Autopsy Round 8 North Melbourne vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Jason Dunstall summarised it perfectly during the broadcast - "they find ways not to execute". Twice in the space of a few minutes, we turn it over kicking sideways - far more often than that, we go for a handball too many, a sidestep too many, a short pass too many, and squander whatever opportunities we've actually worked to open up (or get lucky, like Mahony's first quarter goal - messed it up about five times but somehow still got the score).

That is, of course, during the periods where we actually had some degree of control over the play... it's hard to take much from a game where the standard is that abysmally low, but we were nowhere near it in the first quarter and the fact we were only a goal down says a lot about how Collingwood were playing. Really encouraging patch of play to get us back into it at the start of the second half, and like the first half against Melbourne last week it's obvious just how much this side lifts when they have enthusiasm and confidence (and, as we saw in the Adelaide game and elsewhere, just how far we slump when that confidence is dented...) - but we certainly can't rely on that kind of buzz consistently, just like we couldn't sustain the aggressive physicality mindset under Shaw, and when we don't have that we keep messing up the basics, not being set up to execute those basic structures anyway, and so trying to pull off unlikely and absurd moves instead which is how things come unstuck. So whilst it was such a poor match that it's hard to take much that's meaningful from it, I do think it's concerning just how poor we actually were for the majority of this match.

I don't think a discussion on this match can be had without mentioning what might be the most inept display of umpiring I've seen in the league. Shot for goal? Deliberate out of bounds. Smother without moving towards the opponent's legs whatsoever? Forceful contact below the knees. Protected area rule? Exists when Collingwood players have a mark/free kick, but not when North players do. Repeated headscratcher calls/non-calls both ways on holding the man and holding the ball. Genuinely had no idea when they would pay something or not, which never indicates great officiating... just adds to yet another frustrating football game to watch.

Skill errors are to blame but why put best umpires on a bottom 4/8 game?
It’s always going to get the dregs, just need to expect to lose the decision and base it on improving skills, teamwork and not standing around when player has the ball
The zurhaars deliberate call was cringeworthy.

fu**en frauds. Wish the AFL had the guts to call them out and stand them down like what happened in the NRL last night. Even if they’re just scape goats - let them be effing accountable for the horse sh*t they dish up.

The silent media whores are just as complicit.

Didn’t like our forward structure tonight when it was 2 kicks away. We conceded position too easily.

By the time it is one kick away the boys go to work and we are behind the eight ball and out of position.

The umpiring and the very slippery ground did us no favours tonight. It caused Bonar to slip and injure his ankle for a start. Not to mention the number of times our players slipped over just due to the state of the ground and had they kept their feet we woiuld have been away.

even the Pies supporters around me said we should go home after that call.

What about Jack getting kicked in the head?!

Darcy Moore had 19 marks.

1 contested.

How much longer can we afford to play without a CHF?

He picked us off all day long and even with the umpires, they lose without him.

We kicked it to him most of the night. So it was more about poor decision making than anything

Here's the zinger...........people bitch because we don't have crumbers kicking goals!!!!! :D

Crumbing WHAT?!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just checking if it’s a full moon.
Aaron Hall, Tommy Campbell and Menadue all churning out fantastic games.
Cam missing from 10 out, Cam kicking goals from 50 out. Mahoney kicking dead straight from 45 out.

God they are trying their guts out. Bit of stage fright at key moments cost them a win tonight. We need another key fwd and small fwd desperately. I was thinking the entire game how J Waite and LT would have feasted against this rabble.
Lazaro back with the flight and kicking a key goal all up into every Tom Powell touch was enough for me.

Last edited:
Watched it on tv, so this may be unfair but for the combination of the two teams and the umpiring that was the worst game I have ever seen.

In between the horrendous errors thee were some things I enjoyed - Powell every time, like a younger fitter Cunners, I am so confident he will make a good decision and execute it well, Thomas dashing out of the middle, marking and kicking truly, Campbell’s game, almost everything McKay did, Jack’s goals, Zurhaar’s efforts. Actually pretty happy with the effort all round.

Hoped to see a win, didn’t expect to, the game was worse than I expected, the margin was closer and the fight back stronger than I thought I’d see after the second quarter. Moving on.

Darcy Moore had 19 marks.

1 contested.

How much longer can we afford to play without a CHF?

He picked us off all day long and even with the umpires, they lose without him.
How much longer can afford to play without a CHF ?
Ok you want a CHF ? Who is he ? Where is he at present?
How the F#cik can anyone take your comments seriously when Your comments Are coming from a tv , hindsight & your keyboard? You are pathetic

People think I am making this sh*t up it’s there for everyone to see they want us gone crowd more like 35000 or perhaps more . They were just letting people for ages just enter without counting

I was at the game and I cannot believe they are saying only 22,300. Seemed like much more than that. Not sure how it looked on TV.

North crowd was loud too so that’s my positive from this evening’s game!

I also saw Eugene and David King at the game cheering for North which was nice to see.

What about Jack getting kicked in the head?!

Straight up egregious, I went off at the tv, wife was ready to give me a rocket then I showed her the replay and she couldn’t believe it

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back