Preview Round 8 v Fremantle at Fremantle Community Bank Oval (Fremantle Oval)

Remove this Banner Ad

I felt we were very lucky not to get penalised a number of times in the second half. If I was an opposition supporter I would have put my TV remote through the screen after Woodland's goal. We definitely had the rub of the green in that second half. Meanwhile we were absolutely murdered in the first half.

The umpiring at AFLW level is simply not good enough, week in, week out.
I’ve actually made a thread about umpires 2-3 years ago. They’ve been pissing me (I’m sure others here too) off since the inception of AFLW. It’s so noticeable there is a clear bias against us that it’s become a long running joke. Though I do think the umpiring standards have improved overall and the biases have lessened to some degree.

Regarding the Woodlands drop and goal. I would have been livered if a free was given against her, because she actually took the mark (with several juggles)! It was called “play on”, and because she didn’t have any prior opportunity after being tackled straight away, a free against her would have been total injustice.

“Meanwhile we were absolutely murdered in the first half” (umpiring bias). How many times have we felt this over the years?!

Yes, agreed it should have been paid a mark... but once it wasn't, then it had to be holding the ball. You can't just split the difference by paying nothing!

Woodland also took another great contested mark that wasn't paid a short while later.
My initial thoughts were the same ie. illegal disposal (once not paid a mark).
But if you look again at the scenario:
  • Woodland should have been paid a mark
  • she rightly stopped, believing it was a mark
  • the umpire called “play on”
  • Woodland was immediately tackled after the “play on” call and had no prior opportunity to dispose of ball.
  • the ball spilled out from the tackle, with no prior opportunity, rather than an “illegal disposal”.

Probably one of those 50-50 call, and deserved to go our way since it was a fair dinkum mark anyway.

Coaches Votes :)

10 Ebony Marinoff
8 Anne Hatchard
6 Danielle Ponter
2 Sarah Verrier
2 Rachelle Martin
1 Stephanie Cain
1 Laura Pugh

That essentially breaks down to a consensus on the top 3, but disagreement in 4th and 5th.

5 Marinoff
4 Hatchard
3 Ponter
2 Martin
1 Pugh

5 Marinoff
4 Hatchard
3 Ponter
2 Verrier
1 Cain

The breakdown is unique other than Pugh and Cain who could switch places.

Hatchard moves to third place on the leaderboard, Marinoff to sixth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back