very little finesse when it comes to short passes and can’t understand why someone at the club hasn’t assisted him in rectifying this. .

He is much better striding out and launching it 60 than trying to spot up someone 25 away as that seems to almost always end up in a costly turnover for us.

Where were you last year?

6-6-6 allows run ons to happen but its not leading to high scores or high quality footy

The other unexpected thing the 6-6-6 does is to ensure that there are 6 defenders to protect the whole 50. Before that rule, clubs would have a spare in defence, but most defenders were close to the 50 metre square.

Now there are 6 defenders inside the arc, and it blocks up the opposition forward line even more.

Steve Hocking rules!

That’s why it isn’t worth watching those shows. They don’t watch enough of the games to be informed and then just talk bull **** they gleaned from the stats sheet.
Totally agree , I only watch briefly and it’s normally to get out of doing other stuff

I think it's the danger of these run ons that has contributed to teams becoming ultra-defensive.
Yep. The rule changes were poorly tested (basically not at all) and totally ignored potential flow on consequences of the changes. Teams seem a lot more defensive, especially for centre square clearances. And also potentially playing more true defenders - ie hawks now playing two genuine talls now (rather than playing Sicily and an extra runner)

Even the kick out rule hasn’t really made any change as teams have just adjusted.

Got to watch the first half today. (Mothers Day didn't allow that)

Takeaways, we were well on top in the first half too.
Stratton was good on Greene... but
Finlayson (however you spell it) rag dolled more than once etc Hardwick because we gave Stratton the easy job who is a lot bigger than him. Hardwick toughed it out and torched him the other way, Finlayson is one of the few humans I've ever seen who high five himself for a mark or a possesion.
So my take away is Clarko protected the Captain... Hardwick although mad as a bandicoot kept at his job and wore Happy Gilmour down.
Oh and Toby Greene is real dumb... we are talking Forest Gump dumb. So much ability and so little brain. I don't even think Clarko could sort him out.
In saying that he could still win a final or even GF through his ability, just because you are a tool doesn't mean you ain't good at footy, I get the feeling he's already lost 3 through stupidity. And the stupidity is he had the ability to get his team into that grand final. But would rather be a tool. (Somewhat like me sometimes)

666 is fine.
The kick-out extension is doing more to encourage defensive play than anything else.
It pushes teams to defend further up the field in their defensive half because you can now kick it 75m if you play on.

The rule I would love to see introduced is the mandatory minimum in either 50m arc at every stoppage (perhaps 3-4)
That would open up the field, put more value of clearances and wing/running players, as well as give forwards space to run into in a more traditional lead-up scenario.

As it stands, when the ball is up the field the defenders dictate where the forwards go because of the defensive mindset of game plans.
Force coaches to play forwards in the forward line as much as possible.
Reduces the high press and rewards fast footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got to watch the first half today. (Mothers Day didn't allow that)

Takeaways, we were well on top in the first half too.
Stratton was good on Greene... but
Finlayson (however you spell it) rag dolled more than once etc Hardwick because we gave Stratton the easy job who is a lot bigger than him. Hardwick toughed it out and torched him the other way, Finlayson is one of the few humans I've ever seen who high five himself for a mark or a possesion.
So my take away is Clarko protected the Captain... Hardwick although mad as a bandicoot kept at his job and wore Happy Gilmour down.
Oh and Toby Greene is real dumb... we are talking Forest Gump dumb. So much ability and so little brain. I don't even think Clarko could sort him out.
In saying that he could still win a final or even GF through his ability, just because you are a tool doesn't mean you ain't good at footy, I get the feeling he's already lost 3 through stupidity. And the stupidity is he had the ability to get his team into that grand final. But would rather be a tool. (Somewhat like me sometimes)
Stevie J and Toby have a lot in common

Annoying campaigners both of them.
But pretty good at footy and kicking a goal

Also pretty good at being campaigners on field

Not so good at the post game interview though

I did hear that Stevie had a pretty good mind for footy though

11.55 in the last qtr.

Breust drops the mark. Harry Morrison collects and is swung to the ground by player wearing 50 (who I can't find at the moment on my phone).
There is two actions, the tackle and then when he's lying over Harry another, which judging by the shoulder movement I would guess was a forearm to the head?
The response from the crowd suggested something untoward as well.

Anyone at the ground to see what that was?
I think we were upset by the slinging motion and thought it should have been a free. Of course it wasn’t paid...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back