Game Day Round 8 - Inch Perfect Eagles vs. In the Goal Square Magpies - Sunday 27/7, 1:35pm @Optus Stadium

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Liam Ryan is in doubt for Sunday, his nephew sadly passed away mid week.

Assuming he is fit Jamaine Jones would be the likely replacement, otherwise we could see a return for Jack Petruccelle

It was his god son.

Neither Jones nor Petruccelle are fit.

Both are out with hamstring strains. Jones had a setback in his rehab and is still 2-3 weeks away. Petrucelle's was a severe hamstring strain, however has avoided surgery. He is still 4-5 weeks away.

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
It was his god son.

Neither Jones nor Petruccelle are fit.

Both are out with hamstring strains. Jones had a setback in his rehab and is still 2-3 weeks away. Petrucelle's was a severe hamstring strain, however has avoided surgery. He is still 4-5 weeks away.

Well that my theory out of the water then

Art OF war

Club Legend
May 5, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Hopefully Ryan plays but would understand if he doesn’t. With Achee out, Jones out, potentially Ryan out and Petch still injured, our forward line is short on smalls.

Big Cox 88

Cancelled
Low Carb High Fat - Acolyte
Apr 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
AC Milan, Chelsea
If Ryan is out I think it's Reid in. Not sure Camo should be risked given all the hammie disasters around the league.

I wouldn't hate it. Just need Crippa to play a blinder and Reid to work his arse off defensively.
Play Bailey Williams as our small forward. Bring us back to our Woosha days.

Been exercising my vocal cords for a pitch perfect, game long boo, now i'll have to ramp it up to be able to get around Flyin' Ryan every time he's within 10m of the ball or Mihocek's guts.

First there was Brayden Brayshaw...

now behold!

Brayden Mihocek

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
honestly expecting a 5 goal win here. they've been on the road for a few weeks now and having been at the pies/cats game last week both sides seemed to be lacking real intensity until the last quarter. think we'll absorb their best shot in the first half and be too well rested and clinical and run away with it in the second. got a feeling the hubbing vic sides are going to really struggle to find the 4 points against us or the dockers even.
Was thinking much the same...a reverse QLD Hub thingy for Vics in W.A..?
A malignant malaise...a covid conundrum..a homesick hub!
Although unlike WCE, they get to play in a great stadium in Victorian-like winter weather without the humidity and greasy conditions.
Regardless, here's hoping they get pantsed big-time!
BTW- is Reid any good, know nothing about him?

Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City
BTW- is Reid any good, know nothing about him?

Pressure type forward that marks well and can roll up the ground on occasion.

Played Claremont colts alongside Barrass but walked away from it and has since admitted that at that time his life was not in the right place for the levels of professionalism demanded at that level.

Went back to North Beach, enjoyed his football again, became qualified as a school teacher and gained the maturity and perspective that were missing previously.

Decided to give football one last crack - moved from D1 to A and kicked 54 goals in 20 matches, the second-highest in the competition. Played the following season through the midfield which caught the eye of the Eagles and led to him being signed as a member of the standalone team in the WAFL.

In his 15 matches at WAFL level playing almost exclusively up forward, he averaged more disposals than X.O'Neill or Foley and was outscored for goals by Waterman alone. Apart from Waterman and Williams, his 49 scoring shots was more than double the amount recorded by any other player in the squad.

Where he let himself down was his finishing: 23.26 - if his goal kicking had more polish, I have no doubt that he would have debuted already.

Missed the end of last season after requiring surgery to address a preexisting issue with his shoulder, including the opportunity to present at training for the supplemental position. That the club decided to take him on anyway perhaps speaks volumes of how highly rated his impact has been in a short space of time.

In two years he has gone from ammos to the biggest team at the highest level of competition. His mature frame (188cm, 86kg) allows him to have a physical presence up forward and provide pressure. There is no question that he is exceptionally raw and his execution needs improvement - but he also seems to be the type of player that knows how to be in the right place at the right time and has so far demonstrated an ability to improve when raised to a higher level.

If he is called upon I would expect that he should be able to provide a role similar to that undertaken by Ah Chee this season.

Mulldogg

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC

Played Claremont colts alongside Barrass but walked away from it and has since admitted that at that time his life was not in the right place for the levels of professionalism demanded at that level.

Went back to North Beach, enjoyed his football again, became qualified as a school teacher and gained the maturity and perspective that were missing previously.

Decided to give football one last crack - moved from D1 to A and kicked 54 goals in 20 matches, the second-highest in the competition. Played the following season through the midfield which caught the eye of the Eagles and led to him being signed as a member of the standalone team in the WAFL.

In his 15 matches at WAFL level playing almost exclusively up forward, he averaged more disposals than X.O'Neill or Foley and was outscored for goals by Waterman alone. Apart from Waterman and Williams, his 49 scoring shots was more than double the amount recorded by any other player in the squad.

Where he let himself down was his finishing: 23.26 - if his goal kicking had more polish, I have no doubt that he would have debuted already.

Missed the end of last season after requiring surgery to address a preexisting issue with his shoulder, including the opportunity to present at training for the supplemental position. That the club decided to take him on anyway perhaps speaks volumes of how highly rated his impact has been in a short space of time.

In two years he has gone from ammos to the biggest team at the highest level of competition. His mature frame (188cm, 86kg) allows him to have a physical presence up forward and provide pressure. There is no question that he is exceptionally raw and his execution needs improvement - but he also seems to be the type of player that knows how to be in the right place at the right time and has so far demonstrated an ability to improve when raised to a higher level.

If he is called upon I would expect that he should be able to provide a role similar to that undertaken by Ah Chee this season.
Don’t happen to know what he had for breakfast this morning by chance?

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea

Very informative post. I watched his Beagles games last year, and liked what I saw of him, coming from ammos and all. Has potential.

Astro7

Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

Thanks for the informative feedback! I feel completely up to speed! There seems to be a slight mixed reaction to him on here, which is not unusual. We both originally liked AhChee's possibilities, but he's taken a long time to have any impact, so if and when Reid gets a gig, lets hope he fares better?
Am really interested to see Reid play after your review of him.

Thanks for the informative feedback! I feel completely up to speed! There seems to be a slight mixed reaction to him on here, which is not unusual. We both originally liked AhChee's possibilities, but he's taken a long time to have any impact, so if and when Reid gets a gig, lets hope he fares better?
Am really interested to see Reid play after your review of him.
What Reid has going for him is I think he’s a more natural forward than Ah Chee and will get into better positions around the drop of the ball. He’s a very hard working player and he’s certainly done well to involve himself and create chances at WAFL level.

The big ‘but’ is his finishing skills, or lack thereof. Perhaps these have improved with some AFL coaching, but what he showed last year in this regard was well below AFL standard and I’d say average at best for WAFL level.

I’m not sold, but in reality he’s getting a game with about 5 guys unavailable in that position so it’s not the end of the world.

Astro7

Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
What Reid has going for him is I think he’s a more natural forward than Ah Chee and will get into better positions around the drop of the ball. He’s a very hard working player and he’s certainly done well to involve himself and create chances at WAFL level.

The big ‘but’ is his finishing skills, or lack thereof. Perhaps these have improved with some AFL coaching, but what he showed last year in this regard was well below AFL standard and I’d say average at best for WAFL level.

I’m not sold, but in reality he’s getting a game with about 5 guys unavailable in that position so it’s not the end of the world.
Ok, not so much the end of the world as the end of the 'depth' line..
So he wouldn't be as good as J. Jones? (unless he's improved)

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
First there was Brayden Brayshaw...

now behold!

Brayden Mihocek

To think I looked up how to spell Mihocek too.

Ah well, if BT can continously mix up Willie and Flyin' and never own up to it because he's a Muppet, I can mix up Mihocek and Maynard because their names both start with an 'M' and have seven letters.

All together now:

Karim Abdul Yeo

Cancelled
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
so funny hearing the pessimists in this forum thinking pies could win easily play the safe game. Let me remind everyone- regardless of form, injury list or whatever reason, the word "Easily win" has rarely been associated with interstate teams playing Eagles at their Home ground. So relax and stop acting safe and superstitious. Regardless of the final outcome tomorrow,Eagles are a favourite in this game .
I actually dislike this part of our game which is this so called underdog humble BS sports culture we have in Australia. If you are a favorite, just say it, nothing wrong if you get beaten it means your analysis was wrong.Its called ownership, a term we use everywhere and rarely apply.
I think coaches take the safe option just in case to avoid media backlash.If you know what you are doing, and you are comfortable with your list and know the opposition, there is nothing wrong to say that your team is better than opposition.
On many occasions, I have seen something like this : round 22- team A ( 18-2 record) playing Team B ( 1-19 record bottom of the ladder). Team A coach pre game press conference: " It is gonna be a very tough game for us today, they are playing great footy and we are not going to take it lightly". It is a joke when I hear that sort of stuff. Just say, we have more talent and if we show up we should win easily. #TallPoppySyndromeNation

Back