Review Round 8 v Demons at Metricon (Sat, 11 May 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm still hurting after that loss. More so because I look at the three games ahead with teams like Port away, Cats @ home and then the Giants away.

Odds are we will lose to Port, and we definitely won't beat the other two. Meaning another three losses to put us with 7 losses on the trot. It's so important IMO to get the wins when we can. These losing streaks wear away at you, even if they are more competitive.
Common, every game is winnable. Port look very ordinary with all outs. If we played Giants today we would beat them. Easily their worst game in 3-4 years, absolutely pathetic, no effort, no tackling, disinterested. And who knows maybe Cats will take their trip as a holiday.

I am already happy with progress this year. To see players play for each other, never give up, see Powell determination, Lukosius talent, ...
The only time I was down this year so far was Qclash. The second half against Crows was also bad.

I am more disappointed for players, club. It would be a great morale boost, reward for hard work. But in all honestly, Melbourne deserved to win, they dominated in midfield. We were lucky they are shot in forward and defence at the moment.

Common, every game is winnable. Port look very ordinary with all outs. If we played Giants today we would beat them. Easily their worst game in 3-4 years, absolutely pathetic, no effort, no tackling, disinterested. And who knows maybe Cats will take their trip as a holiday.

I am already happy with progress this year. To see players play for each other, never give up, see Powell determination, Lukosius talent, ...
The only time I was down this year so far was Qclash. The second half against Crows was also bad.

I am more disappointed for players, club. It would be a great morale boost, reward for hard work. But in all honestly, Melbourne deserved to win, they dominated in midfield. We were lucky they are shot in forward and defence at the moment.
Another quality post , I don't know why people get so upset with the lost , is not like multiple 80+ point lost like last season. Brisbane won 5 games last year and GC already won 3 this year and lower down the losing percentage.

Last edited:
People in my workplace never talk about the Suns but I’ve already had 3 comments about the umpires this morning. The non holding the ball decision and Ray calling us back when we were away and not giving us the advantage to be specific.
It doesn’t happen to other teams on their home ground.
Ripped off.

I'm still hurting after that loss.

Yes
I'm less sanguine about it than I was on Saturday
I actually thought Melbourne controlled the game for more periods so they would have been peeved to lose but when you get your nose in front with a minute to go it makes it harder to accept with a run of difficult games upcoming
Vastly different performance to last year at The Gabba vs Melbourne though which I count as one of our worst ever losses

I think 7 rounds in we're seeing the difference in footballing ability between Swallow and Miller
There was some discussion around this at the time of the Captaincy decision
I know a few people saw Touk going past Dave but I've never believed Touk has the gear to do that
Dave can extract, play on the outside and run and carry, and even bob up and take a contested mark now and then
He's the closest thing we have to Bont Fyfe and Cripps

From Robbo's The Tackle today

7. Cripps and Swallow
Compare their games on Saturday. David Swallow had 35 disposals and Patrick Cripps 35. The contested possession was Swallow 22 and Cripps 19. Clearances were Swallow 12 and Cripps 13. Metres gained was Swallow 624 and Cripps 349. Cripps was widely acknowledged as best on ground and had praise rightfully heaped on him. Swallow is off broadway and all the talk was about McDonald’s point on the siren. Swallow has been a terrific leader of the kids this year and, dare I say it, if he played for a Melbourne-based team, he’d be lavished for the player he is.

Dave's an A grader
Harbs is an A grader
We just lack a superstar who can influence games on their own
As much as I love Dave he's not quite that- yet
He is only 26!

Harley Bennell says hi :(

Dave having a renaissance year - statistically and in spirit

Some guys mature later in age -
Matty Boyd, Shaun Higgins, Scott Thompson the midfielder became gun players after age 25

People in my workplace never talk about the Suns but I’ve already had 3 comments about the umpires this morning. The non holding the ball decision and Ray calling us back when we were away and not giving us the advantage to be specific.
It doesn’t happen to other teams on their home ground.
Ripped off.

1. Clearly got boot to ball. Was it a good kick? No. Was it luck? Probably. But the fact is, he got the kick away without losing disposal of the ball. Good decision

2. Play had stopped, including Sexton. Ray even explained it if you look back at the footage with sound on. "I wanted to let it go Alex, you didn't go straight away alrighty". You can see Ray pay advantage as Secco breaks free of Jones with the ball, but Secco kinda stopped and then went again. Stopping/slowing the play by the ball carrier is the trigger sign for an umpire to not pay the advantage or to bring the ball back. Correct decision every day of the week.

Hope that helps

Geez, watching that final quarter back, how phenomenal was Holman. Such a workhorse for our team

Holman has far exceeded my expectations this year. I think he could actually be a very good B grade long term player for us. Such a hustler.
The phrase that immediately comes to mind is "scrappy gym rat" - A Danny Amendola/Julian Edleman type (Sunny and Suns can back me up here)

I noticed in the press conference Dew was asked about a couple of decisions and replied “ I can understand why you would be asking but I’m not allowed to answer that”

Clearly alluding to how crap those decisions were.
Best press conference response since "I'm just here so I won't be fined"

Unfortunately i watch the match with some Dees supporters. Disappointed like everyone but man that is so much better than losing by 100 last year vs Melbourne.
At the end of the day, If you had of told us we'd lead in the last minute only to get beat by a point before the game we'd all have taken it with both hands, I distinctly remember freezing my ass off on the deck at the Gabba watching us get blown TF out this time last year. I don't like getting my heart broken but it's far better than getting blown out like that.

I'm still hurting after that loss. More so because I look at the three games ahead with teams like Port away, Cats @ home and then the Giants away.

Odds are we will lose to Port, and we definitely won't beat the other two. Meaning another three losses to put us with 7 losses on the trot. It's so important IMO to get the wins when we can. These losing streaks wear away at you, even if they are more competitive.
I cast my mind back to that time we thought we were going to get smashed by Geelong in like 2014 and ended up thumping them by close to 50 points. Never say never.

Think of the bright side with Port, We've beaten them in Adelaide before and best of all we don't have to play them in bloody China this year.

Melksham broken foot from kicking Swallow's leg. I can't believe David did not not even flinch. That was serious kick.
Between that and the hit that seemed to bust that other blokes collarbone, Swallow was a machine for sure.

Not that I like people getting injuried but it's interesting to finally see one of our guys come off first best in a contest like that.

1. Clearly got boot to ball. Was it a good kick? No. Was it luck? Probably. But the fact is, he got the kick away without losing disposal of the ball. Good decision

2. Play had stopped, including Sexton. Ray even explained it if you look back at the footage with sound on. "I wanted to let it go Alex, you didn't go straight away alrighty". You can see Ray pay advantage as Secco breaks free of Jones with the ball, but Secco kinda stopped and then went again. Stopping/slowing the play by the ball carrier is the trigger sign for an umpire to not pay the advantage or to bring the ball back. Correct decision every day of the week.

Hope that helps

Geez, watching that final quarter back, how phenomenal was Holman. Such a workhorse for our team
I think him getting tackled to ground - and then about 0.5 second later gets a kick - he was already down - given he had the ball for 10+ seconds - thats holding the ball.

I agree the Sexton one was a reasonable call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope that helps

Honestly my biggest issue was the HTB against Weller in the 3rd.

Hope that helps

It helps and I do thank you because it assists in learning about interpretations BUT....
1-If the game was played anywhere else he’d have his whistle in his mouth long before he’d been spun over on his head three times in the pike position before the foot was able to touch the ball
2-what he said to Secco was him in classic authoritarian style covering his bum once he realised he had taken a goal away from us and could feel the heat going on him.

It was once again key moments in a home game for us where we didn’t get from the VFL Umpires what every other club gets to enjoy at their home matches.

The rub of the green is meant to even itself out but it doesn’t for us. We get zilch, zero, nothing.

Last edited:
It helps BUT....
1-If the game was played anywhere else he’d have his whistle in his mouth long before he’d been spun over on his head three times in the pike position before the foot was able to touch the ball
2-what he said to Secco was him in classic authoritarian style covering his bum once he realised he had taken a goal away from us and could feel the heat going on him.

It was once again key moments in a home game for us where we didn’t get from the VFL Umpires what every other club gets to enjoy at their home matches.

The rub of the green is meant to even itself out but it doesn’t for us. We get zilch, zero, nothing.
Agree, can someone more tech savvy than me put a YouTube vid showing the Weller and Hanley decisions together and ask why one is and the other isn’t

Time to embarrass the AFL into a fair go

I don't think Holman gets anywhere near enough credit or love, last two weeks he is everywhere at the right time making class decisions in time and space, he set up both those quick goals with clean hands in close for Benny and Darcy and the tackles he lays are speshoool

His single handed goal in the last minute from halfback to kick it was amazing, how clean was his one handed take from Miles behind him at full pace, never broke stride. The guy has some real belief and has gone from junk yard dog playing for his life to borderline A grade

Not to mention set shots at big moments are usually always slotted

I don't think Holman gets anywhere near enough credit or love, last two weeks he is everywhere at the right time making class decisions in time and space, he set up both those quick goals with clean hands in close for Benny and Darcy and the tackles he lays are speshoool

His single handed goal in the last minute from halfback to kick it was amazing, how clean was his one handed take from Miles behind him at full pace, never broke stride. The guy has some real belief and has gone from junk yard dog playing for his life to borderline A grade

Not to mention set shots at big moments are usually always slotted
Borderline A grade is big praise. Played 22 games last year and doesn't look likely to be dropped after the 7 he's played so far in 2019.

Always gives plenty of energy and aggression and along with Macpherson is the perfect example of the kind of value clubs can bring in with late picks and rookie selections.

Borderline A grade is big praise. Played 22 games last year and doesn't look likely to be dropped after the 7 he's played so far in 2019.

Always gives plenty of energy and aggression and along with Macpherson is the perfect example of the kind of value clubs can bring in with late picks and rookie selections.
Darcy has been my favourite player for a while now, tough, polished and gutsy

A lot of people here ridiculed Dew and committee last year for playing Holman and Macpherson for that matter too. And looked how they turned out - true blue-collar workers. They were probably best against Demons together with Swallow and Collins. I bet Dew is right about Lemmens too. He just needs a clean run at it. He was good against Demons after long lay off besides the shanked kick at goal. 666 rule gives players more space.

Next year Rankine, Macpherson, Lemmens, Holman together will be killing it in forward/midfield space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back