Status
Not open for further replies.

melbournehammer

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
not enough has been made of:

1. jetta's tackle in the last to run down breust and then his shepherd in the last few minutes where he just knocked some hawker off in their forward fifty. I'm rather pleased I stuck fat with him over the meltdown post gf. and when they tried to get him in the first quarter this time that reaction from our boys sent messages

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
not enough has been made of:

1. jetta's tackle in the last to run down breust and then his shepherd in the last few minutes where he just knocked some hawker off in their forward fifty. I'm rather pleased I stuck fat with him over the meltdown post gf. and when they tried to get him in the first quarter this time that reaction from our boys sent messages
I was really pleased for him. And when Macca went forward Jetta went back, did some great work, that high five with Longmire as he walked in said it all.

Leg End

Club Legend
Apr 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Go and watch Lloyd again.

Ran all over the park to make space and present himself in attack then played a lot of clean up sweeping roles in defence offering himself as an outlet. Won the ball. Roved packs. Put himself in pressure situations to receive and be the outlet and due the quality of the opposition was caught a few times but so was everyone. Made a lot of space with disposals under pressure as well. Kid is a gun. zcannot wait till he grows up.

I thought his game was criminally underated for a 2nd season player.

And Kizza was as well. My god the tackling and pressure he provided for the whole game was immense and yet not too many rated his game. He was like his dad driving in at every opportunity. He and Hanners really made the win a possibility.

When he drove Lewis into the ground in the early part - magnificent.
Lewis couldn't retaliate as normal against our players because they were in front of him.

May 5, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Agree with a lot of comments on his thread, super hard and tough, didn't step back and gave it to the Hawks. Watched the replay again last night; still have one major concern that still has not been corrected since last Sept and that's stoppage and clearance structure, we got absolutely smashed in all but the third and last ten in the last. Joey is the hard ball get king, a gem but the Hawks especially Mitchell stands wide and intercepts on way too many occasions with no hard tag or opponent. Too many in close, need discipline for one or two to stay wide and get the clearance from Joey or Parker. Great win but very lucky to get away with that one, won't happen again later down the track against this mob.

alanlau34

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I think Titus echoes our sentiments of Cyril as well.

http://titusoreily.com/the-monday-knee-jerk-reaction-afl-round-eight/

Hawthorn (69) v Sydney (73)

The Swans were accused of not turning up for last year’s Grand Final but they showed up here when it didn’t matter anywhere near as much.

But still, revenge or similar!

This was an intense match, worthy of two top teams with some of the best talent in the game.

Sydney started out very strong, stunning the Hawks with a six goal blitz but the Swans just failed to land the knock out blow and the Hawks slowly worked back into the game.

It was like Alastair Clarkson did some of that coaching stuff the commentators allude to but don’t actually understand.

It was the defensive work of Cyril Rioli that sparked the Hawks and he was special, exciting, amazing, magic and all those other things people seem to bang on about.

It was great when he took a normal mark on the lead and one of the commentators said ‘no one else in the league could do that.’ I’m not sure what league they were referring to.

The Hawks not only got back in the game but looked like winning it. In the battle of the two expensive free agents, James Frawley took Franklin out of the game in an impressive performance.

When it looked like the Hawks might get over the line, Jarrad McVeigh went forward and booted two goals to get the Swans the lead.

It was still a close run thing though. Luke Breust had a set shot from 40m out, which he surprisingly missed and Rioli fumbled in the dying seconds in the goal square but boy was it an exciting fumble. No one in the league can fumble like he does.

It was a great win for Sydney and for the Hawks it will be a week of practicing their goal kicking

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
lol the comments on that twitter are funny and sad at the same time.

The main board thread on it is hilarious. How what McVeigh did became a king hit I'll never know.

Dwhale44

Cancelled
Feb 13, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Haha been waiting to read this, was at the game Saturday lucky we won but love the passion of our supporters. Buddy will kick about 17 next week

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
On the tv laidler did some real nice work

Shaw made some shocking errors he is lucky shiels couldnt kick straight

But that kick late to set up the goal from shaw was brilliant

As I said other than a few mistakes Shaw was not too bad offensively. It was his defensive efforts that worried me. They always do. He is the most scored against flanker/pocket in our team and would be close to the top of the AFL in that regard. He needs to do a lot of attacking and needs to hurt them on the way back with very efficient disposal. Unfortunately his disposal of late has not been particularly good. He also has issues when under pressure, his decision making is terrible. In all he wasn't too bad against Hawks, probably the best game from him for season.

Same with Goodes. Although I still think he has gone one too many but just my opinion. I am not one who was saying he should let the young blokes take his position. I just think he would have been better off not taking the risk. But of course he plays well and proves he still has a bit left. But as I have said don't expect the brilliant Goodes all the time because that isn't going to happen as he now knows he has slowed up a bit. Ok when he has momentum but from a standing start he is quite slow. Happens to all of us as we get a little older. But he still has good skills, he won't lose them.

I didn't think Teddy had a particularly good game, pretty average for him but he didn't get scored on too much and that counts. Schoenmakers & Roughead only kicked 2.5 between them and he wasn't on both all night. Reg did a great job and only had 1.1 kicked against him. He was really good and has been all season. As to Teddy I think the only great game he has had this season was against Port. The rest have been serviceable but with too many blues.

Rampe was crap at the kick ins and got caught too easily at times. This has been a problem all season. Macca also stuffed up quite a few times on the kick outs. He made some dreadful decisions. But in the last as people say he made up for it all. He also defended well.

While we are giving stats. We were just under our average score of 12.12 but Hawks were well off theirs of 15.14. Looking at that average we need to step it up against bottom eight opposition next week and get a percentage booster.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Social media is such a toxic environment these days. The only purpose it serves in 2015 is to feed the many arseholes, narcissism and ad campaigns for big brands. Also its nothing but braggadocio.
Mate, you can't use big words like that. Hawk fans will get confused and think its a coffee.

Sanecow

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
1432558481874.jpg

Boooooo! Staging for a free!

clivus

Debutant
Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Denver Broncos, Celtics, Tottenham
Agree with a lot of comments on his thread, super hard and tough, didn't step back and gave it to the Hawks. Watched the replay again last night; still have one major concern that still has not been corrected since last Sept and that's stoppage and clearance structure, we got absolutely smashed in all but the third and last ten in the last. Joey is the hard ball get king, a gem but the Hawks especially Mitchell stands wide and intercepts on way too many occasions with no hard tag or opponent. Too many in close, need discipline for one or two to stay wide and get the clearance from Joey or Parker. Great win but very lucky to get away with that one, won't happen again later down the track against this mob.
Tend to agree. A lot of times at ball ups I saw 2 hawks waiting for the tap with no swan within 3m of them. Our clearances are more rushed kicks than passes to advantage.
Not enough marks from Franklin and TIppett so didnt go according to plan even though we scored well. Cant rely just on rebound footy and scrap goals.
If Hawks kick their usual accuracy next time and Bud and Tipp have same quiet game and we dont get the fast start, it could easily turn into a 30 point lose.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
As I said other than a few mistakes Shaw was not too bad offensively. It was his defensive efforts that worried me. They always do. He is the most scored against flanker/pocket in our team and would be close to the top of the AFL in that regard. He needs to do a lot of attacking and needs to hurt them on the way back with very efficient disposal. Unfortunately his disposal of late has not been particularly good. He also has issues when under pressure, his decision making is terrible. In all he wasn't too bad against Hawks, probably the best game from him for season.

Same with Goodes. Although I still think he has gone one too many but just my opinion. I am not one who was saying he should let the young blokes take his position. I just think he would have been better off not taking the risk. But of course he plays well and proves he still has a bit left. But as I have said don't expect the brilliant Goodes all the time because that isn't going to happen as he now knows he has slowed up a bit. Ok when he has momentum but from a standing start he is quite slow. Happens to all of us as we get a little older. But he still has good skills, he won't lose them.

I didn't think Teddy had a particularly good game, pretty average for him but he didn't get scored on too much and that counts. Schoenmakers & Roughead only kicked 2.5 between them and he wasn't on both all night. Reg did a great job and only had 1.1 kicked against him. He was really good and has been all season. As to Teddy I think the only great game he has had this season was against Port. The rest have been serviceable but with too many blues.

Rampe was crap at the kick ins and got caught too easily at times. This has been a problem all season. Macca also stuffed up quite a few times on the kick outs. He made some dreadful decisions. But in the last as people say he made up for it all. He also defended well.

While we are giving stats. We were just under our average score of 12.12 but Hawks were well off theirs of 15.14. Looking at that average we need to step it up against bottom eight opposition next week and get a percentage booster.

Wolfie. Much of it I agree with but I thought it was a bit hard on our defence who, given the amount of ball coming in as Hawks repeatedly won the clearances, were pretty good overall and set up a lot of rebounding. Also disagree about Goodes. Was until very recently quoted as our quickest over 20m and still bloody quick off the line. Not sure who in our team could catch him over that distance. That's probably why he always appears to already have momentum. Watch him around packs. He'll get better still as the year wears on. Always does. Interesting stats. Seems we focused more on stopping them scoring and that's probably the best approach. Hopefully we can use Carlton as a percentage top up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back