Toast Round 8 = North Melbourne 76-94 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

No he is a ruckman, and probably one of the worst contested marking ruckman in the comp. It would appear we overpaid him and it is part of the reason we are in the mess we are right now.
I remember at the time wondering if an offer to Adelaide for O'Brien and a Crouch brother would have been a better way to spend a million a year

No he is a ruckman, and probably one of the worst contested marking ruckman in the comp. It would appear we overpaid him and it is part of the reason we are in the mess we are right now.

and Also overpaying for Players like De Goey who have 1 good game then go Missing for about a Month

and Also overpaying for Players like De Goey who have 1 good game then go Missing for about a Month

Yes but Grundy is the 7 year disaster at the centre of the problem. DeGoey’s contract is relatively short term which gives you flexibility. Grundy’s is the lead weight that will hold us back for years.

I just can't fathom how a bunch of posters watched the same game I did and somehow thought he butchered the ball. Of his 30 possessions.. only 6 didn't get to a team mate. That's outstanding and yet here I am reading how he "butchered it". It's just weird.

Yes but 3 of those 6 directly resulted in goals to north

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes but 3 of those 6 directly resulted in goals to north

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Directly? So the oppo player got it from him and kicked a goal? Don't think so.
There's a difference between a few clangers and "butchering the ball". If you dispose of the ball 30 times in the backline... Chances are when you turn it over you will be creating a scoring chance... As opposed to a forward flanker. Context matters... As do the stats, both of which shows you guys don't have a grasp on either.

I’ve seen both of them a few times coming in/out of cafes in Swan st, so must be good mates ( obviously)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It was Howes place that Sidey and Dunn visited against Covid rules last year (comisserating his injury) ....which turned later that night into the bender that derailed the season.

I thought the non booing of Stevo was quite telling as well as pleasing.
Our crowd didn't boo Treloar in round 1 either. In fact, later in the game when he gathered a possession on the wing in front of the AFL members our supporters in the area stood up and applauded him.

Dave - His skills are abysmal.
Round 1 2 Dogs rucks took him to the cleaners and their 2 salaries together would be less than Grundy - therein lies the problem.
Pies need to trade him this off season and try to get the cap back under control.

Guess we can trade quite a Few More as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats on win guys. Anybody go and think there were only 22,500 people there ?
We've been playing there a long time but that was easily 30 +

Cheers.
If they didn't announce it on the big screen, I would have guessed around 27-32K.

22,000 did feel low despite the generally loud atmosphere throughout, particularly in the second half when the game was on the line.

If they didn't announce it on the big screen, I would have guessed around 27-32K.

22,000 did feel low despite the generally loud atmosphere throughout, particularly in the second half when the game was on the line.
Yes PM, felt and sounded like a 28 ish crowd to me. The seemed to have the crowd well spaced so it appeared the entire ground was well populated. No mass empty sections, actually thought North did a good job on the day as the home team.

Round 1 2 Dogs rucks took him to the cleaners and their 2 salaries together would be less than Grundy - therein lies the problem.
Pies need to trade him this off season and try to get the cap back under control.
His skills are not “abysmal.”
We don’t “need” to trade him.

His skills are not “abysmal.”
We don’t “need” to trade him.
I guess you missed his attempt at a 15 meter pass against the Roos that rolled along the ground about 20 times and was almost a fresh air swing.
But let's use the AFL stats - Grundy 6 for 10 = 4 clangers 60% efficiency - Cameron 9 for 10 = 1 clanger and 90% efficiency.
Hitting the scoreboard - Cameron 3.1, Grundy 0.1
Almost all the list need remedial skills training - but you could see that JDG has a much better kicking routine and style now - so he is listening and it is showing on game day.
Grundy takes up too much cap space (and it is not his fault) and was a bad contract - if we trade him we can get the cap more under control.
He is just not worth the contract he is on.

I guess you missed his attempt at a 15 meter pass against the Roos that rolled along the ground about 20 times and was almost a fresh air swing.
But let's use the AFL stats - Grundy 6 for 10 = 4 clangers 60% efficiency - Cameron 9 for 10 = 1 clanger and 90% efficiency.
Almost all the list need remedial skills training - but you could see that JDG has a much better kicking routine and style now - so he is listening and it is showing on game day.
Grundy takes up too much cap space (and it is not his fault) and was a bad contract - if we trade him we can get the cap more under control.
You want to give away another one of our top players? No thanks.

I agree that his contract is bad. But how can we trade him with that contract? We'd end up having to pay a portion of it and then we're stuck partially paying two gun footballers.

It's a bad contract that we're going to have to live with. In 7 years it might not look that bad... well I'm hoping anyway.

To be fair, when negotiating his contract he has just come off last 2x AA, last 2x Copeland trophy winner, best ruckman in the league who was getting 20+ possessions a game.
And he was fast becoming the face of Collingwood. Even my kids were getting socks with Grundy’s face on them with their memberships.

What he has dished up since the end of 2019 obviously hasn’t been to the same standard. But you can’t say he didn’t deserve to be one of our higher paid players at the time.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back