Autopsy Round 8 North Melbourne vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Having to play an injured Bonar on JDG, due to Corr, McDonald & Tarrant being out, pretty much sums up our season.

In positive news, both Horne & Edwards had good games on the weekend.
We need to secure Edwards. He needs to be confident of having a contract for 3 years. Because the way the mid season s**t works is he short changes himself. Back him in and give him 3

I was listening to 774 and the clowns commentating were saying that Bonar was a midfielder and completely out of his depth on JDG. Morons had no idea the work he'd done in defence and the fact he copped the mother of all corkies from Ziebell six days earlier.
They aren’t wrong, though. On his day, De Goey is one of the league‘s most damaging forwards, and we put against him one and then another defender who are only a few games into learning how to do that role. McKay and Walker have more experience, and even though both are too tall and probably not agile enough to stick with De Goey, I was surprised neither was given any time on him as the game rolled on - it’s not like Collingwood has great forward riches otherwise.

The main point of course is that our options due to injury are so limited, and commentators don’t seem able to remember that. I was gobsmacked (not really) that the only comment related to injuries on the tv footage yesterday was about Collingwood’s outs.

Jack Mahoney - Always plays with 100% effort, but skills and decisions are shocking, and he can can’t kick more than 40 meters. Hopefully he can fix his sh*t, because the effort is definitely there.

Stephenson - Clean, quick, skillful and not as much of a pussy as collingwood supporters claimed he was.

Taylor - Hard to put a proper read on him. Does decent things, but seems he’s out of position a lot of the time. He’s been below average but there’s definitely something to work on.

Ziebell = Macmillan

LDU - Soft. Consistently gets out-positioned at stoppages/center bounces and is super hesitant to dig his body in to win contested ball. He’s a big boy but needs to inject some Anderson/Zurhaar into his game. Also lacks defensive running intent. I understand he has high pressure act numbers, but probably because his man is always first to the ball. Really want to see him use his acceleration during defensive chasing/transitioning.

Simpkin - Can win the ball, but appears to exert so much energy and determination in doing so, that he sacrifices composure and cleanliness disposing of the football. Tries to do too much. Basically cringe whenever he has his hands on the ball, because you really don’t know what you’re gonna get. Worried LDU is going down the same path. Will maintain that Simpkin would be a weapon as a permanent forward, and won’t ever be a dominant match winning mid.

Bonar - had an off game, but see a lot of strengths in his defensive game. Has a few things to work on, but looks a lock in our defense for years to come.

Young - Absolute mixed bag of allens lollies. Can do nice things and then make horrendous mistakes. Think he will tidy up with more experience, but hard to judge.

Walker - VFL

Larkey - Someone has to be putting lubricant in his hand sanitizer bottle. This man can not stick a mark. Also he’s either slow or isn’t using his body before leading up. His man is almost always hot on his tail. ******* rarity to see him create space.

Mckay - Absolute beast. Stoked we have a Taz replacement. Barely puts a foot wrong and has still only played fu** all games.

Powell - More composure than any 18 year old I’ve ever seen. His hands are godlike and he is literally surpassing Simpkin and LDU. Will be dominating games in a few years, and will probably be our best player.

Thomas - Generally lazy, but when he flicks the switch, he can be game changing. Thought he sparked our momentum at the start of the third last night. If he can play with intent every week then he will be huge for us. Like him in the midfield, but just needs that intent.

Turner - another who cracks in but is below average. Seems we play him for tagging/pest reasons. Probably a liability in the middle. Not sure where his future lies. Really disappointed in how his career has progressed from seeing so much potential as a young kid playing in our finals teams.

Phillips - haven’t seen enough

Lazzaro - A lot of shinboner in him. Really wants to win. Is quick and seems to have decent skills. Should find more of the pill in the coming seasons and will be an asset to us IMO. Really liked him taking that mark against the flight with Larkey coming the other way.

Zurhaar - NRL player. Big hits but sh*t skills. Praying he can find confidence and start finishing cleanly. Very worrying signs. Gets involved a fair bit. Just desperately needs to find composure and better execution.
Thomas is not lazy, he has a laconic style but he is anything but lazy. That critique is lazy.

What a truly bizarre analogy.

Are you referring to the blokes who are probably 1st & 2nd in the Syd Barker?
There is a different degree of optimizem all together when Hall and Ziebell play well vs say LDU and Simpkin. We all want our players to perform from the youngsters to the veterans but when you are in the dire position we are in at the moment you would rather see a bright future.

In that sense thank god for Powell...

Here is what I think a simultaneous free kick refers to historically - as I'm sure you remember from the old days, when there was just one umpire on the field, that umpire would often call for a ball up in a line ball situation. For instance, if a player is tackled, completely drops the ball and is dragged to ground. Was that holding the ball (incorrect disposal) or holding the man? The old umpires would just run in and bounce it rather than let one team or the other take advantage of the loose ball. And ever since they stopped doing that, teams have taken advantage if they are in a two-on-one situation of drawing a tackle and letting the ball spill so the second player can run off with the ball as the tackler is taken out of the play.
Its holding or dropping the ball. That should result in a free and time on until the kick is ready to be taken so the so called "holding the man" doesn't happen during play.

You can't ignore a free on the chance another might be payed in the next second, or minute, or half an hour, of game play.

The free gets paid and everything that happens afterward isn't part of play cos play is sposed to have stopped when the dropping/incorrect disposal free is paid. (Unless its obviously dodgy like throwing the player to the ground unnecessarily.)

There is a different degree of optimizem all together when Hall and Ziebell play well vs say LDU and Simpkin. We all want our players to perform from the youngsters to the veterans but when you are in the dire position we are in at the moment you would rather see a bright future.

In that sense thank god for Powell...

Look mate, if all you have going for you is "hope", for what "might" happen in 6 years time, then who am I to stand in your way?

Enjoy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What Rick said about LDU this week is about as perfect a summation as you can get.

I actually don’t get the complaints about LDU, he’s an explosive player who takes risks in traffic to break open the game.

As he learns he’ll get caught less but still keep his dangerous side.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Oldies like Hall and Campbell and honest battlers like Mahone and Menadue being our 'best' is quite a sad state of affairs. All we need is Turner and Walker to be included and wow - might be the worst batch of 'best players' any club has ever had in AFL history.
Exactly, we need our youngsters 23 and under being our best
Journeyman and limited seniors filling the best each week is not taking us anywhere
I think we all agree that Powell will be a star, but this club desperately needs 2 or all of Simpkin, Thomas or LDU to become A graders. More hope than conviction at this stage that it will happen

Journeyman and limited seniors filling the best each week is not taking us anywhere
I think we all agree that Powell will be a star, but this club desperately needs 2 or all of Simpkin, Thomas or LDU to become A graders. More hope than conviction at this stage that it will happen
I think you might be putting the cart before the horse a bit. There are not many sides where the inexperienced players are consistently getting in the bests. That's the whole point in having more senior players supporting them in their development. And guess what when they begin dominating the bests there will be new young players learning under them.

Not just this year, but over the last couple of seasons, we’ve seen young players perform really well but not week after week. They have all shown good signs, but not continuity. Hope it comes, and we would all certainly hope they don’t get thrown in and out for preventable injuries.

It’s not a worry if one week, every now and again, our best players aren’t the ones with the most promise for the future - it doesn’t happen every game, and honestly it’s good to see every single player show what they are capable of.

Not just this year, but over the last couple of seasons, we’ve seen young players perform really well but not week after week. They have all shown good signs, but not continuity. Hope it comes, and we would all certainly hope they don’t get thrown in and out for preventable injuries.

It’s not a worry if one week, every now and again, our best players aren’t the ones with the most promise for the future - it doesn’t happen every game, and honestly it’s good to see every single player show what they are capable of.

Young players take years of being in an AFL system to show consistency. Expecting it in the short term is ridiculous.

Not only Jy/TT and LDU - we need Bailey and Larkey to be A graders and then at least one of Zurhaar/Taylor/Comben to come on as solid B with Kyron as well.

What's been most disappointing (other being uncompetitive in our first 8 games) is that development of this collective group has not progressed at the pace we would have liked this time last year. Each of them has their own individual circumstances/reasons but as a group their development has stalled somewhat.

That said we have seen Bonar/Stevo/Young/Powell/McKay perform well above expectations so that is an offset to some degree.

We are a long way off even the middle teams at the moment. If we are going to make any headway in 2023 onward then we need the bulk of our youngsters to keep developing. Stability in coaching/training will help and I think there is still conviction that these guys will make it as a group but its a tough business and nothing is guaranteed.

Not only Jy/TT and LDU - we need Bailey and Larkey to be A graders and then at least one of Zurhaar/Taylor/Comben to come on as solid B with Kyron as well.

What's been most disappointing (other being uncompetitive in our first 8 games) is that development of this collective group has not progressed at the pace we would have liked this time last year. Each of them has their own individual circumstances/reasons but as a group their development has stalled somewhat.

That said we have seen Bonar/Stevo/Young/Powell/McKay perform well above expectations so that is an offset to some degree.

We are a long way off even the middle teams at the moment. If we are going to make any headway in 2023 onward then we need the bulk of our youngsters to keep developing. Stability in coaching/training will help and I think there is still conviction that these guys will make it as a group but its a tough business and nothing is guaranteed.

Development.
Development.
Development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back