Preview Round 8: Showdown 46 (Port vs Crows); Sat 11th May, 7.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

You didn’t exactly answer my first question. Has the acting captain ever worn the number 1 in the past? Didn’t Tredrea wear 16 in our premiership year?

Why do I need to? It's irrelevant to what I proposed.
I'm fully aware there is no precedent. That's why I think it should be done.

The fact that there is no precedent is what would make it such a powerful statement and allow it to be a one off.
It's a Showdown, we're 7 players down, returning club-man after 2 years out, Boak stepping into captaincy role in the midst of his best ever form...

Just make it happen.

If Ollie Jonas get their co-noses out of joint, I couldn't care less.
No true captain of Port Adelaide would be against something that pushes us 1% towards a victory.

Just.
Do.
It.

Is this in the same alternative universe in which we play a marking forward who can kick 5?
Haha I should have written I think 50k will turn up and who knows what figure the SMA will post up.

We'll win this. I'm expecting this to be like the West Coast game. Full on pressure from our players, all game. Just relentless, from the opening bounce to the final siren.

Rozee, Motlop, Duursma, Amon, Johnson, Sam Gray and Farrell to be up the ass of the Adelaide defence from the get go. There's no way that Motlop, Farrell and Johnson are going to be anything other than fired up for this game.

Drew to relish getting back in the inside and win the Rising Star nomination for the round. This isn't the Collingwood midfield with Pendlebury, Treloar, Sidebottom and Beams. This is the Adelaide midfield with Matt Crouch, Brad Crouch, Sloane and Greenwood.

Lycett and Ryder to destroy O'Brien and Himmelberg.

The way that Fremantle were pretty easily able to handball their way through Adelaide gave me some hope for this game, although I suspect Adelaide’s pressure will improve due to the showdown factor.

I have to admit I really just have no idea how this one will go down. Hoping Willem has a massive game though, and Cobra who’s cool head we really have missed at times.

We don’t play a system that relies on match-ups. Whoever is closest to Betts will pick him up.

I'm glad someone else has noticed this about our defence this year. They even say in the AFL DBJ article that Port "While the Power have employed a zone defence this year and don't focus on one-on-one match-ups, Byrne-Jones expects he'll spend at least part of Saturday night's encounter with Betts as his direct opponent."
I actually think this has allowed us to play a much more aggressive attacking game style this year. Run from defence and back yourself. if we end up relying on one on one match ups again we will revert to last years plodding game style.

The way that Fremantle were pretty easily able to handball their way through Adelaide gave me some hope for this game, although I suspect Adelaide’s pressure will improve due to the showdown factor.

I have to admit I really just have no idea how this one will go down. Hoping Willem has a massive game though, and Cobra who’s cool head we really have missed at times.

yeah they really handballed their way to 3 goals for the game or whatever it was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's like Port 2018 attempting to strangle a side, rather than score. It only takes a short period of opposition dominance to turn a 30-30 score line into 30-60. We saw this last week with Freo against them. We haven't played a 4 quarter game this year (even the West Coast game we were ahead further at half time then the end), that this tactic requires against a semi-decent opponent.

I don't know what our game plan is meant to be, but slowing it down to a static crawl (something we've done against Adelaide all too often under Ken), is a short road to disaster. I don't like the side picked, but if they are relentlessly attacking they're a chance. Relentlessly attacking and Ken is so half a decade ago though.

That's like Port 2018 attempting to strangle a side, rather than score. It only takes a short period of opposition dominance to turn a 30-30 score line into 30-60. We saw this last week with Freo against them. We haven't played a 4 quarter game this year (even the West Coast game we were ahead further at half time then the end), that this tactic requires against a semi-decent opponent.

I don't know what our game plan is meant to be, but slowing it down to a static crawl (something we've done against Adelaide all too often under Ken), is a short road to disaster. I don't like the side picked, but if they are relentlessly attacking they're a chance. Relentlessly attacking and Ken is so half a decade ago though.
I think we will play a lot faster than Fremantle did.

I agree the way we’ve gone smaller and faster up forward is a concerning sign that we might revert to our prior gameplan, but I’m thoroughly hoping we don’t.

Why I hate Showdowns. A majority of AO members are Adelaide fans and there's too many people I see at our home games in Port gear who rock up tot he Showdown in Crows merchandise. These latter are the worst IMO. Between these two groups our Showdowns are generally something like a 70/30 split at best, whilst their's are 80/20 or 85/15. Not that I've been to an Adelaide Home Showdown since prior to moving to Melbourne in 2000. Wouldn't go to one these days if I was given the tickets for free.

Who the hell does that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back