Toast Round 8 = North Melbourne 76-94 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine the amount of replies this thread would have got if we lost.

We are rebuilding, you enjoy the wins however they come. One play I want to bring up, in theaat quarter, I saw C Brown put in a legitimate 100 to 150m sprint to get on the end and help a team mate out. We need more of that as we seem so stagnant with out leading.

He only came onto the ground in the 4th quarter, completely fresh.

I sensed a lot of band aid type "even up" free kicks yesterday.
One of the shockers that hasn’t got the same attention is the off the ball high against Grundy. Grundy ran into a NM player who fell over, the non-officiating ump who was 70m away in the centre paid the free. The issue is that Grundy was between the ump and opponent meaning it was impossible for that ump to spot high contact. I was seated on the other side of the collision and there wasn’t any high contact.

Clearly the call was a guess. What else are they guessing?

How's sweeping uncomfortable truths under the carpet working out for you in the real world?
😂. You guys are banging on about how there were much more than 22k at the game but the AFL won’t release the real figure!
Tarrant hasn’t been AA because he plays for North!
The umpires only hate North.

Maybe you need to live life without a big chip on your shoulder and accept that it’s not about North.

One of the shockers that hasn’t got the same attention is the off the ball high against Grundy. Grundy ran into a NM player who fell over, the non-officiating ump who was 70m away in the centre paid the free. The issue is that Grundy was between the ump and opponent meaning it was impossible for that ump to spot high contact. I was seated on the other side of the collision and there wasn’t any high contact.

Clearly the call was a guess. What else are they guessing?

I dare say they get briefed during the breaks about the hideous crap they serve up and then go in to patch up mode.

Jordan certainly had a good day with them.

I dare say they get briefed during the breaks about the hideous crap they serve up and then go in to patch up mode.

Jordan certainly had a good day with them.
I like the idea of a captain call, but only if it’s one per quarter and kept if successful.

He is not a million dollar a year player. He rarely takes contested marks or kicks goals. He is not as active at ground level in clearances. A team's most highly paid player is expected to do more than 'break even'.
He got 5 clearances yesterday. That’s a good days work by any metric...

I think he’s been really, really positive this year and while disposal isn’t his strong point it’s also not as bad as what he exhibited today. It looked like he was trying to keep his dad in a job

Watching his game I reckon he was nervous playing in front of his oldman
started with his first disposal

He is not a million dollar a year player. He rarely takes contested marks or kicks goals. He is not as active at ground level in clearances. A team's most highly paid player is expected to do more than 'break even'.
Yeah thought he was out pointed by Campbell, particularly as the game wore on.

I like the idea of a captain call, but only if it’s one per quarter and kept if successful.

I know what the overriding problem is with the game, but it's the one thing the AFL doesn't want to address, and that is speed.

The pace & fitness of modern day players, combined with coaching tactics, has taken the sport beyond the very fundamentals that made the game great.

He was acting like it was some heroic action for a guy to bust his gut running late in the game, when in reality he was completely fresh and that's the bare minimum for a bloke who doesn't offer anything with the ball.

And your negative response basically indicated that it didn’t matter what C Brown did it wouldn’t really count for much because he was fresh.

Why the need for constraint negativity?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no idea why Zeibell didn't play on De Goey all game. He's not damaging ball in hand so his free role is a waste of time.

Collingwood finally halted their losing streak by responding with a victory against North Melbourne by 18 points (3 goals). The Magpies were able to kick enough goals at the right time to keep the lead and ultimately win the contest with plenty of intercept marks and dash from defence, while the midfield division won the centre clearances regularly for a change, before the forwards were able to take enough marks and convert opportunities when they were there to be taken. Most importantly of all, Collingwood punished crucial errors that the Kangaroos conjured, which enabled the Woods to get a much-needed win after all of the media outlets had piled on the pressure and asked the same pointless questions that did not need to be asked in the lead-up to Saturday's match. I was relieved and ultimately pleased with the performance, and would like to think it will start a level of resurgence for the club to start chalking up wins in the near future. Plenty of work and boxes that need to be ticked off before they occur over the coming weeks, while the season is still in progress with plenty of matches left to be fought and won.

Collingwood won much of the statistical categories on offer, such as disposals by +49 (327 - 378), kicks were won by +13 (240 - 227), +36 for handballs (187 - 151), while contested possessions had a differential of +14 (133 - 119) and uncontested possessions were won by +30 (288 - 258). Clearances had a margin of +5 (29 - 24), with centre clearances won narrowly by +2 (15 - 13), stoppage clearances were similarly narrow with a differential of +3 (14 - 11), and +5 for hit-outs (25 - 20). Contested Marks were won by +2 (11 - 9), while tackles had a gap of +5 (49 - 44), and Tackles Inside 50 had a minute gain of +2 ( 10 - 8 ). North Melbourne had gains from intercept possessions by +4 (86 - 82), Marks Inside 50 were won by +5 (16 - 11), while Inside 50s were up by +3 (55 - 52). Uncontested marks was the only category that was in dispute with 101 marks apiece between the two sides.

Jack Crisp (31 disposals @ 71%, 665 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 22 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 20 kicks, 11 handballs, 9 marks, 4 tackles, 3 goal assists, 6 score involvements, 2 clearances, 8 Inside 50s & 3 Rebound 50s) spent a lot of time in the centre square attending centre bounces which gave the Magpies a point of difference. Crisp was able to find time and space through the midfield to pump the ball forward effectively and regularly. Crisp also worked hard defensively to link up when Collingwood needed a ball-winner in-tight behind the play and made himself a marking outlet for Collingwood's exit out of defence as often as possible.

Chris Mayne (28 disposals @ 96%, 200 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 24 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 16 kicks, 12 handballs, 7 marks, 3 tackles, 4 score involvements & 4 Rebound 50s) played on the wing predominantly, before folding back to take regular marks in defence when Collingwood chose to switch the ball or maintain possession to create scores. Mayne was able to tick both of those boxes off effectively by sticking to his limitations nicely.

Brodie Grundy (25 disposals @ 88%, 239 metres gained, 10 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 23 hit-outs, 10 kicks, 15 handballs, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 4 score involvements, 5 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) comfortably won his battle against Todd Goldstein by outpointing him in ruck contests, won more disposals, took some marks and tackled with ferocity. Grundy gave his midfield enough opportunities to win the ball regularly and consistently throughout the game.

Josh Daicos (24 disposals @ 71%, 132 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 18 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 15 handballs, 3 tackles, 4 score involvements, 2 clearances & 2 Inside 50s) had a solid game without having a huge impact. Daicos spent the game handpassing the ball to teammates who were in a better position to kick the ball. Displayed plenty of composure with the ball, even though it wasn't an overly great game for him.

Steele Sidebottom (22 disposals @ 82%, 260 metres gained, 12 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 8 handballs, 2 marks, 5 tackles, 1 goal assist, 5 score involvements, 8 clearances, 5 centre clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 3 Inside 50s & 4 Rebound 50s) had a dynamic game in the midfield for his 250th game, where he won clearances at will and used the ball effectively in general play.

Scott Pendlebury (21 disposals @ 90%, 300 meres gained, 7 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 11 kicks, 10 handballs, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 6 score involvements, 6 clearances, 3 centre clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 3 Inside 50s & 2 goals) spent periods of time up forward where he kicked 2 goals in the first half, before demonstrating his prowess in the midfield with his ability to win clearances. Pendlebury had not kicked a goal for the 2021 season until Saturday's game.

Brayden Maynard (32 disposals @ 81%, 574 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 28 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 10 marks, 2 tackles, 4 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 4 Rebound 50s) found some much-needed form and touch, although he still had skill errors, which did not prove to be too costly. Won enough of the ball to still be damaging and effective for his team's benefit in general play.

John Noble (31 disposals @ 81%, 431 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 29 uncontested possessions, 19 kicks, 12 handballs, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 3 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) provided plenty of dash with run and carry off half-back combined with effective ball use, and gave his teammates an option to receive a handball at every opportunity when Collingwood could not play on quickly.

Darcy Moore (28 disposals @ 86%, 476 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 24 uncontested possessions, 11 intercept possessions, 19 kicks, 5 handballs, 19 marks, 2 tackles, 1 goal assist, 4 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 4 Rebound 50s) returned to his normal habitat in defence, and put on a clinic with an intercept-marking masterclass that gave the Magpies a high level of safety and security to transition the ball from defence to attack with great reliability and consistency.

Isaac Quaynor (23 disposals @ 96%, 396 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 20 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 16 kicks, 7 handballs, 10 marks, 5 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 8 Rebound 50s) made a stark improvement from his previous game by reducing his errors, hit his targets and linked up in tandem brilliantly with John Noble.

Jordan De Goey (17 disposals @ 59%, 360 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 12 kicks, 5 handballs, 6 marks, 3 Contested Marks, 6 Marks Inside 50, 9 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 6 goals) kicked 6 goals for the second time in his career to spearhead the Magpies to their second victory of the season. Started like a house on fire in the first half, especially in the first quarter, and maintained his reliability and consistency over the course of four quarters.

Darcy Cameron (14 disposals @ 71%, 150 metres gained, 10 contested possessions, 4 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 10 kicks, 4 handballs, 5 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 1 goal assist, 6 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 3 goals) had a big second half of footy to get the Woods over the line with a couple of big grabs and timely goals to extinguish the fire that the Kangaroos attempted to cause.

Collingwood's next game will be against Sydney on May 15 at the SCG. These battles against the Swans are usually low-scoring arm wrestles. Compete well in the contest, hit targets in general play and convert opportunities when they present themselves. Do the basics well against the Swans, Collingwood, and victory will be a very distinct possibility to generate momentum into a season that is yet to reach lofty heights. C549FE9D-5CEE-4AD2-964C-D3B7D484A351.jpeg F11CB3AC-2DF9-4100-9268-EB312C6EC908.jpeg

Grundy was one of our three top rated players today! You have to be kidding!

I guess that’s what happens when you get 25 disposals @ 88%DE, 23 hit outs (game high), 9 to advantage (game high) and a hit out win % of 46%, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 5 clearances.

I’m not sure Henry is tall enough to make it as an overhead marking forward at AFL level. His opponents in the AFL will be taller and stronger and just as quick. He might need to reinvent himself as a midfielder.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If he doesn't make it as a forward, he'll be a fantastic prospect as an intercepting defender.

Yeah I don't know why this kept happening - North didn't seem to do it either and can't have been wet under the roof :think:

I’d assume they only closed the roof for the game so was there any rain that preceded that happening?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back