Autopsy Round 8 vs Melbourne @ The Bank - 06/05/23 - 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi what's Rory Atkins job security like? Has he pencilled himself in? Asking re supercoach.
How long is a piece of string?
He's in his 3rd yr with us and played 16 games....will he keep his spot when Weller comes back......probably.
But 1 bad game and he has Uwland, Budarick, Farrar, all pushing for a game. His 4th qtr against the Dees wasn't that crash hot, but he satisfied the SC Gods and that's all that counts.
Can he play 3-4 more games and increase his price? That's the $64 question.

I play SC and won't be bringing him in....but to each their own...

How long is a piece of string?
He's in his 3rd yr with us and played 16 games....will he keep his spot when Weller comes back......probably.
But 1 bad game and he has Uwland, Budarick, Farrar, all pushing for a game. His 4th qtr against the Dees wasn't that crash hot, but he satisfied the SC Gods and that's all that counts.
Can he play 3-4 more games and increase his price? That's the $64 question.

I play SC and won't be bringing him in....but to each their own...
Thanks Choppers.

Imagine just eating grass knowing you're on national television and not giving a flying *. He is not human - he is a god. This is why I have a DG Designs Matt Rowell art piece hanging in my lounge to pray to when I come home.

Missus wouldn't let me hang it above the bed :'(
Clearly the foot needs to go down mate, No boning unless Rowell supervises.

Thanks exile, I smell some new avatars coming this week 😍
Thanks Choppers.
Choppers #1 SC advise on Suns Board

All other advice given by little girls

Just finished watching full replay after seeing snippets over the past few days

A few star player moments by Gawn and Petracca were the difference. The wonderful Petracca snapping goal, the fantastic handball to Sparrow for his long goal. Gawns marking in attack and defence. Too good for us in the moment.

Positives - individuals
  • Anderson showing that drive from congestion and delivering inside 50. Disposal efficiency gone up from 63% to 68%.. would love him to be pushing 75%.
  • Rowell dragging us into the game in the first quarter with consecutive clearances after we got behind early
Rosas
  • Collins and Ballard seem back after a slow first few weeks. Been very solid the last few weeks. Both in top 10 for intercepts. Both low contested 1v1 loss rate.
  • Small defenders held Kozzie and Fritsch to relatively quiet games. Kozzie looked ominous early - 5 possessions and 1 goal in the first quarter. 3 possessions and 1 goal in the final 3 quarters (his goal should have been recalled after front on contact against Fritsch on Ben Long). Long, Lemmens, Macpherson and Powell seemed to all spend time on these pair.
  • Rosas playing with some confidence. 4 goals is great.
  • Lukosius is showing he can consistently be involved. Top 3 marking forwards in the league this year 1. McKay 2. Curnow 3. Lukosius. 14 in score involvements in the year. This was not something we knew at the start of the year. Obviously needs to finish his shots better.
  • Berry looked quite good. Certainly in the Holman mould. Take an age to kick it into the forward line after Anderson found him on the lead last quarter wasn't great, but otherwise provided excellent pressure and got his hands on it a bit. Kick for goal early in the match was weak.

Positives - team
  • Melbourne 47-27 with a free kick to Oliver in the centre square with 7 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. You would expect us to end up 5 goals down at half time most times with game effectively over. Getting back to 46-47 in the next 5 minutes on the back of stoppage wins.
  • Kicked 13.7 (although missed a few very gettable ones) - means we're probably getting easier looks in general.

Negatives
  • Conceding goals in the last minute in 2 quarters.
  • Few kicks out of the backline just not quite good enough. Had players out but a loopy kick gave Melbourne enough time to pressure and spoil out of bounds
  • Went to Rosas when we needed a spark out of the middle. He started the centre bounce after Gawn's free goal. Melbourne went to Harmes who had immediate impact. Tsitas came on and did nothing I'm afraid. Surely we have some more planning that Rosas who would have done virtually no training in that position I would imagine. He gave away a free kick.

Missed opportunities
  • Lemmens miss 35m directly in front
  • Berry overkicks running toward the 50, goes over a free Casboult's head and out of bounds
  • Berry doesn't make the distance from set shot 42m out, Lukosius snaps into the post from 3m out.
  • Chol dropped mark from Rosas kick inside 50. Shot on goal from 45m on his wrong side goes begging
  • King shot from 40m out, slight angle doesn't make the distance.
  • DMac misses the game tying shot from 40m out directly in front.

Umpiring
  • The Chol mark not given in 1st quarter = Grundy goal
  • The Lukosius 50m for half a step over = Jordan goal. Probably there to the letter of the law but tough. Examples in the same game otherwise ignored.
  • Fritsch front on ctonact to Long not given - Pickett goal
  • Collins 50 against Petty was pretty soft
  • The Hunter holding the ball leading to Ellis goal was soft
  • The free goal to Gawn for King hit on Petty.. wouldn't say it was an umpiring error. Silly from Ben, deceptive from Petty.
  • Rosas mark not paid, play rolls on and Noah kicks one from the square.
  • Swallow dragged down in marking contest, missed opportunity for a set shot.
  • Chol push out not paid - ball goes to DMAc who misses

Last edited:
Just finished watching full replay after seeing snippets over the past few days

A few star player moments by Gawn and Petracca were the difference. The wonderful Petracca snapping goal, the fantastic handball to Sparrow for his long goal. Gawns marking in attack and defence. Too good for us in the moment.

Positives - individuals
  • Anderson showing that drive from congestion and delivering inside 50. Disposal efficiency gone up from 63% to 68%.. would love him to be pushing 75%.
  • Rowell dragging us into the game in the first quarter with consecutive clearances after we got behind early
Rosas
  • Collins and Ballard seem back after a slow first few weeks. Been very solid the last few weeks. Both in top 10 for intercepts. Both low contested 1v1 loss rate.
  • Small defenders held Kozzie and Fritsch to relatively quiet games. Kozzie looked ominous early - 5 possessions and 1 goal in the first quarter. 3 possessions and 1 goal in the final 3 quarters (his goal should have been recalled after front on contact against Fritsch on Ben Long). Long, Lemmens, Macpherson and Powell seemed to all spend time on these pair.
  • Rosas playing with some confidence. 4 goals is great.
  • Lukosius is showing he can consistently be involved. Top 3 marking forwards in the league this year 1. McKay 2. Curnow 3. Lukosius. 14 in score involvements in the year. This was not something we knew at the start of the year. Obviously needs to finish his shots better.
  • Berry looked quite good. Certainly in the Holman mould. Take an age to kick it into the forward line after Anderson found him on the lead last quarter wasn't great, but otherwise provided excellent pressure and got his hands on it a bit. Kick for goal early in the match was weak.

Positives - team
  • Melbourne 47-27 with a free kick to Oliver in the centre square with 7 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. You would expect us to end up 5 goals down at half time most times with game effectively over. Getting back to 46-47 in the next 5 minutes on the back of stoppage wins.
  • Kicked 13.7 (although missed a few very gettable ones) - means we're probably getting easier looks in general.

Negatives
  • Conceding goals in the last minute in 2 quarters.
  • Few kicks out of the backline just not quite good enough. Had players out but a loopy kick gave Melbourne enough time to pressure and spoil out of bounds
  • Went to Rosas when we needed a spark out of the middle. He started the centre bounce after Gawn's free goal. Melbourne went to Harmes who had immediate impact. Tsitas came on and did nothing I'm afraid. Surely we have some more planning that Rosas who would have done virtually no training in that position I would imagine. He gave away a free kick.

Missed opportunities
  • Lemmens miss 35m directly in front
  • Berry overkicks running toward the 50, goes over a free Casboult's head and out of bounds
  • Berry doesn't make the distance from set shot 42m out, Lukosius snaps into the post from 3m out.
  • Chol dropped mark from Rosas kick inside 50. Shot on goal from 45m on his wrong side goes begging
  • King shot from 40m out, slight angle doesn't make the distance.
  • DMac misses the game tying shot from 40m out directly in front.

Umpiring
  • The Chol mark not given in 1st quarter = Grundy goal
  • The Lukosius 50m for half a step over = Jordan goal. Probably there to the letter of the law but tough. Examples in the same game otherwise ignored.
  • Fritsch front on ctonact to Long not given - Pickett goal
  • Collins 50 against Petty was pretty soft
  • The Hunter holding the ball leading to Ellis goal was soft
  • The free goal to Gawn for King hit on Petty.. wouldn't say it was an umpiring error. Silly from Ben, deceptive from Petty.
  • Rosas mark not paid, play rolls on and Noah kicks one from the square.
Umpiring - Swallow and Chol no-calls at the end of the game were the worst blunders for me.

I watched the game again today to see if the memory was as good as I thought.
It pretty much was.
I saw when Ballard went off and Lukosius moved defence to cover.
I thought, "I don't remember that happening. We did better than we should have."
Our leading intercept marking defender off the ground and our best delivering forward moves back for the last 10 minutes of the game.
And we still only lost by 5 points.
If Ballard stays on we win easily in my opinion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back