Review Round 8: Sydney Swans vs Hawthorn Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might be in the minority here but maybe we have to look at our own backyard first, can't call out other clubs for booing when Swans supporters (including me) did it loud and clear for Hirdy in Round 1. I have been disgusted by the behaviour of a number of Hawks supporters, was at 2013 and 2014 finals at MCG when disgusting things were said about Swans players but I think we need to go all New Testament and turn the other cheek. More often than not you can change the actors in the scenes and realise we are all the same. Call it the passion of football or whatever you want, there are one-eyed supporters everywhere and they get up everyone's goat, it's just the way it is.

The only thing I hope for is for the boys to let their footy do the talking and silence the crowds THAT way. Maybe that is why the win over the weekend was so sweet.
Were you booing Hird because he was of a certain race? Think not.

Last edited:
Hird got booed by a few people.

It was like 40,000 hawks fans had a meeting to co ordinate booing goodes and got louder and louder

It was beyond a bronx cheer or the old boo Ya mug from a minority, it was like some co ordinated disgusting display

Their coach respected carlton

Lake really respected petries neck
Such a rabble-rouser :p

It was like 40,000 hawks fans had a meeting to co ordinate booing goodes and got louder and louder
It was beyond a bronx cheer or the old boo Ya mug from a minority, it was like some co ordinated disgusting display
People in the media keep demanding they stop and labelling them as racists
They're just making things worse, i think.

Such a rabble-rouser :p

People in the media keep demanding they stop and labelling them as racists

They're just making things worse, i think.

I agree the media make it worse, robbos questioning of guests was cringe worthy

Be good if people just didnt boo full stop, just celebrate their favourites

Just the hive mind mentality really. The booing got louder as people realised others were doing it.

I was in the crowd Saturday night (AFL members, near the fence to Hawthorn reserved seat holders in the southern stand). I was stunned at how they booed Goodes but responded by getting up and cheering whenever he got a possession, I didn't say anything to the Hawks fans around me. I felt at the time that was the best way to respond and I still think so now.

Were you booing Hird because he was of a certain race? Think not.

Nup but in hindsight us booing Hird probably makes Essendon supporters want to boo Goodesy even more, it's just another focal point for people to boo about. I'm not defending the booers by any stretch, it's just that demonising supporters or saying all VIC supporters are racist will alienate moderates and change their perception of us. They will turn around and say "oh look at those entitled whatevers, they think we're all XYZ" and we'll just keep going around in circles and not get any resolution or improve the situation at all. I think how we conduct ourselves and react will go along way in changing things, as upsetting as it might be or satisfying it could be to arc up

The best response we can give is to cheer really loudly when goodes has the ball, to drown out the boos.

Even on Friday night everytime he gets a posse just cheer him.

The best response we can give is to cheer really loudly when goodes has the ball, to drown out the boos.

Even on Friday night everytime he gets a posse just cheer him.

Don't worry the SCG crowd will give him a rousing reception, the crowd at the Geelong game last year was fantastic. Anyway let's have less focus on unpleasant topics. Life's too short to dwell on shitty behaviour by fans at the footy.

1, never booed Hird, was a champion, one of the best but has done wrong big time
2, you've read my posts, and yes I'm new to the board, but wrong is wrong. If you don't stand up your as bad as them.
3, I'm still studying memblings post

If you don't stand up your as bad as them.

disagree personally, I don't know if you can change the idiots who still boo him, you can try, but you might be wasting your time. The important thing is that we continue to support him. I believe that's the best way to combat it in the long run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was in the crowd Saturday night (AFL members, near the fence to Hawthorn reserved seat holders in the southern stand). I was stunned at how they booed Goodes but responded by getting up and cheering whenever he got a possession, I didn't say anything to the Hawks fans around me. I felt at the time that was the best way to respond and I still think so now.
Did the Hawks fa
disagree personally, I don't know if you can change the idiots who still boo him, you can try, but you might be wasting your time. The important thing is that we continue to support him. I believe that's the best way to combat it in the long run.
Glass half full, it can be done, I have to believe otherwise the gains made in the last 30 odd years are wasted if you think like that.

Clearly this has gone past being a review of the Hawks game. If anyone wants to discuss crowd issues feel free to start a thread but this has gone way off topic and as such this thread is now sadly closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back