Autopsy Round 8 North Melbourne vs Collingwood

Somebody may have mentioned this already. The best thing about today was that we had 16 marks inside 50! Our previous best was 10. Geelong are the only team so far this round to take more (20) and they scored big. Our inability to kick the distance is something that’s a real worry. With 16 marks inside 50, we should have easily cracked 100 points.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

FlyHigh18

Arden St Parking Inspector
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
100% they weren’t even scanning tickets at Gate 7 where I and 4 of my mates walked in , they just looked at our phones and waved us through.
Same, just looked at the phone and we went in, no scan.

had a good laugh when I saw 22k on the screen. Easy 30k

chubbspeterson

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wtf was going on with that surface today, did they turn that shiz into an ice skating rink? Many players slipping all over the joint, in the centre bounce ffs.
Lost it at Margetts, he is awful. Umpire Stevic even told Stevo "that looked like a tough call... time to move on" lol.
First half it looked like we were playing with the weight of a team expecting to win the game.
Second half was better but let down with poor decisions/skill execution.
Turner tries his guts out but his risky kicks in the corridor, at the wrong times, are consistently dumb but he's not alone on that front.
Powell, McKay and TT were highlights today. Curtis and Mahony are building slowly.
Zurhaar is an enigma, low on confidence, made some strange decisions and yet could've kicked 5 goals. Hafl time I'd have said VFL for him.
Feel like the forward line needs Garner to help Larkey give a contest and so Zurhaar can stick to crumbing front and center.
Enjoy the ride.

barnrokn

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2017
Straightouttanthmelb
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
No inner scrote,
But I’d question his intelligence if he came to a team that might not win a game this year..
1620505518700.gif

They weren’t scanning people in at gate 5 for an hour after gates opened. System was down apparently, just looked at our phone and sent us through. Much more then the reported figure there today.

Club sent a message updating people

They weren’t scanning people in at gate 5 for an hour after gates opened. System was down apparently, just looked at our phone and sent us through. Much more then the reported figure there today.
100% they weren’t even scanning tickets at Gate 7 where I and 4 of my mates walked in , they just looked at our phones and waved us through.
Ditto Gate 3. When they finally opened at about 3.40, everyone ploughed on through like the Boxing Day sales. Absolute sh*tshow.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well I was on level 2 and it sure as sh*t wasn’t empty
We look to the 45 forward first. When no one is running it's not an option.

When someone is running and we f*** it up its a disaster. Then we stop looking for it.
Aaron Hall is licensed for such a kick. Something has changed with Hallu. His kicking is beautiful at the moment. I’d instructing him to get in behind every switch of play. Quarterback Hall

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Certainly not a textbook free. The rule - Law 18.7.2(b) - concerns "making forceful contact below the knees". In what sense does Ziebell coming in from the side aiming to smother but ending up on top of the ball shortly before Cameron's boot arrives constitute either Ziebell "making" the contact (when he was there first) or doing so "forcefully" (when his motion wasn't towards Cameron's legs, nor was he even really in motion by the time Cameron actually got there)? The broader rule is so ludicrously flexible that the umpiring department could easily mount a defence of this or any similarly poor decision (it just has to be "rough conduct... which in the circumstances is unreasonable"), but the specific 'contact below the knees' rule is demonstrably not applicable here, and it showed exactly the same lack of awareness as the Zurhaar deliberate call to pay this one against Ziebell.

When McKay makes a rare but significant error, and the captain covers him by playing the situation ideally but gets incorrectly penalised for it at the cost of a goal, I would say that's plenty of cause for complaint.
Especially when (can’t remember which players were involved) it was on the coaches box wing where Wobbles players dives on ball, north player goes over the top and gets pinned head high contact? The ball shoots down the field for a goal. We were flat out robbed yesterday. Im filthy, so filthy I want to throw a brick through the front glass doors at AFL house

domiroo

It’s a big kick it’s long kick it’s a goal .....
Dec 26, 2007
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Catanzaro / Manchester City
The game of AFL is in complete despair right now. What I witnessed this late arvo was a complete disgrace.
It’s lucky every time north went into their forward 50 and it went out of bounds they didn’t get done for deliberate out of bounds . That umpire Margets need to hand over his whistle.

Im filthy, so filthy I want to throw a brick through the front glass doors at AFL house
The way they're travelling at the moment, you'll probably need to go online a few days in advance, register your brick's member ID, stand in a queue for half an hour and when you get to the front, be informed that you're at the wrong door and need to go around the other side.

I've been following the VFL/AFL for nigh on five decades and I've never seen the game in such a bad state. It's seems the more money they make, the more incompetent and detached from reality they become.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Here is my write up of the game for the footyalmanac. Its not meant as an analysis of the game just my thoughts of the day.

I’m a bit odd, and so you would appear if you were examined too closely. I don’t envy these wonderful young men who we spend our weekends wondering why they played on or went short or etc. etc.. Can anyone reading actually claim that they would like the scrutiny that an AFL footballer receives today when they were twenty two? Now one of the odd things I do is take out memberships of two AFL clubs and being a North member meant on Saturday I left my conference at Jeff’s Shed and fronted up to Marvel to watch the North Collingwood game.

I love going to sport. I am a North Member because when I was a student living in North Melbourne a kindly bloke used to let me into Arden Street games just after half time. I played for the Reds (Uni Reds) a bit, but watching the North sides of the Seventies, for free, was a blast. Why memorize the 15 branches of the maxillary artery when you could watch Keith Grieg run down the wing at Arden Street. One of my son’s shares the same genetic abnormality of loving live sport and so we used to be members of the Brisbane and North Cheer squads’ simultaneously.

But the footy is not the same.

When you go to any sport nowadays you are assaulted, and insulted, by noise. The failure to appreciate silence is creeping into all life today. My wife and I have breakie with a Rotary mate of ours, most Thursdays. He is a breakfast junkie and goes out for breakfast every morning and so we have the Steven Downes or James Haliday of breakfasts as our guide. I eat a simple tea, toast and raspberry jam but he and my wife are more adventurous. What gets on my goat is the loud music the cafes all play.

I ask you; Do you want to eat your eggs to Skyhooks?

Its even worse at the Adelaide Test match. I go every year and all the regulars catch up at the same spot in the members stand and chat away happily until that appalling James Sherry starts up and destroys the lovely atmosphere of the Adelaide CRICKET Ground.

We get this before every AFL game now. It reached a farcical point before one North game when the commentator mispronounced many of the North players names. This amused me greatly but the North supporters online were quite pis..d off. North supporters will need to develop a sense of the ridiculous to get them through the next two years. “Make some noise”, the imbecile intones incessantly.

But eventually the umps bounce the ball and the noise stops.

North have a list comparable to the Fitzroy list of ’96 so I thought a win unlikely but I wanted to see some evidence that some of the young blokes have a future. Were Collingwood the Freo of ’96?

Collingwood won comfortably in the end but there was plenty of interest in the match. Jordan De Goey was by far the most important player on the ground. It took North until some time in the third quarter to catch up with his score and here is where I have to start to get critical. Everyone before the game thought De Goey was the Collingwood trump card The North captain, Zeibel, picked him up after half time, and quietened him somewhat, but the horse had bolted. McKay, as North’s premier defender should have stood beside him from the start. I think Noble picked the wrong horse, was too slow to make a change and then made the wrong one.

North have two players, Zurharr and LDU (I call him UDL) who have some talent. UDL sometimes carves his way through traffic like the young Voss. Zurharr takes pack species but neither player can be trusted to kick over the man on the mark. They are both wonderfully appalling and may not get a game in the better North teams on the way. North supporters need to adopt a Zen pose and appreciate that not all footballers can be Boomers, who never looked out of his depth.

Hall had another great game and I wonder if he would do well under the Martin Pike contract term. Brissie used to give Pike only one year contracts so he had to keep to the straight and narrow. Hall should be an elite AFL player but has wasted his talent to this stage of his career but gee he looked elite today.

There were some swings in the game. Collingwood got out to a five goal lead at half time, which North reeled in during the third quarter. Collingwood came again, established a buffer, but the young North side never gave up. And closed the gap by the end.

Young Noble, son of the North’s coach, should have received more attention as he showed the North team what one touch footy is all about. Imagine his Dad saying to a North player,”Go out and stand on that Noble’s foot. Get his face and make his night a misery”.

I do not like the amount of vitriol that comes Nathan Buckley’s way. Most of it is envy of someone who is better than they. I have spoken to team mates of his from his young days and he wasn’t the most likeable bloke back then, but the brains of young men have a far way to go before they mature. I bumped into Bucks at a cricket match a few years ago when I was the umpire of the game. He was playing a game in his son’s team, enjoying the game and his presence was enjoyed by all present. I did give him not out LBW just before a break and mentioned to Bucks at the break that many of my mates would not have been so impartial and I may experience some heat from my mates if the incident leaked out.

Young Daicos played well but I am hopelessly biased. His parents are the original glamour couple but are so unassuming, natural and good people. Young Josh is the sort of young fellow any man would be proud of so how could he not figure in the Derrinalphil votes

Derrinalphil Votes

3 De Goey

2 Hall

1 Daicos

NORTH MELBOURNE 2.2 3.6 8.7 11.10 (76)
COLLINGWOOD 3.2 8.6 12.10 14.10 (94)

GOALS
North Melbourne:
Stephenson 2, Thomas 2, Mahony 2, Zurhaar 2, Campbell, Lazzaro, Turner
Collingwood: De Goey 6, Cameron 3, Pendlebury 2, Mihocek 2, Hoskin-Elliott
Im cutting LDU a little bit of slack with his old mans rapid health deterioration and recent passing. He gets a break from me for a while. This has most definitely contributed to his up n down form.

Zurhaar on the other hand needs a kick up the arse. How dare he go for a stoppage inside forward 50!

I was first in line to throw him out of the club in 19/20.. however I agree completely. Im wrong and he deserves another contract

His role (at our club) has been changed to suit his skillset and where we are.

Brad was convinced he could become the pacy goal kicking attackive mid we need and it didn't work.

Noble using his pace, evasion and excellent kicking from the other end of the ground, and it is working very well.

Back