Unofficial Preview Round 8 vs Hawthorn. The Luke Brennan Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Thought I would create a preview thread to discuss the game since one is not up yet. This is a big game for both clubs, both clubs trying to fight out and decide once and for all which club sucks slightly less than the other.

For me I would love to see Maibaum get a go. We desperately need a proper no frills key defender and Maibaum fits the bill. We also need to find out if he is good enough to make it given that list sizes are likely going to be reduced at the end of the year.

Also hope like hell we play the attacking brand we played against Gold Coast rather than the shite we delivered against Richmond. I don't care if we lose by more, the young kids learn more by being somewhat attacking.

In the past we've played this Wee and Poo stain of a club with top four honours on the line.

We are now both at the other end of the table wondering how it all went wrong.

Interesting game ahead. If we only win another game for the year I hope it's this one.

How we looking for this one?

Predictions

Swans by 100 and Clarko to resign mid next week.

Bigfooty Hawthorn to completely melt.

OR

Hawks by 100.

Horse to resign mid next week

Swans bigfooty to meltdown and some to rejoice the prospect of a new leader.

Seriously a really interesting game.

Hawks by 27

If Reid comes back let him go to defence.

AA was ok as a forward and another few weeks of good performance will give him a good confidence boost and he will be off and running again.

I'd be thinking Lizard gets another crack but would like to see more from him TBH.

Loving watching Rowbottom this season

I have resigned myself to our fate this year. Going into every single game expecting a loss and just hoping to see good signs along the way.

It's been the same few names every week this season. Hopefully some more help out, as Hayward and McCartin did on the weekend.

Maibaum is like the boogeyman at our club but **** it would be great to see him debut.

Last edited:
I've also moved into the acceptance stage of football 'grief'. It's actually quite liberating not expecting to win each week, leaving behind denial and anger at the TV. Taking joy out of the small things. But I'll put all the renewal stuff on pause this week. I can't stand this mob and want to beat them. I want Hawthorn's head of the rules committee to leave the SCG wondering how the youngest team in the comp beat his team of hand-picked mature recruits.

Gosh, a win here would put the Hawks in doubt, not just for this year, but for the next 5. We're about as young as a team gets and we've lost 4 in a row and look like we are at the lowest point of our rebuild.

Hawthorn have managed to get the oldest list and is still playing some terrible footy. If they lose now they will have rebulid written in the stars, and with a list that old, it will take quite a few years before they're even close.

I would like to see:

Brand in for O'Riordan (if not fit, then Maibaum debuts.)
Wicks or Foot in for Warner (both better suited to the role, whoever is closest to selection out of the two.)
Reid in for Blakey (Blakey needs to be dropped. Less about Reid, more about Blakey.)

Stoddart gets another chance. Overcame one hurdle with finding the ball, let's see if he can overcome another by using it better. Sounds like McInerney could use a few weeks in the seconds anyway.

Reid will play his one good game and his fans will be up and about

we will slaughter this rabble
If Reid has 1 6 goal game a year and it is always against Hawthorn he will have a successful career imo

If Reid has 1 6 goal game a year and it is always against Hawthorn he will have a successful career imo

If he did that I would offer him a ten year contract on a million bucks.

Unfortunately he only does it against Bulldogs or Collingwood in games that we lose anyway

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he did that I would offer him a ten year contract on a million bucks.

Unfortunately he only does it against Bulldogs or Collingwood in games that we lose anyway
After 2014 I was so pissed I said to someone "I don't care if we win the next 10 wooden spoons, if I never saw a loss to Hawthorn again in my life I'd die a happy man"

6 years later I still feel that way

After 2014 I was so pissed I said to someone "I don't care if we win the next 10 wooden spoons, if I never saw a loss to Hawthorn again in my life I'd die a happy man"

To be fair I felt that way before 2014 as well.

Roble kicking 7 against the Hawks is one of my all time favourite games. Big chunk because we beat the Hawks

Roble kicking 7 against the Hawks is one of my all time favourite games. Big chunk because we beat the Hawks
I was there and he kicked most of the goals to the end I was at. I was with a Hawks supporter.

It was magical

Maibaum to debut, replaces O'Riordan, likely on O'Brien. Rampe takes Gunston. Aliir plays loose (he will have a field day with Hawthorn's inside 50 entries, will play him back into form.) Fox plays one on one which frees up Mills to help out in the midfield.

You'd then have Parker, Mills, Rowbottom and Florent as the quartet (preferably the latter two at the ball drop but I won't beat a dead horse...)

Wicks or Foot to debut, replaces Warner, in the half forward/pressure forward/small forward role. Honestly whoever impresses most on the track should be picked. Both should've debuted before any of our 2019 draftees IMO. Warner then helps out in the midfield in a supporting role to get a taste for it.

Reid obviously comes in to replace Aliir forward, while McLean should come in to replace Blakey (shouldn't have been dropped in the first place.)

Elijah gets another chance to show what he can do in Hayward's absence as perhaps his most like-for-like player.

IN - Maibaum (debut), Wicks/Foot (debut), Reid, McLean
OUT - O'Riordan, Hewett, Hayward, Blakey

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back