Autopsy Round 8 North Melbourne vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny how differently Noble saw the Jack Ziebell free kick was compared to Nick too. Pretty sure both he and Dunstall said it was there and Collingwoods free - yet Nobel is going to call the Umpires on Monday
They both went out of their way to justify every 50/50 or 90/10 free kick.

Snout meet trough

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thomas is not lazy, he has a laconic style but he is anything but lazy. That critique is lazy.

He has something else that's hard-wired into the Australian workdview to come across as "lazy".

He has something else that's hard-wired into the Australian workdview to come across as "lazy".
Pull your socks up
That's one long bow to draw again.
Whilst I don't agree TT is lazy at all, it's not right that you pull this racist card, because a poster got his opinion of a player wrong

On Pixel 4 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pull your socks up
Whilst I don't agree TT is lazy at all, it's not right that you pull this racist card, because a poster got his opinion of a player wrong

I use to think that Daniel Wells was lazy, watch him on TV he never seemed to get out of second gear.
It wasn't until I saw him play live I realized that he was running real fast and he had such a smooth running action it almost appeared effortless.

I feel TT will really start to hit his full potential next season, he will have 50 games under his belt and enough preseasons to have built his strength and tank.

BigRed

Not only Jy/TT and LDU - we need Bailey and Larkey to be A graders and then at least one of Zurhaar/Taylor/Comben to come on as solid B with Kyron as well.

What's been most disappointing (other being uncompetitive in our first 8 games) is that development of this collective group has not progressed at the pace we would have liked this time last year. Each of them has their own individual circumstances/reasons but as a group their development has stalled somewhat.

That said we have seen Bonar/Stevo/Young/Powell/McKay perform well above expectations so that is an offset to some degree.

We are a long way off even the middle teams at the moment. If we are going to make any headway in 2023 onward then we need the bulk of our youngsters to keep developing. Stability in coaching/training will help and I think there is still conviction that these guys will make it as a group but its a tough business and nothing is guaranteed.

The big positive for me is that they've been instructed to play football which is change from some of the rebuilds we've seen in the past where they keep lots of players behind the ball etc to keep the score manageable

I think Simkin and LDU have been guilty of trying too hard to take the game on as part of that game plan . With the lack of cattle available who can play attacking football they look to me like they are putting it on their own shoulders to do it, but aren't choosing the right moments to do it.
I think when a few more senior bodies get back out there, they'll come right

Anyway I saw enough from Zuurhar, LDU and Simkin at the weekend to suggest they aren't that far off from coming back into form . Zurhaar in particular seems to have rediscovered his ability to run through people both in attack and defensively. Just a bit more finesse from him would be good !

I use to think that Daniel Wells was lazy, watch him on TV he never seemed to get out of second gear.
It wasn't until I saw him play live I realized that he was running real fast and he had such a smooth running action it almost appeared effortless.

I feel TT will really start to hit his full potential next season, he will have 50 games under his belt and enough preseasons to have built his strength and tank.

BigRed

yep
T T reminds me of Michael Holding. Just a beautiful languid approach to the bowling crease

The game plan seems to developing nicely and better efforts from a few players like Zurhaar, McKay and Campbell.
Some of the unforced errors are hard to swallow particularly from LDU, Simpkin and Turner, who should at least be able to hit a target by foot.
Real concerns with Larkey who physically doesn't appear ready for senior football, slow, weak and no tank.
It's clear from the injury list we would be a far better team.
There are at least 6 senior players who would be in the first 18 currently injured and another 2 just coming back from injury.

Corr, McDonald, Anderson, Polec, Tarrant, Bonar, and Dumont and Garner.

Add Corr, McDonald and Tarrant to the backline and we will start willing games.
Add Polec, Dumont and Garner to the middle and we will start winning games.
We need a few more senior heads to take the pressure off the young guys and add on field leadership.

Collingwood with a much better on field list only managed a 3 goal win which should be ringing alarm bells for them, considering the number of goals that were gifted to them via very poor skill errors on our behalf or umpiring which was the worst performance I've seen in a number of years.

I think the wins aren't too far away, just need to get some players on the park.

First chance today to catch up with my significant other who was at the game and said a couple of things I hadon’t seen from the tv coverage and haven’t heard from anyone here yet. First, she thought our #44 was among our best (no bias, has zero interest in any non-Collingwood players). Second, she suspected it was an instruction because she noticed that every chance they got, the Pies players were getting to Stephenson, not to rough him up, but to engage him in friendly conversation - to the extent that she said she’d have pulled one of her junior players off the ground for letting themselves get distracted so often.

One of those times was when the infamous deliberate call came - Stevo and Chris Mayne were chatting away waiting for the throw in. Then Mayne almost fell over he was laughing so hard after the umpire’s ridiculous call.

Credit where it's due, didn't hear a single boo for Stephenson.

I thought I did on his first touch but not too much after that

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The game plan seems to developing nicely and better efforts from a few players like Zurhaar, McKay and Campbell.
Some of the unforced errors are hard to swallow particularly from LDU, Simpkin and Turner, who should at least be able to hit a target by foot.
Real concerns with Larkey who physically doesn't appear ready for senior football, slow, weak and no tank.
It's clear from the injury list we would be a far better team.
There are at least 6 senior players who would be in the first 18 currently injured and another 2 just coming back from injury.

Corr, McDonald, Anderson, Polec, Tarrant, Bonar, and Dumont and Garner.

Add Corr, McDonald and Tarrant to the backline and we will start willing games.
Add Polec, Dumont and Garner to the middle and we will start winning games.
We need a few more senior heads to take the pressure off the young guys and add on field leadership.

Collingwood with a much better on field list only managed a 3 goal win which should be ringing alarm bells for them, considering the number of goals that were gifted to them via very poor skill errors on our behalf or umpiring which was the worst performance I've seen in a number of years.

I think the wins aren't too far away, just need to get some players on the park.

I think that a few of the posters here need to let go of this idea that Garner is a walk-up start to our best 22. He has now had 6 weeks of VFL football and not even been named as an emergency. It is starting to feel like his papers have been stamped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They aren’t wrong, though. On his day, De Goey is one of the league‘s most damaging forwards, and we put against him one and then another defender who are only a few games into learning how to do that role. McKay and Walker have more experience, and even though both are too tall and probably not agile enough to stick with De Goey, I was surprised neither was given any time on him as the game rolled on - it’s not like Collingwood has great forward riches otherwise.

The main point of course is that our options due to injury are so limited, and commentators don’t seem able to remember that. I was gobsmacked (not really) that the only comment related to injuries on the tv footage yesterday was about Collingwood’s outs.

He seems to be much bigger than he was last year - he's a monster now

I thought I did on his first touch but not too much after that

That was a free kick in the goal square wasn't it? Pretty standard to boo for that especially early in the game, and it wasn't loud.

That was a free kick in the goal square wasn't it? Pretty standard to boo for that especially early in the game, and it wasn't loud.

Possibly, you may be right

Pull your socks up

I'm not talking about an individual posters. There's a very common view here that he's lazy.

I do love the magic world you appear to live in where there's no racism btw.

Shame Tarryn doesn't live in it hey

I'm not talking about an individual posters. There's a very common view here that he's lazy.

I do love the magic world you appear to live in where there's no racism btw.

Shame Tarryn doesn't live in it hey
How you get CT intermangled in an autopsy thread is bamboozling

Last edited:
I think that a few of the posters here need to let go of this idea that Garner is a walk-up start to our best 22. He has now had 6 weeks of VFL football and not even been named as an emergency. It is starting to feel like his papers have been stamped.
If that true then its a great pity as I think garner has the skill to play AFL football.

Oh please. Hansen had the same laconic style and coped it for years. Until they started showing distance covered ect and everyone soon realized he was working his butt off.

Any other white players? Because as discussed on this thread Wells used to get the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back