Toast Round 8 = North Melbourne 76-94 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I love the umpire slamming from fans. Go umpire a game yourself and you will see how impossible it is at AFL level even without acknowledging how often they change the rules.

Shanks and off the side of the boot kicks are given as deliberate in the back half every single week. Obviously he was going for goal but we shouldn't have rules for one half of the field that arnt paid down the other.

The problem is its all perspective. Roos fans will focus on the taking the legs call, but pies fans can focus on the holding the ball miss call before Mahonys goal and both fans think they're hard done by.

It may actually be that the Roos have a worse list management/recruitment team than us.

To not take Logan MacDonald but go for another midfielder at pick 2/3 (who can’t seem to get a game) on top of all their other similar sized players is mind boggling.

Didn’t they learn from Davis-Uniake???

Hine would of done the same. Anti kpf action faction.

Umpires can do what they want because they aren't held to account anyway. The AFL always comes out and backs them up.
That’s not true. Umpires get dropped based upon performance and we have seen the AFL come out and say when they have got it wrong. We have seen it already with the non-call in the dying seconds which cost the Lions against Geelong and again last week

And Cameron took a very good mark which was barely acknowledged by the commentators.

First time I’ve paid him much attention TBH. Hasn’t really been on my radar, as I pegged him as one of Hine’s left field choices from the dark corners of another club’s list. But I’m warming to him.
Yes he clunked 2 important marks very close together at crucial time Happy to see him keep his spot

That’s not true. Umpires get dropped based upon performance and we have seen the AFL come out and say when they have got it wrong. We have seen it already with the non-call in the dying seconds which cost the Lions against Geelong and again last week
With respect Billy this change from the AFL is VERY recent, until very recently the AFL stone walled every single incident.

The largest part of the problem is the insistence that umpires must be perfect.

This is clearly impossible.

It's time for proper video surveillance, not only of the play but of umpire positioning. I would hazard the guess that a good 70% of umpiring howlers are caused by them being blind sided by intervening players. In most cases this is probably unavoidable but in some it might come down to poor positioning by the officiating umpire.

I have no problem with any umpire making an honest mistake - they are as human as the rest of us . . .

BUT

I have a huge problem when they are clearly blind sided and they GUESS.

Don't get me wrong, I reckon the Pies played better for longer & deserved the points, but if yesterday's umpiring was anything to go by then we may as well find something else to do on the weekends.

The media are also complicit in the censorship of the biggest issue facing the sport.

Yesterday was a disgrace.
How can anyone possibly whine 26 times a day, year in year out?

Umpires can do what they want because they aren't held to account anyway. The AFL always comes out and backs them up.

There is no way you could possibly know if they are held to account. Holding an umpire to account publicly is something many fans want but in practise it would be a terrible way to handle bad decisions. How many people are going to put their hand up to work and umpire for the AFL if their boss comes our and publicly criticises poor individual performances? Good leaders typically praise in public and give feedback for improvement in private. Not sure you would like

Our game is just about the hardest sport to umpire, there is so much grey and rules change all the time.

Good to get a W, but that wasn’t a “weight lifted off our shoulders result” it was built almost entirely on the back of massive games from Moore and JDG who will be nowhere near as effective against Buddy and Rampe next week. Between the fumbles, turnovers, slipping over (did that irritate anyone else as much as me??) and general dumb footy that was your quintessential bottom 4 struggle.
Yeah I don't know why this kept happening - North didn't seem to do it either and can't have been wet under the roof :think:

Don't get me wrong, I reckon the Pies played better for longer & deserved the points, but if yesterday's umpiring was anything to go by then we may as well find something else to do on the weekends.

The media are also complicit in the censorship of the biggest issue facing the sport.

The umpires are against North, the media are against North, the AFL is against North. Yeah we get it.....

Pretty tiresome this rubbish that constantly comes out of North. We’re all over it.

The umpires are against North, the media are against North, the AFL is against North. Yeah we get it.....

Pretty tiresome this rubbish that constantly comes out of North. We’re all over it.

How's sweeping uncomfortable truths under the carpet working out for you in the real world?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to get a W, but that wasn’t a “weight lifted off our shoulders result” it was built almost entirely on the back of massive games from Moore and JDG who will be nowhere near as effective against Buddy and Rampe next week. Between the fumbles, turnovers, slipping over (did that irritate anyone else as much as me??) and general dumb footy that was your quintessential bottom 4 struggle.

I might just comment on a few themes I felt stood out. It’ll be blunt for the most part:

- IQ is not tracking anywhere near as well as posters on here think. His ball use, competitiveness and defensive craft were horrible yesterday (it’s been a consistent theme too). I don’t think dropping him is the solution, but on what I’ve seen the past 4-6 weeks I’m now concerned over his future as a defender.

- Noble was perhaps the biggest fumble and dumb footy exponent out there yesterday. He did offer plenty of run though and built on what was as bad a first quarter as I’ve seen since Plowman in Rd 2.

- Sidebottom, the best way I can break it down is he’s either lazier than Sier or he’s lost two yards. He was as good as ever ball in hand yesterday, but I’m beginning to understand better why clubs are able to stroll out of the centre against us because his pressure game is non existent.

- Grundy, I think the numbers will cover what was another average one. Some of his “efforts” in marking contests v Campbell were as poor as Sidebottom’s pressure.

- T Brown, I felt his game was the barometer. At the first bounce I was genuinely concerned seeing him lined up on Cunnington, but it wound up a fine piece of coaching from Buckley and Brown executed extremely well. By eye Cunnington got off the chain early in the third and was busy, but not impactful in the last and the numbers supported that with his 4 clearances in that third driving their comeback. Let’s see how he goes v Kennedy before we assess it further.

- Cameron continues to step up in a big way. Surely Cox’s time in the senior side is done while this guy is fit because he offers everything Cox does plus he’s a better mark, can hold his ground in a 1 v 1 and he has a sh*t tonne more agility. IDK if he’s a solution to a problem we’ve been trying to solve for a while, but he might at least bridge the gap until we do.

- Roughead, damn this guys return to form has slipped under the radar. He’s been a rock for us this year under intense pressure. He’ll be tough to replace v Sydney even with Howe set to return.

I think the rest performed at the standard I expect of them v the worst team in it as young kids showing signs (Poulter, McReery, Henry, Keane and Murphy), experienced guys that are over the hill and only getting game time because of the youth push (WHE, Thomas and Mayne) and guys that are good footballers in their prime who should be delivering week in week out (Crisp, Daicos, Maynard and Mihocek). It remains to be seen what the win does for the group and although I’m not expecting much it does at least effectively rule us out of winning the spoon because I can’t see us going winless from here and that North outfit is not winning 3-4 matches (minimum) to overtake us.
Bit surprised on your opinion of IQ ...

Noble annoyed me yesterday as did all the slipping over...however I don't mind him.

I still prefer cox over Cameron however agree Cameron has been good and improving

Agree on the the rest

Absolutely!
Amateur hour, needed to change their boots at 1/4 time

Docklands surface has always been suss due to makeup of the surface (concrete covered with dirt).

The grass structure doesn't "knit" as well as normal footy grounds.

Bit of a worry it took career games from Moore and De Goey to get over the line against North. At least we are safe from the spoon because North have that in the bag.

Hope it gives some confidence to the guys.

North had played ok in recent weeks, but not tonight. They were pretty sh*t. Wish I could say it was due to our pressure, but a lot of their errors were unforced.

Still good to get a win

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It's comforting to know we are a 3 goal better side than North when they play particularly poorly.

Did you really think North - Collingwood were going to get the Grand Final umpires??

No mate, but I didn't think we'd get the Nar Nar Goon under 9's umpires either.

Yep, the umps were terrible yesterday, bad decisions and inconsistency, which went both ways. I noticed that Pendlebury approached them during one of the breaks after a bad one went against us. Myself and other pie fans laughed when we got that deliberate off a shanked kick.

Margetts (#6) stood out as the worst, but that’s not excusing the other two.

Time to make the umps full time.

Yep, the umps were terrible yesterday, bad decisions and inconsistency, which went both ways. I noticed that Pendlebury approached them during one of the breaks after a bad one went against us. Myself and other pie fans laughed when we got that deliberate off a shanked kick.

Time to make the umps full time.

I sensed a lot of band aid type "even up" free kicks yesterday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back