Round 8 vs Brisbane - IN's and OUT's

Remove this Banner Ad

Who could do the job on Zorko? Dahl or Jong maybe?
We can't risk him getting off the chain like he did against the Pies.

Coming up against Martin, Jacobs, Grundy then Gawn in the ruck over the next few weeks. A big ask for English against them, probably time for a spell I think.
Dahl and honey smashed Merrett a few weeks ago. They'd be my go to pair if honey holds his spot.

Outs:
Dayne Zorko - 697 metres gained vs Collingwood.
Daniel Rich - 641 metres gained vs Collingwood.

We cannot go the shoot out like Collingwood did and hope to win.
They are not quite in the metres gained mafia, but Rich is up at
the pointy end of the list and Witherden and Zorko are handy.

I think the only way we can win is ugly especially with no Bont. They have some quick players. Zorko needs a hard tag maybe honey and we cannot let Rich loose with his finishing skills. I know the tigers destroyed them at the G but the 2016 premiers are a long way behind the 2017 premiers at the moment.

Don’t think Campbell and Boyd can play in the one side. If Trengove is fit enough to ruck two thirds of the game then he comes in for English if we’re looking to give him a rest.

And you’d think Bont would come in for Honeychurch.

Another week or two for Schache at Footscray I would’ve thought. Then we can maybe give him a look before the bye.

No change to the ruck. Boyd to ruck for as much as he can, English to play forward.

However if Boyd's fitness is not up to major duties in the ruck, or English is in need of the week off, then Trengove to come in and share the ruck work with Boyd.

I like big Tom but I can't see how the Lions won't exploit him. He looks good for a quarter or so, then can blow up if he has to involve himself in constant running. The Lions will get separation from him at every opportunity, effectively benching him and meaning we are a man down.

I don't know if anything has changed since he played last that would make him a more mobile, endurance footballer, but I would have thought he'd be getting a game by now if he had taken the next step.

No change to the ruck. Boyd to ruck for as much as he can, English to play forward.

However if Boyd's fitness is not up to major duties in the ruck, or English is in need of the week off, then Trengove to come in and share the ruck work with Boyd.

I like big Tom but I can't see how the Lions won't exploit him. He looks good for a quarter or so, then can blow up if he has to involve himself in constant running. The Lions will get separation from him at every opportunity, effectively benching him and meaning we are a man down.

I don't know if anything has changed since he played last that would make him a more mobile, endurance footballer, but I would have thought he'd be getting a game by now if he had taken the next step.

English needs a rest.. He has barely been able to take a mark so the forward line is not where he should be

Outs:
Dayne Zorko - 697 metres gained vs Collingwood.
Daniel Rich - 641 metres gained vs Collingwood.

We cannot go the shoot out like Collingwood did and hope to win.
They are not quite in the metres gained mafia, but Rich is up at
the pointy end of the list and Witherden and Zorko are handy.
Unpopular opinion but I would like to see Wood go forward again when he returns. He did need to go back but now our backs have had more time to gel and Crozier back I don't think the situation is as dire. Apparently looked good and our players said always a tough match up in inter club games. I say this because I think he can still make it forward and could be a dangerous defensive half forward playing on guys like Rich or a Hurn, Laird type. Has the speed and athleticism to play that role.

Unpopular opinion but I would like to see Wood go forward again when he returns. He did need to go back but now our backs have had more time to gel and Crozier back I don't think the situation is as dire. Apparently looked good and our players said always a tough match up in inter club games. I say this because I think he can still make it forward and could be a dangerous defensive half forward playing on guys like Rich or a Hurn, Laird type. Has the speed and athleticism to play that role.
Not unpopular with me Southern 8, giving up way too many points against. (Like throwing stones at a trampoline)
to use a much maligned analogy. I love Wood and even Johannisen forward despite all the hatred it attracts
x-factor and pressure works at both ends when combined with speed.

I wouldn't worry too much about Rich, he disappears whenever he plays us.

There's a bloke who sits/stands somewhere around level 1 aisle 36 who just rips into him the whole game. It's great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a bloke who sits/stands somewhere around level 1 aisle 36 who just rips into him the whole game. It's great.
Haha. "I know a bloke who ..."

Come on, fess up STC! We don't mind.

After reading this I’m backing Rich for bog.

B: Young Naughton Suckling
HB: Williams Cordy Crozier

R: Trengove Bontempelli Macrae
C: McLean Wallis Hunter

HF: Dahlhaus Dunkley Dale
F: Johannisen Boyd Gowers

I: Richards Daniel Jong Lipinski

Out: English (rest), Honeychurch
In: Trengove, Bontempelli

Not many changes again this week. Bontempelli will hopefully be right, if he doesn’t get up Honeychurch will have to stay in. Would probably give him the run with role on Zorko that he played against Essendon on Merrett. English looks like he needs a rest and Stef Martin is a ruckman who makes you do some running, think Trengove gets the chance to replace him. Trengove was excellent in the role in the preseason comp but didn’t really get the chance to play there when the season started as he played full forward round 1 and was sent back to defense round 2. Think he deserves to play over Campbell I’d still rate English as our number one ruck right now so I hope he comes straight back in after his rest.

Young did enough to keep his spot in the side until Wood comes back. He had a couple of moments I think where he was in a good position to mark and went the fist but he did quite well in general. Naughton is playing unbelievable footy at the moment, I’ve rated him in our top 5 the past two weeks and seems to be getting better and better. Amazing how quickly he has adjusted, he just gets to so many contests, took some amazing intercept marks on the weekend. Tim Kelly excepted and bias included, I think he has had the best start of any of the draftees thus far. Rising star nomination mustn’t be far away.

Richards has been down the last few weeks and might be in the gun (he might be in line for a rest too). I still think he is offering enough to stay in but could see him being replaced, is Biggs a chance of returning? He seems on the outer and his stats were quite poor on the weekend.

It’s great to see Schache play well but I wouldn’t put him in quite yet. Give him a few weeks getting that confidence up in the VFL first. Would love to see him get some games before the bye, still think we’re missing that marking option pushing up to the wings

He has for the last few, but he used to absolutely tear us a new one every outing. Seriously you don't remember that game under McCartney at the Gabba when he had like 10 goals from outside 50?

You and your mate need to be careful.

bulldogs-events-lvl1_0.jpg

#BeMoreBulldog

Last edited:
He has for the last few, but he used to absolutely tear us a new one every outing. Seriously you don't remember that game under McCartney at the Gabba when he had like 10 goals from outside 50?

You and your mate need to be careful.

I think I've suppressed a lot of the McCartney years.

Good teams wouldn’t be concerned with Rich he has no defensive side at all.

Proves how far we have dropped some are concerned about him.

Why are so many people suggesting Roarke Smith should come back in? He's played 1 game in the VFL after coming back from injury and wasn't listed in the best (only had 12 touches). I think he's got talent, but is he is hardly a walk up start for the senior team

Yeah, but we really should be dropping quite a few to the VFL to refresh and find form/stop the damage to the brand. Jong, Young, Crozier, Richards, English, Dale should all be dropped this week because they were shite last week and, for most of them, weeks before that. And when you have to do that (and we do), then guys like Roarke are going to get that promotion and their chance.

Tinkering around the edges when our form has been so putrid for several weeks won't work.

Although he was superb against gold coast, I wouldn't mind seeing Dahl play inside the fwd 50 a bit more.
With our injuries and lack of contested ball winners I doubt it will be a possibility this year?

Yeah, but we really should be dropping quite a few to the VFL to refresh and find form/stop the damage to the brand. Jong, Young, Crozier, Richards, English, Dale should all be dropped this week because they were shite last week and, for most of them, weeks before that. And when you have to do that (and we do), then guys like Roarke are going to get that promotion and their chance.

Tinkering around the edges when our form has been so putrid for several weeks won't work.

I thought Dale was OK. Faded in and out which can happen when you're an outside mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back