Preview Round 8: Showdown 46 (Port vs Crows); Sat 11th May, 7.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Eddie has always struggled with Clarko's in your face, elbow in the comics unsociable stuff, he doesn't like any form of close attention, but as has been pointed out we don't have any one on our list with enough mongrel and concentration to carry out that role for 4 qtrs, and he eventually destroys seagulls like DBJ to the tune of at least 3 or 4 goals.

Butters is that small mongrel type but not sure how he’d go in defence.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So where do our defenders go?

Burton - Walker
Dougal - Himmelberg
Clurey - Lynch
Broadbent - Murphy?

I don't like DBJ on Betts either and I think Broadbent will get exposed for pace against a small. Maybe strength too if Greenwood floats forward.

Eddie's almost impossible to defend because he gets away with so many holds and pushes that normal players don't get away with. You've basically got to hope that the ball doesn't come near him much or that when it does he himself finds a way to stuff it up.

Eddie's almost impossible to defend because he gets away with so many holds and pushes that normal players don't get away with. You've basically got to hope that the ball doesn't come near him much or that when it does he himself finds a way to stuff it up.

..... and flops more than Chad and Robbie ever did....... combined.

It's ridiculous what he's allowed to get away with in the name of 'entertainment'.

not to mention the ridiculous celebrations he does with ZERO comment.

So where do our defenders go?

Burton - Walker
Dougal - Himmelberg
Clurey - Lynch
Broadbent - Murphy?

I don't like DBJ on Betts either and I think Broadbent will get exposed for pace against a small. Maybe strength too if Greenwood floats forward.
I'd swap Doogs and Clurey. Not sure Clurey could go with Lynch as he will work up the ground alot. Clurey will start on Walker or Himmelberg and Burton the other

Also some indigenous players including Buddy and old mate Silk wore #67 a couple of years ago to commemorate 50 years since the 1967 referendum.

In any event Boaky is only the acting captain so no #1 for him.
Acting captain you say.... hmmmm... let's put #16 Guernsey on him and go all the way!

Last edited:
Does the VC even traditionally wear the 1 when they are acting captain?

This sounds like an incredibly bad idea to me, Travis isn’t the captain him wearing the number one would be a huge slap in the face to his team mates, a very public and deliberate one.

I get you are pissed off with Jonas and Wines as co-captains, but it’s not like we are going to revoke their captaincy, delist them and have them tarred and feather’d out of Adelaide. The club should be helping them, not giving them the finger.

This is the kind of thinking that gave us co-captains in the first place.

but it’s not like we are going to revoke their captaincy, delist them and have them tarred and feather’d out of Adelaide.

Nice overstatement, by the way.

We don’t play a system that relies on match-ups. Whoever is closest to Betts will pick him up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd swap Doogs and Clurey. Not sure Clurey could go with Lynch as he will work up the ground alot. Clurey will start on Walker or Himmelberg and Burton the other

Tom Clurey 193 cms
Dougal Howard 199 cms
Elliot Himmelberg 198cms

That's why I went with Dougs

Camries can smell blood
Why I hate Showdowns. A majority of AO members are Adelaide fans and there's too many people I see at our home games in Port gear who rock up tot he Showdown in Crows merchandise. These latter are the worst IMO. Between these two groups our Showdowns are generally something like a 70/30 split at best, whilst their's are 80/20 or 85/15. Not that I've been to an Adelaide Home Showdown since prior to moving to Melbourne in 2000. Wouldn't go to one these days if I was given the tickets for free.

It won't get near. Lots of disaffected Port fans won't turn up and haven't handed over their tickets to the club or others. 48k my early guess.
sell out and lock out are two different things.

if there is no dodgy counting by the SMA and no rain, I reckon 50k will rock up.

Why I hate Showdowns. A majority of AO members are Adelaide fans and there's too many people I see at our home games in Port gear who rock up tot he Showdown in Crows merchandise. These latter are the worst IMO. Between these two groups our Showdowns are generally something like a 70/30 split at best, whilst their's are 80/20 or 85/15. Not that I've been to an Adelaide Home Showdown since prior to moving to Melbourne in 2000. Wouldn't go to one these days if I was given the tickets for free.
If I saw a "Port" regular rock up to the Showdown in Crows gear I'd probably flip out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back