AFL RDT Round 8 Trades

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your bench is almost as worse as mine though. I wouldn't dream of trading someone with such good JS like Jones. He was going to have a breakout game eventually to kickstart his cash gen. Anyway, DevRob will be a much better scorer long term...you will get a few 80s out of him

I also thought he would be dropped or rested..he got smashed last week and Couldn’t get near it..I’ll now have Rowe and Macrae dropped..I have no emergencies in backs and only berry in mids. I’ll have 1/8 bench players playing this week.

I also thought he would be dropped or rested..he got smashed last week and Couldn’t get near it..I’ll now have Rowe and Macrae dropped..I have no emergencies in backs and only berry in mids. I’ll have 1/8 bench players playing this week.
might as well just spend your coin and make an upgrade this week....that's what I'm doing

Thanks. I thought strongly about Houston too but with Cumming and Markov at D5 & 6 i dont really need him. If i did go for Houston it would involve swinging Laird into the midfield for a little while. I think you are right about being able to wait another week for Houston though. I'm sure he will go up as that injury affected score comes out of his 3 round average but i doubt he will go up by too much. The question is then, how badly does your forwardline need work?

Basically it will mean moving Kosi/Burgess off the ground for Houston, or Farrer/Dev off the ground for Zorko, but trading Rowe. Much of a much, but definitely an improving my side, leaning toward Houston as I’ll most likely grab Ridley the following week and means no defensive rookies on the ground

*Forewarning, this will be a longish and self indulgent post but the intention behind it is mainly to reflect on the season ive had so far and revel in the triumphs as well as learn from the mistakes, particularly with regards to trading*

Looking at my ins and outs up to this round

Out (in order) = Rowell, O.Henry, Sharp, De Goey, Brayshaw, Kozi, Phillips, Campbell, Dunkley, Rowe
In (in order) = Ziebell, Flynn, Markov, Cumming, Dunkley, Bergman, Titch, Robertson, Marshall, Farrar

261k itb which is just enough to do Brockman -> Murphy & Gulden -> McCluggage

So ive spent about 8 trades on fixing my shitty initial selections and 2 injury trades. I havent chased premiums and instead have taken a 'ground up' approach to trading which means i looked for the best rookies and mid-pricers available instead of looking at the big scores premiums were putting up and getting FOMO. I have thus fixed a lot of my shitty initial selections, and have had a dose of luck avoiding players like L.Jones/Danger/Ridley/Daniel etc

If i had to think back i reckon the best decisions i made were related to the trades i avoided, more specifically 2 big decisions. Instead of trading in 'the hot premium or mid-pricer of the week' and chasing points that way, i decided to back my gut and stay calm. The 2 big decisions or non-decisions were to avoid Dusty when it appeared he was a 'must have' and to avoid Tex. Avoiding Tex was relatively easy, im not saying he was a terrible pickup as he made cash, but i never rated him as a long-term option and despite his massive start i didnt trust Adelaide to keep up their form.

On the other hand, avoiding Dusty was very difficult for me, i thought maybe he had turned a corner and was ready to put up another Brownlow medal type season but i also thought about his history and the fact that he doesnt play the most lucrative role at all times and thus needs to play well to score well. He has sucked me in in the past too. That said, i am lucky in that i didnt do Phillips or De Goey to Dusty after round 2 and instead went Sharp > Markov, a trade which has luckily paid off.

I will admit, at the time i had no forward thought that Dusty would put up the sh*t scores he has since round 3 and i was lucky i avoided him, but doing so, has made such a big impact on my season. Somewhat counter-intuitively i actually am very thankful for the fact that i had enough faith in De Goey and Phillips to give them an extra round in my side, instead of 'upgrading' to Dusty. De Goey only got 1 extra round as i traded him to Cumming after round 3 which again looks brilliant given that JDG went on to score 44, 3 (inj), DNP & 47 after i got rid of him, i was lucky with the timing. Phillips got an additional 2 weeks in my side over JDG, but after that 56 and the fact i had cash to spare, i really 'had' to trade him to Titch.

So there it is. 10 trades in and only now am i doing my first real rookie to genuine premium upgrade. It feels good, but im also filled with trepidation regarding the rest of the rest of the season and whether my rookies will make enough cash for me to go full premo or will luck turn for me and injuries will derail what has by far and away been my best 7 rounds of a season ever. Time will tell...

You’re having an outstanding year there no doubting that, but interesting how it was far form a “perfect” start. You’re trading looks to have been top notch thou.

Dusty was a relatively easy pass for myself, he has a tendency to throw up the odd bad score, with his role as you mentioned. However he’s firmly in my sights as he’s price will continue to plummet. I brought into the Tex hype, however I off loaded him last week, think I got about an 85ish average and made 120k, so happy enough with that, if I kept him this round I would have viewed it as a lose.

I try not to get wrapped up in must have players, if I view players as must have I simply try to start them. I viewed Macrae, Zerrett, Gawn and Grundy as that this year. I took the chance that Titch and Lloyd would have slow starts, I’ve been able to bring Titch in last week, but run the possibility of missing out on Lloyd for the year as I see Houston and Ridley as better value to finish off my defense.

Basically it will mean moving Kosi/Burgess off the ground for Houston, or Farrer/Dev off the ground for Zorko, but trading Rowe. Much of a much, but definitely an improving my side, leaning toward Houston as I’ll most likely grab Ridley the following week and means no defensive rookies on the ground

You’re having an outstanding year there no doubting that, but interesting how it was far form a “perfect” start. You’re trading looks to have been top notch thou.

Dusty was a relatively easy pass for myself, he has a tendency to throw up the odd bad score, with his role as you mentioned. However he’s firmly in my sights as he’s price will continue to plummet. I brought into the Tex hype, however I off loaded him last week, think I got about an 85ish average and made 120k, so happy enough with that, if I kept him this round I would have viewed it as a lose.

I try not to get wrapped up in must have players, if I view players as must have I simply try to start them. I viewed Macrae, Zerrett, Gawn and Grundy as that this year. I took the chance that Titch and Lloyd would have slow starts, I’ve been able to bring Titch in last week, but run the possibility of missing out on Lloyd for the year as I see Houston and Ridley as better value to finish off my defense.

Yeah if Dusty falls to 525k or so, he will be a no brainer upgrade/sideways trade from a forwardline rookie. I definitely think you can manage without buying Lloyd, especially when Houston is so cheap and Ridley will be next round too. If you can use the cash saved by avoiding Lloyd on getting a better gun midfielder then its worthwhile.

I'm wondering when the byes should be taken into account for trading, or whether it is even worthwhile factoring them into trading plans at all. I've had a little look and i seem to have an OK structure and i have thought about keeping rookies with good job security and the bye in round 13 or 14 on my bench but in terms of who i trade in, im not changing trading plans due to the byes.

Is anyone looking that far ahead wrt trading?

The AFL has finally woken up to the fact that the fans are pissed off with the teams being announced the day before the game OR could it be that it was Mark Robinson who highlighted it on Monday.
Anyway, as from round 9, teams will be announced at their traditional time of Thursday night.

Last edited:
The AFL has finally woken up to the fact that the fans are pissed off with the teams being announced the day before the game OR could it be that it was Mark Robinson who highlighted it on Monday.
Anyway, as from round 9, teams will be announced at their traditional time of Thursday night.

Great decision but will most probably mean no more rolling lock out. No more bench and VC loopholes

Great decision but will most probably mean no more rolling lock out. No more bench and VC loopholes
I assume we will still have rolling lock out. Before last season we had rolling lockout with Thursday night teams. I don't see that changing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many trades do people have left?

I don't know if I can stop trading any time soon. Forced injuries every week and all my rookies are dead. Scott got injured late in the game and if he misses, my only playing bench rookies would be Rowe and Farrar in the fwd line. Zero cover in mids and def.

Will have to make another 2 trades this week to avoid Chapman donut. After that I will have just 18 trades for the next 15 weeks...

19 trades after my 2trades this week (Thinking Walker/Fanta -> Mitchell/Frederik. $600k in the bank. Annoying to have that cash sitting there but playing the long game and dont want to spend it in a rush when there's value on offer still.

I don't really think its that bad burning through trades atm. In theory it means a completed team quicker, and trades will translate to more points if you use them earlier in the year (other than if you start copping donuts at the end due to running out completely).

3 or 4 trades is normally ok for the final 5 or 6 weeks just covering injuries.

Edit: Will probably skip Hall/Josh Kelly in this format since neither can seem to string a decent chunk of games together without copping some form of niggle.

19 trades after my 2trades this week (Thinking Walker/Fanta -> Mitchell/Frederik. $600k in the bank. Annoying to have that cash sitting there but playing the long game and dont want to spend it in a rush when there's value on offer still.

I don't really think its that bad burning through trades atm. In theory it means a completed team quicker, and trades will translate to more points if you use them earlier in the year (other than if you start copping donuts at the end due to running out completely).

3 or 4 trades is normally ok for the final 5 or 6 weeks just covering injuries.

Edit: Will probably skip Hall/Josh Kelly in this format since neither can seem to string a decent chunk of games together without copping some form of niggle.
Heres hoping! At the moment im undecided whether i get rid of my dead weight rookies for playing rookies to try and maximise points and cash generation over the bye rounds or whether i be more conservative and save trades for after the bye rounds and that way i will have more of an idea of how many trades i need to complete my team and how many i can afford to save for injuries.

I generally agree that using trades earlier is better, but it depends on what challenges the season throws at you. In the past usually the more aggressive ive been with trades, the better i have done. That said, ive used 12 trades now and only 1 has been a rookie to premium upgrade. It does mean i have good rookies apart from Treacy & Briggs although Briggs being a dual position player has been really handy. My mid-pricers are doing well too which gives me confidence such that maybe i dont need to be super aggressive, i can wait a bit longer to upgrade them - if at all.

Ill have 18 trades to upgrade anywhere between 4 and 7 positions and to cover injuries. The most likely number ill feel compelled to upgrade is 6, that way i can have a full 8 gun midfield and 6 gun forwardline, with a 5 gun backline and Cumming/Markov as D6. However, i obviously cant accurately forecast how my team will do in the future. Its hard to think of every contingency!

I may start a thread regarding bye round planning as it has been at the forefront of my mind recently. I always plan for them well ahead of time and this season will be no exception. Often my rank goes up considerably over the bye rounds. That said, you can definitely over plan and i think ive got to be conscious of straddling that line.

Treacy -> Thilthorpe

rucks would now read Grundy/Flynn/Thilthorpe alongside Marshall (fwd)

gives me proper coverage for Flynn(R2) which is needed i think

Screenshot_20210507-170534.jpg
Got $600k and 20 trades but still need all these guys 🤔
This week thinking 2 of Sier, B Campbell and Gulden to Frederick and Titch through various DPPs including McEvoy from def to ruck​

I'm actually holding off the temptation to trade Gulden to RCD. He has another week before the rise and Gulden has a pretty obtainable BE (69). Even if he falls short he won't lose much money and gives another week to see how RCD goes. When teams hit tonight will give a sight what to do with Rowe though! Team selection tonight actually will be critical!

I'm actually holding off the temptation to trade Gulden to RCD. He has another week before the rise and Gulden has a pretty obtainable BE (69). Even if he falls short he won't lose much money and gives another week to see how RCD goes. When teams hit tonight will give a sight what to do with Rowe though! Team selection tonight actually will be critical!
yeah 100% don’t do that trade. Can’t afford to **** around and trade rookies with good JS out. I’m thinking of holding Gulden right through to his bye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back