Autopsy Round 8: Liked, Learned, Hated

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hated.. The continued ignorance of the AFL management and need for complete overhaul of the rules/umpiring department.
The thing that really bothers me is that particularly on these threads, the ‘liked, learnt, hated’, there is always a reference to umpiring and rules.

I’d love the AFL executives to run BF accounts just to read the stuff that is driving people mad, particularly from pretty hardcore footy followers.

The Gillon administration has been an abject failure with regards to our game.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
The thing that really bothers me is that particularly on these threads, the ‘liked, learnt, hated’, there is always a reference to umpiring and rules.

I’d love the AFL executives to run BF accounts just to read the stuff that is driving people mad, particularly from pretty hardcore footy followers.

Gillon comes from the corporate school of thought of running things the way they'd like it to be, not the way it really is...this confuses the diploma waving business graduate... Everybody knows employers these days want a degree, but does that really help? All that talk about how a higher education improves you as a human being, instantly launches a stellar career and hurls you screaming into the transcendental nirvana of financial stability is pretty much bulldust. As "The Saints" once sang "Know Your Product"...i'm not convinced they do over at AFL headquarters, certainly not as well as they think they do.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Gillon comes from the corporate school of thought of running things the way they'd like it to be, not the way it really is...this confuses the diploma waving business graduate... Everybody knows employers these days want a degree, but does that really help? All that talk about how a higher education improves you as a human being, instantly launches a stellar career and hurls you screaming into the transcendental nirvana of financial stability is pretty much bulldust. As "The Saints" once sang "Know Your Product"...i'm not convinced they do over at AFL headquarters, certainly not as well as they think they do.
I guess the key metrics are crowds, tv rights, competition with rival codes etc. I wonder how those areas are performing?

That will eventually be the downfall of the great game, until the penny drops and they see the reality of the landscape that fans are unhappy with the way the rules constantly change, are not applied correctly and the need for full time umpires.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
That will eventually be the downfall of the great game, until the penny drops and they see the reality of the landscape that fans are unhappy with the way the rules constantly change, are not applied correctly and the need for full time umpires.
1. You need full time umpires
2. Alastair Clarkson needs to be given a permanent role in the AFL administration to restoring the game to the way it used to be
3. We need to cap the interchange rotations to stop these anaerobic monsters covering the entire ground with ease

20 years ago the skills of players was higher and the interchange rotations were kept down. The skills did not waver due to fatigue. The game opened up and the real footballers thrived. Give me a Simon Black or a Michael Long over a Dangerfield or Martin any day.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
Liked: Winning, Led Zeppelin being played pre-game, getting on the first train out of Jolimont for once post game

Learnt: I got no clue as to how the tribunal works

Hated: The crappy crowd at the game on Sunday (although it did leave the hardcores who were going off which was fun)

Bound For Rory

Team Captain
Apr 14, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'd say Harris Andrews is quite highly rated, particularly for someone who has two surnames

WHat is worse... two surnames or two first names?

We need a list... off the top of my head...

There must be a lot more.

Two First Names:
Brad Scott
Chris Scott
Caleb Daniel
Richard Douglas
Daniel Talia
Alex Keath
Charlie Cameron

Two Last Names:
Harris Andrews
Taylor Walker
Riley Knight

Wrong way around names:
Bailey Scott
Willem Drew

Two first and last names:
Lewis Taylor

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
WHat is worse... two surnames or two first names?

We need a list... off the top of my head...

There must be a lot more.

Two First Names:
Brad Scott
Chris Scott
Caleb Daniel
Richard Douglas
Daniel Talia
Alex Keath
Charlie Cameron
Jeremy Cameron
Dustin Martin
Stefan Martin

Two Last Names:
Harris Andrews
Taylor Walker
Riley Knight

Wrong way around names:
Bailey Scott
Willem Drew

Two first and last names:
Lewis Taylor
Mitchell Lewis
Added a couple off the top of my head

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Liked: We managed to win at the frozen fortress.

Learnt: The Brownlow Medal comes with multiple get out of jail cards.

Hated: The quality of the free to air games and the Fanta-Sia, Fantasia crap.

Bound For Rory

Team Captain
Apr 14, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

Your theory is correct that having a degree isnt the be-all and end-all, however on average you'd prefer someone university educated to someone who isnt.

Where Gillon falls down is something nobody can educate...reading the room/understanding your clientele

Jun 13, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bears
1. You need full time umpires
2. Alastair Clarkson needs to be given a permanent role in the AFL administration to restoring the game to the way it used to be
3. We need to cap the interchange rotations to stop these anaerobic monsters covering the entire ground with ease

20 years ago the skills of players was higher and the interchange rotations were kept down. The skills did not waver due to fatigue. The game opened up and the real footballers thrived. Give me a Simon Black or a Michael Long over a Dangerfield or Martin any day.
Regarding number 2, do we really think abusing junior football umpires is the example we want set? Why on earth would Clarkson be good at the AFL?

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Regarding number 2, do we really think abusing junior football umpires is the example we want set? Why on earth would Clarkson be good at the AFL?
I did not mention anything re advocating abusing junior umpires. Re that incident with him he was a dickhead.

He would be good for the game in a sense that he would and could identify why these issues re congestion would remain, he has revolutionised the game re flow and movement significantly in an age where an ultra defensive ethos is practiced.

Back