Game Day Round 8 vs Gold Coast @ Heritage Bank Stadium, 4:35 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

GDT Template.png

Preview

Here we are at Round 8 already. Melbourne, whilst not at their peak form-wise, put North Melbourne to the sword last week in a 90-point demolition that ticked over to three digits at one point, before North piled on three late goals to drop the margin to double digits. The Dees regain Harrison Petty this week, who replaces Josh Schache in Melbourne's continually shifting forward line. Despite the regular changes up forward, Melbourne is the AFL's highest scoring side after seven games, averaging 109.9 points per game.

Gold Coast has been patchy so far in 2023. Sitting 13th on the ladder with a 3-4 record, they've shown flashes of their best, which included a win over last year's premiers Geelong at home and a win on the road against the struggling Tigers last week. As is often the way with inexperienced sides, these wins have been countered by disappointing losses, including to Fremantle in a game where they led by 23 points, and drubbings at the hands of St Kilda (53 points) and Sydney (49 points).

The Suns can be dangerous at home, but without their leader and best player, Touk Miller, this one will be a tough ask against a team that has beaten them 10 times in a row.

Teams

1683257954021.png

1683258664545.png

Head to Head

All-time: Melbourne 13 wins, Gold Coast 3 wins

Last five games:
  • Round 2, 2022: Gold Coast 10.9.69 def by Melbourne 12.10.82 (Heritage Bank Stadium)​
  • Round 21, 2021: Gold Coast 4.6.30 def by Melbourne 18.20.128 (Marvel Stadium)​
  • Round 6, 2020: Melbourne 12.8.80 def Gold Coast 9.9.63 (GIANTS Stadium)​
  • Round 8, 2019: Gold Coast 9.6.60 def by Melbourne 8.13.61 (Heritage Bank Stadium)​
  • Round 20, 2018: Melbourne 21.17.143 def Gold Coast 7.5.47 (MCG)​

Recent Form

1683258747620.png

Stat of the Week

Steven May, Jack Viney and David Swallow are the only players named for this matchup that lined up when these two sides clashed in Round 5, 2014 – the last time Gold Coast beat Melbourne.

Prediction

Melbourne by 17 points

In surfers, soon to be #ATG.

As an ATG correspondent, please refer to me on all game related matters. Saw a couple of Dees supporters at Avalon airport who seemed weird enough to post here.

ATG confirmation incoming.

Thought I'd try something a bit different with the GDT this week. Suggestions always welcome :)

One request mate, like it, but no black text (for dark mode users like me) please.

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

One request mate, like it, but no black text (for dark mode users like me) please.
Ah, good point! Should've previewed it in dark mode first.

Should be fixed now.

Feel like the games up there are always such a s**t watch. Don't remember enjoying any.

Trac's first or second game the last I remember that was alright (think we won by 10 goals)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think this will be a close scrap, hope we handle the conditions better than the Brissy game, simply can't come out flat again. Will take any win, GC will probably upset a few sides this season, but not us.

Dees by 27, Kosi with 4 after the re-sign.

What an absolute s**t show of a game this was. I always remember it fondly though, because I was laughing maniacally at the end of it and decided to go out and get absolutely slaughtered afterwards, which ended up being the night I met my partner, lol.

What an absolute s**t show of a game this was. I always remember it fondly though, because I was laughing maniacally at the end of it and decided to go out and get absolutely slaughtered afterwards, which ended up being the night I met my partner, lol.

Tom McDonald SAVED THE SEASON…

Until we decided to win 2 of the remaining 14 games. 👀

Lol that 2019 game was horrible we had control for most the game but couldn't put it on the board, probably typical Melbourne bombing into the forward line type of game. The other game that comes to mind was the Carlton game reckon we were about 35 points up and almost lost it, could have been a draw but the Carlton player hit the post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back