Review Round 8 v Demons at Metricon (Sat, 11 May 2019)

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
He’s been poor the last 4 week in my opinion
Our game plan is based on multiple players rotating through the middle and all helping out including the young guys like Darcy Mac, Ainsworth, Bowes. Bowes drifted in there and also played forward and back at times. He's not going to get 30 plus touches with his role.
Brodie struggles to play any other role than inside mid. His kicking and spread from a contest also need a lot of improvement.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Our game plan is based on multiple players rotating through the middle and all helping out including the young guys like Darcy Mac, Ainsworth, Bowes. Bowes drifted in there and also played forward and back at times. He's not going to get 30 plus touches with his role.
Brodie struggles to play any other role than inside mid. His kicking and spread from a contest also need a lot of improvement.
Yup this is what I am trying to explained to that dude that knew football .

SaadyArmy

Team Captain
Jan 31, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Of course Bowes is ahead of Brodie atm.
It’s because he’s been gifted game because he’s from our academy.

If Brodie got half the opportunity that Bowes has been gifted the vfl media would be comparing him to Cripps every week

That makes no sense... Ainsworth has played almost every possible game, he’s from vic. Whereas our academy boys - heron, Dawson, crossley have had limited chances but willget them when they deserve it. Brodie does not deserve it

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
He’s been poor the last 4 week in my opinion

Last week he was excellent
It’s not all about disposal numbers.
He went at 85% - was effective when he had the ball.
Kicked one goal and had another goal assist.
Took a contested intercept mark in defence.

I don’t know how AFL ranking points work exactly but he was awarded 11.8 ranking points for last weeks game. First 4 weeks were all 11-15. Then 5,3,11.8.

If we’re comparing will Brodie - his two games this year were awarded 5 and 8 ranking points.

Don’t get me wrong. I thought Brodie was good his 2 games I watched on tv. I gave him a vote in our best in ground medal. Feel free to vote given you are a keen watcher.

Clearly the neafl coaching staff have identified will’s transition running not his ball winning abilities as his main area for improvement.

Unless you’re at the ground watching that live there is no way to tell how he is doing on that front. I trust the coaching staff.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Heart breaking finish after watching the game

Few things that stood out to me
- Witts pretty much neutralised Gawn - hats off to him. Dew said in his post match conference that he has been sick and unable to attend the club up until the day before the game.
- Lukosius showing his quality early - drifted out of the match - and I have a sneaking suspicion Hore was his man on that last minute goal..
- Wright and Powell spoiled each other in a marking contest basically in the goal square in the 3rd quarter - was essentially an uncontested mark for either one and certain goal gone begging.
- Jack Bowes needs to have that shot for goal in the 3rd quarter. 40m out 5m in from the boundary - laid it up to the top of the square - Ainsworth kicked his shot from similar location - Bowes should have had a go.
- Backline held up well but Demons gave us many second chances.

Umpiring
Jayden Hunt clearly holding the ball, Lachie Weller holding the ball was rubbish - same as about 100 sequences that go uncalled, few high tackles not called but players trying to draw them - I don't mind that as long as it is consistent.

Commentators
Going on about Michael Hibberd being so courageous for minutes. Guess what - our captain went twice as hard and fast - got to the ball first, drove his shoulder in and did the damage - not one word of praise for Swallow.
Glad Collins is getting his wraps

Overall am proud of the boys - we're working towards something. Few opportunities gone begging. Would have been so so great to get a win there.

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If the selection committee want to get creative they could give Ballard a rest next week.

Play Luko back as the 3rd defender which he has done to great effect in the past at times to intercept the ball and use his elite kicking skills to set play up from the back (could be a super charged version of Ballard).

Then just play King out of the square up forward.
Luko is a forward - we mess around too much trying to turn people into players they aren't - Ah Chee anyone! Ballard is a keeper and there are a lot more who could do with a spell in the 2s rather than him. King needs to play the rest of the year if we have any hope of keeping him past these initial two years.

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
All very well rotating players through the middle as long as they can get a hard ball - and most of them can't. The last two centre bounces highlighted our deficiency in that area - we were spanked. If not Brodie, then we need to get another bull - maybe Pickett in the mid season draft. Touk is the turnover king and runs around a lot but isn't doing much of value. Martin is making some horrific decisions with kicking. Swallow is standing tall, Miles almost but not quite and so we are left trying to combat brutes like Jones, Oliver, Viney, Petracca etc. We have plenty of the outside guys but desperately need some power and dare I say it - mongrel!

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
King needs to play the rest of the year if we have any hope of keeping him past these initial two years.

King's focused on building King's weight (eventually aiming for 98kg), breaking down the expectations on his first year (a plan for eight-12 senior games) and highlighting the progress of key position players such as West Coast's Jeremy McGovern and Geelong's Tom Hawkins in their early years to provide context to his rate of progress, and also included a look at what the SUNS hope their 2022 team will look like.

https://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/news/2019-05-09/aflcomaus-inside-the-suns-

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
All very well rotating players through the middle as long as they can get a hard ball - and most of them can't. The last two centre bounces highlighted our deficiency in that area - we were spanked. If not Brodie, then we need to get another bull - maybe Pickett in the mid season draft. Touk is the turnover king and runs around a lot but isn't doing much of value. Martin is making some horrific decisions with kicking. Swallow is standing tall, Miles almost but not quite and so we are left trying to combat brutes like Jones, Oliver, Viney, Petracca etc. We have plenty of the outside guys but desperately need some power and dare I say it - mongrel!
How long Jones , Oliver , Viney , petracca playing together in AFL compare to swallow , miles, Bowes , Miller ? You can't expect 14 plus players changes in a season and build instant chemistry . Look at Essendon Stringer , Shiel , Saad it take some time for them to learn their teammate movement , strength and weakness .

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Got to like Holman.he is like a 2011 Toyota.you want to upgrade to the new model but it's still going well ..

Darcy mac is the most improved player in the afl atm

Dew seems to like the blue collar type that may not have the skill set of a top player but works hard and make the most of their opportunity given

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Having slept on it.

Still a bit gutted, but I much prefer not getting swept off the park and sitting in games.

Random Notes:

We just don't have the developed talent at the moment.

In 1-2 more pre-seasons the likes of Ainsworth, Bowes, Fiorini and Powell will be really solid players.

Darcy Mac took that extended role in the midfield and absolutely ran with it. Found another good midfielder last night.

On Holman, Carlton would be kicking themselves for letting this bloke off. Hard tough, can has a nose for goals.

Collins, the other big stand out as well. Amazing game intercepting the ball, considering the amount of I50's our young midfield give up.

Roll onto next week, teams now know we aren't an easy kill and if they aren't on we can snatch a game.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Exactly, a lot growth in our guys. With 1-2 more years more under belt and Bowes, Fiorini, Ainsworth will be all class.
Three wins and two close losses , I see a bit of Brisbane last season there in this year GC. Get two more quality first round this year plus Budarick ( more of early second Rd pick but with academy discount Richmond third round will do ) and in two -3 years times GC can start talking about getting Neale and Charlie Cameron type into the club .

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Having slept on it.

Still a bit gutted, but I much prefer not getting swept off the park and sitting in games.

Random Notes:

We just don't have the developed talent at the moment.

In 1-2 more pre-seasons the likes of Ainsworth, Bowes, Fiorini and Powell will be really solid players.

Darcy Mac took that extended role in the midfield and absolutely ran with it. Found another good midfielder last night.

On Holman, Carlton would be kicking themselves for letting this bloke off. Hard tough, can has a nose for goals.

Collins, the other big stand out as well. Amazing game intercepting the ball, considering the amount of I50's our young midfield give up.

Roll onto next week, teams now know we aren't an easy kill and if they aren't on we can snatch a game.

I was a bit worried after Lions game. It looked like wheels are falling off and we will physically struggle. But I have to hand it to boys. They worked hard. We were again a lot younger but I did not see any difference in running out the game despite 'superior' Demons training standards (glad May is gone).

Based on numbers Demons dominated in contest, clearances, tackles but we still had the game in our hands at the end.

Another interesting aspect is that opposition had now enough time to analyse our plan, players. Also young players have to learn to play with banged up bodies.

Very happy with this year so far. Just the look 1-2 years ahead makes me excited - We got plenty of talent and also blue collar workers. Players also seem happy and play for each other.

Last edited:

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Three wins and two close losses , I see a bit of Brisbane last season there in this year GC. Get two more quality first round this year plus Budarick ( more of early second Rd pick but with academy discount Richmond third round will do ) and in two -3 years times GC can start talking about getting Neale and Charlie Cameron type into the club .
If we get 6-7 wins and play out the rest fo the season the same way it would not surprise if we attract a very good player even this coming preseason. I can imagine that a lot of players don't enjoy Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth bubble. I have a feeling we could be after one of Weller's buddies. Weller did indicate it in one of his first interviews.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Just the way we moved the ball yesterday was much more methodical than in previous weeks. We didn't just go up long and down the line for repeat stoppage. We switched the ball and tried to pick our way through a lot more which was great to see. It's because of this movement that we were able to secure some really good marks inside 50.

Building on that is our next step I think.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
For all their efforts, our midfield is still our greatest area of concern. If we don’t target hard and fast, skilful mids in the next couple of drafts, games like yesterday will continue to haunt us.

bingers

Debutant
Mar 12, 2010
Northcote
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not sure if I ever seen May play as good game as Collins did yesterday. Plus no stupid suspensions, no whinging and angry spats with teammates, difference in salaries. What a pick up.

May has played one game for the Demons this year. And played poorly in that game. Not sure when he'll play game #2 ... and he's overweight. Poor recruiting decision by MFC.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
May has played one game for the Demons this year. And played poorly in that game. Not sure when he'll play game #2 ... and he's overweight. Poor recruiting decision by MFC.
Don’t worry, he’s a very good footballer and will be a good player for you. It’s just he’s had personal issues and come from the 💩 culture at the Gold Coast. None of this is Steven’s fault :rolleyes:

Back