Toast Round 8 = North Melbourne 76-94 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

North have pushed very good teams in recent weeks. If they are as bad as you suggest Melbourne is the worst undefeated team in the history of our game. Why go hyperbolic?

North had played ok in recent weeks, but not tonight. They were pretty s**t. Wish I could say it was due to our pressure, but a lot of their errors were unforced.

Still good to get a win

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Off your high horse. Supporters are entitled to express their disappointment or criticise what they perceive to be poor coaching or lack of effort.

My words referred to those openly wishing that Collingwood lost.

In the post that you quoted where do I say the people aren't allowed to express disappointment or criticize the coaching or a lack of effort? Go on, reread it once more.

You're miles off and on a tangent. Don't put words in my mouth because I don't appreciate it.

Last edited:
Agree - and needs to improve his decision making, he is very hesitant before giving off and fails to take the first option.
Needs to improve his hurt factor and penetration. Cannot have Mayne as the template for players to follow. Handball backwards, or short passes or generic kicks to packs. Does my head in and causes stagnant transition

Any young prospective afl player.. however remote you think the dream is.. get a hold of the replay.. and concentrate your efforts on watching Noble play..

You're a chance.

Don't give up the dream.

Super harsh there.

Yeah, the lad coughed up a bunch of possessions straight back to the opposition ...

... but he was only able to do that because he was able to get his hand on the footy in the first place. And he more than made up for his mistakes.

Super harsh there.

Yeah, the lad coughed up a bunch of possessions straight back to the opposition ...

... but he was only able to do that because he was able to get his hand on the footy in the first place. And he more than made up for his mistakes.

Fair dinkum.

Look re.. it was a free for all for our backline.. Maynard had his best game.. Moore and Noble were playing with a lot more freedom to move forward.. cause Nth were s**t.. so we got a better look at what they'd be like playing wing/mid style roles.

Noble.. when given the opportunity to create and run.. was awful.. Moore on the other hand was brilliant. Moore would be an absolute spanner if we played to his strengths.. against the better sides.. instead of having him spend 99% of time in our back 50.. why not allow him the freedom to run through the guts and on the wings.. just allow the bloke to run re.

Last edited:
I agree, I absolutely won’t blast a bloke for trying when so many of our players look so devoid of effort. Gets a pass for mine but, as you said, someone needs to get in his ear about his decision making

Re: Noble, I take it to be that he needs to widen up his spatial awareness.

For example, it’s often said that Pendlebury is a 360 degree player. Little known fact, but Pendlebury came from a basketball background, which helps give him his spatial awareness.

Daicos is another 360 degree player with ball in had.

By contrast, with ball in hand Noble seems to be more like a 15 degree player. That works for him a lot of the time because when he collects the footy he can be assertive and fuss free, and it looks beautiful when there is somebody on the end of it, but when there is not he looks a bit silly.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I should add the umpiring was atrocious for both sides.

Even though it benefited us, the Zurhaar decision was a joke. We all jokingly called "deliberate" in the crowd believing the umpire wouldn't fall for it, and yet he paid it :p

I think a lot of excuses are made for the umpires at times. There's no excuse for that. 100% the umpire's fault. To become an umpire, you should need to pass some kind of common sense test.

I think a lot of excuses are made for the umpires at times. There's no excuse for that. 100% the umpire's fault. To become an umpire, you should need to pass some kind of common sense test.

It is easy to be critical and there were some really poor decisions last night, but their job is incredibly difficult.

I umpired junior soccer and even that was difficult. You second guess ever decision, and AFL is far more difficult to officiate than soccer. All you need is to get a player in front of you even for a split second and it is easy to make the wrong call.

I am not one for blaming umpiring when we lose, or the umpires are biased. Over the coarse of a game decisions generally go both ways and the outcome is determined by the players, not the umpires. After all, players make more errors in a game than the umpires generally do.

I thought Darcy Cameron had a good game

And Cameron took a very good mark which was barely acknowledged by the commentators.

First time I’ve paid him much attention TBH. Hasn’t really been on my radar, as I pegged him as one of Hine’s left field choices from the dark corners of another club’s list. But I’m warming to him.

Good to get a W, but that wasn’t a “weight lifted off our shoulders result” it was built almost entirely on the back of massive games from Moore and JDG who will be nowhere near as effective against Buddy and Rampe next week. Between the fumbles, turnovers, slipping over (did that irritate anyone else as much as me??) and general dumb footy that was your quintessential bottom 4 struggle.

I might just comment on a few themes I felt stood out. It’ll be blunt for the most part:

- IQ is not tracking anywhere near as well as posters on here think. His ball use, competitiveness and defensive craft were horrible yesterday (it’s been a consistent theme too). I don’t think dropping him is the solution, but on what I’ve seen the past 4-6 weeks I’m now concerned over his future as a defender.

- Noble was perhaps the biggest fumble and dumb footy exponent out there yesterday. He did offer plenty of run though and built on what was as bad a first quarter as I’ve seen since Plowman in Rd 2.

- Sidebottom, the best way I can break it down is he’s either lazier than Sier or he’s lost two yards. He was as good as ever ball in hand yesterday, but I’m beginning to understand better why clubs are able to stroll out of the centre against us because his pressure game is non existent.

- Grundy, I think the numbers will cover what was another average one. Some of his “efforts” in marking contests v Campbell were as poor as Sidebottom’s pressure.

- T Brown, I felt his game was the barometer. At the first bounce I was genuinely concerned seeing him lined up on Cunnington, but it wound up a fine piece of coaching from Buckley and Brown executed extremely well. By eye Cunnington got off the chain early in the third and was busy, but not impactful in the last and the numbers supported that with his 4 clearances in that third driving their comeback. Let’s see how he goes v Kennedy before we assess it further.

- Cameron continues to step up in a big way. Surely Cox’s time in the senior side is done while this guy is fit because he offers everything Cox does plus he’s a better mark, can hold his ground in a 1 v 1 and he has a s**t tonne more agility. IDK if he’s a solution to a problem we’ve been trying to solve for a while, but he might at least bridge the gap until we do.

- Roughead, damn this guys return to form has slipped under the radar. He’s been a rock for us this year under intense pressure. He’ll be tough to replace v Sydney even with Howe set to return.

I think the rest performed at the standard I expect of them v the worst team in it as young kids showing signs (Poulter, McReery, Henry, Keane and Murphy), experienced guys that are over the hill and only getting game time because of the youth push (WHE, Thomas and Mayne) and guys that are good footballers in their prime who should be delivering week in week out (Crisp, Daicos, Maynard and Mihocek). It remains to be seen what the win does for the group and although I’m not expecting much it does at least effectively rule us out of winning the spoon because I can’t see us going winless from here and that North outfit is not winning 3-4 matches (minimum) to overtake us.

Imagine the amount of replies this thread would have got if we lost.

We are rebuilding, you enjoy the wins however they come. One play I want to bring up, in theaat quarter, I saw C Brown put in a legitimate 100 to 150m sprint to get on the end and help a team mate out. We need more of that as we seem so stagnant with out leading.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back