Review Round 8 v Demons at Metricon (Sat, 11 May 2019)

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think 7 rounds in we're seeing the difference in footballing ability between Swallow and Miller
There was some discussion around this at the time of the Captaincy decision
I know a few people saw Touk going past Dave but I've never believed Touk has the gear to do that
Dave can extract, play on the outside and run and carry, and even bob up and take a contested mark now and then
He's the closest thing we have to Bont Fyfe and Cripps
Touk is courageous and a great ball winner but not in the same class as Davey

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
I think 7 rounds in we're seeing the difference in footballing ability between Swallow and Miller
There was some discussion around this at the time of the Captaincy decision
I know a few people saw Touk going past Dave but I've never believed Touk has the gear to do that
Dave can extract, play on the outside and run and carry, and even bob up and take a contested mark now and then
He's the closest thing we have to Bont Fyfe and Cripps
Touk is courageous and a great ball winner but not in the same class as Davey
Very interesting to see lately as well a role change in Miller. I haven't got the numbers to support this, but over the past two weeks he hasn't been involved as much in the midfield? He still gets in and handballs out and puts on pressure which is great, but he seems to be involved less on the spread and not kicking as much. Which is really good since he is a shocking short kick.

I see him a lot more playing forward. Which again, I think is good considering his main trait is pressure and chasing.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Very interesting to see lately as well a role change in Miller. I haven't got the numbers to support this, but over the past two weeks he hasn't been involved as much in the midfield? He still gets in and handballs out and puts on pressure which is great, but he seems to be involved less on the spread and not kicking as much. Which is really good since he is a shocking short kick.

I see him a lot more playing forward. Which again, I think is good considering his main trait is pressure and chasing.

There has definitely been a change in his role past 2 weeks
Your thoughts are interesting because even when Touk has been in the votes he has nearly lost us games with kicking out of defence or on the spread
All mids have a high clanger and lower DE rate for obvious reasons- they're always under pressure but Touk seems to find opposition players for turnover ball more than most
Has he had a role switch with Holman or McPherson?
Yes, interesting observation Sunny

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Love both Dave and Touk but not a fan of either of their kicking skills. Dave just seems to hold his own a bit better than Touk against those bigger A Grade mids like Oliver, Brayshaw, etc. Not surprising given Touk is a smaller mid. And to think we had Oliver in the palm of our hands before Clayton outsmarted himself.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
There has definitely been a change in his role past 2 weeks
Your thoughts are interesting because even when Touk has been in the votes he has nearly lost us games with kicking out of defence or on the spread
All mids have a high clanger and lower DE rate for obvious reasons- they're always under pressure but Touk seems to find opposition players for turnover ball more than most
Has he had a role switch with Holman or McPherson?
Yes, interesting observation Sunny
There were crutches next to him after Eagles game. He probably carries injury.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Love both Dave and Touk but not a fan of either of their kicking skills. Dave just seems to hold his own a bit better than Touk against those bigger A Grade mids like Oliver, Brayshaw, etc. Not surprising given Touk is a smaller mid. And to think we had Oliver in the palm of our hands before Clayton outsmarted himself.

Don’t remind me
Oliver had the massive go home factor of course- to Shepparton lol

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
FWIW, I think a draw would have been a fair result.

In the end, experience got the Demons home - Gawn/Viney/Macdonald ...

I was thinking the same thing with about a minute to go. Then we got in front and I wanted the win! Really the Dees should’ve won by a fair margin, but the improved fight the Suns are showing this year made it a lot closer than it should’ve been. When we tidy up our polish, which needs time as Dew said, we will win a lot more games.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Holman actually improve a lot this year and he is still young too . Would I take him and Gowers type in this year mid season draft ? Absolutely . So far Collins , Holman had exceeded my expectations due to them been delisted and comeback through state league .

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Holman has far exceeded my expectations this year. I think he could actually be a very good B grade long term player for us. Such a hustler.
Loves the contact.
Loves niggling and then getting thrown around trying to scab a 50 from the umpire.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
I noticed in the press conference Dew was asked about a couple of decisions and replied “ I can understand why you would be asking but I’m not allowed to answer that”

Clearly alluding to how crap those decisions were.
"I'd love to tell you what I really thought, but I don't want a 20k fine"

Old Sol

Senior List
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Definitely a different role for Miller over the last few weeks. I think we will see this a lot with our young midfield this year.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Another game another suspension.
I’ve never seen the Suns fans boo an umpire so loudly after a game as we did Yesterday.

Nonetheless-maybe I should apologise for besmirching Razor Ray.

Sorry Razor Ray-hope you had a lovely and safe trip back home to Melbourne and looking forward to your return to the Beautiful City where you most certainly are always welcome.

Unfortunately i watch the match with some Dees supporters. Disappointed like everyone but man that is so much better than losing by 100 last year vs Melbourne.
And I think that's one of the things we can take from this. Apart from the crows/brisbane game, there hasn't been thrashings like last year. The fire is burning in them. They are improving.

Sep 25, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Gold Coast
And I think that's one of the things we can take from this. Apart from the crows/brisbane game, there hasn't been thrashings like last year. The fire is burning in them. They are improving.
It used to be so embarrassing on a monday morning to show my face to my mates after another 100 point loss. As much as yesterday sucked it was great to see how we're restricting scores. I certainly got a little too excited after that Holman goal.

It used to be so embarrassing on a monday morning to show my face to my mates after another 100 point loss. As much as yesterday sucked it was great to see how we're restricting scores. I certainly got a little too excited after that Holman goal.
Yeah, me too..Pretty sure I screamed watching it on Kayo. Then the last 30 seconds.. Such a shame. But that will get better. Keeping the lead. But the fact they got to that point against Melbourne who is clearly more experienced and bigger bodies, says something.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Actually about last night I was not happy with the way our players, fans and interchange bench way over celebrated the goal that took us to 60-54.
Anyone that’s lived the true GC Sporting life would know that having your heart ripped out is always on the cards and is the natural state of being.
We are the worst team at the lockdown.

I cannot tell you how many times I’ve heard Dean Solomon yelling out 1min left or 40s left and see sending that message sent out end woefully.

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Actually about last night I was not happy with the way our players, fans and interchange bench way over celebrated the goal that took us to 60-54.
Anyone that’s lived the true GC Sporting life would know that having your heart ripped out is always on the cards and is the natural state of being.
We are the worst team at the lockdown.

I cannot tell you how many times I’ve heard Dean Solomon yelling out 1min left or 40s left and see sending that message sent out end woefully.
i know your talking about me.;)

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
I'm still hurting after that loss. More so because I look at the three games ahead with teams like Port away, Cats @ home and then the Giants away.

Odds are we will lose to Port, and we definitely won't beat the other two. Meaning another three losses to put us with 7 losses on the trot. It's so important IMO to get the wins when we can. These losing streaks wear away at you, even if they are more competitive.

Back