Review Round 8 vs St Kilda @ Metricon Stadium (08.05.21 - 1:45pm)

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Goldcoast-vs-St-Kilda.png

2021 AFL Season
Round 8
Gold Coast FC vs Saint Kilda
Metricon Stadium, Nerang, Queensland
May 8th 2021 - 1:45pm Australian Eastern Standard Time

It's time for Kingbowl II
lets go​

Last edited:

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
Win = Into the 8 !!!! Cmon boys, Saints' don't travel well

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Win = Into the 8 !!!! Cmon boys, Saints' don't travel well
I can do you one better. We'll be in the top 8 in a few hours from if Port Adelaide beat the Lions by three or more goals. Even better, we should stay in the top 8 for at least the week if Fremantle beat West Coast tomorrow :)

Does Zac Smith come into the equation for this one? Should we make him the sub just in case? Ryder and Marshall are very capable ruckmen...

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
I can do you one better. We'll be in the top 8 in a few hours from if Port Adelaide beat the Lions by three or more goals. Even better, we should stay in the top 8 for at least the week if Fremantle beat West Coast tomorrow :)

Does Zac Smith come into the equation for this one? Should we make him the sub just in case? Ryder and Marshall are very capable ruckmen...
Zac seems to not be ready just yet, and hard to drop anyone. May just have to back the same squad yet again

King/Membrey - Ballard/Farrar
Marshall/Ryder - Collins/Graham

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I’m again declaring this as Not a mini GF sorry.
Im still keen on seeing what other Farrar’s we have in the Reserves.
Ainsworth is such a disappointment, could we bring in someone for him???

We are still testing maturity.

I just want to see whether our blokes can come back home to us long suffering Golf Coast loyal fans and do a 4 quarter effort for 3 weeks in a row.

We’ve had games like this in the past where we’ve been bitterly disappointing at home just when we think we might be into something.

So let’s see effort.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Again, hard to change a team that did that. Lads in the 2s might have to keep waiting. Atkins, Sexton, Fiorini and Brodie all on the outside looking in. Only one that could possibly change would be Ainsworth who had a rough day, but even then he took some good marks and competed well.

Stick with the same team while they are winning. This team will look even better with Rowell in after the bye.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Could probably swap him for sexton

Yeah I’m looking more to see what we have that hasn’t played first grade yet. I’m very keen to discover during this period of high injuries if there’s another gem like Farrar waiting to be given his chance to shine.
Also I think Ainsworth needs the wake up call.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Only one that could possibly change would be Ainsworth who had a rough day, but even then he took some good marks and competed well.
No-one works harder than Ben-and you have to be at the ground to appreciate that.I hope it clicks for him.One of the dilemmas with the medical emergency is someone like Sexton who's obviously been dropped for deficiencies doesn't get a chance to work on them in the VFL

Corkie

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast United
Josh Corbett should never miss another game again

What a difference it makes to have a forward with bucket hands.

No-one works harder than Ben-and you have to be at the ground to appreciate that.I hope it clicks for him.One of the dilemmas with the medical emergency is someone like Sexton who's obviously been dropped for deficiencies doesn't get a chance to work on them in the VFL

And our VFL team have the bye next week so can't even drop Sexton for some game time. Could be 3-weeks straight for Sexton without match fitness.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Couple of notable things this year
Dave Swallow is improving game by game and his 2021 stats in the important columns are as good if not better than his career averages.Those calling for his head are well short.
Kicking.When Dew arrived I though thank god, finally a coach who built his reputation in many ways on his elite kicking has arrived and our club's addiction to hacked disposal might be over.I saw very little evidence of it in the first couple of seasons, but to watch us now, some of our field kicking is a joy.In my opinion this is the key to unlock the swarming defences and our speed with runners over the back is taking advantage of the improvement in our disposal

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I know I need Mr bods permission. But in my eyes this is a MINI GRAND FINAL!
Win this, and the season is right on track.

Unchanged team please.
Have to agree. We can get on an equal ledger of 4 wins/4 losses with a win over the Saints and really set ourselves up to have a shot at the F word in the second half of the season with Rowelly back in the line up.

I think someone estimated we need at least five wins before the round 12 bye to have a shot at qualifying. We currently have three wins and our next four opponents before the BYE are St Kilda (home), Brisbane (home), Geelong (away) and Hawthorn (Darwin). The Hawks game is the obvious one we should be winning and you'd have to say St Kilda is the next most winnable of the other three fixtures. Wins against Brisbane or Geelong would just be bonuses.

Therefore, winning the St Kilda game this coming Saturday is very important for our season prospects and for that reason I am also going to say this is a MINI GRAND FINAL!

Corkie

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast United
Yeah I’m looking more to see what we have that hasn’t played first grade yet. I’m very keen to discover during this period of high injuries if there’s another gem like Farrar waiting to be given his chance to shine.
Also I think Ainsworth needs the wake up call.

Sexton is the obvious choice. Possibly Sexton in, Ainsworth the sub.

When Elijah Hollands has recovered from injury though, he is the one I'm super keen to see debut. Rosas is another they might look at soon. Jeffries as well but not doing enough yet in the reserves. All play a similar half forward role to Ainsworth.

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Have to agree. We can get on an equal ledger of 4 wins/4 losses with a win over the Saints and really set ourselves up to have a shot at the F word in the second half of the season with Rowelly back in the line up.

I think someone estimated we need at least five wins before the round 12 bye to have a shot at qualifying. We currently have three wins and our next four opponents before the BYE are St Kilda (home), Brisbane (home), Geelong (away) and Hawthorn (Darwin). The Hawks game is the obvious one we should be winning and you'd have to say St Kilda is the next most winnable of the other three fixtures. Wins against Brisbane or Geelong would just be bonuses.

Therefore, winning the St Kilda game this coming Saturday is very important for our season prospects and for that reason I am also going to say this is a MINI GRAND FINAL!
If the cats can beat eagles by 97 then lose to the swans who lost by 40 the week before

Anything is possible, especially at home! bring on the saints

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Couple of notable things this year
Dave Swallow is improving game by game and his 2021 stats in the important columns are as good if not better than his career averages.Those calling for his head are well short.
Kicking.When Dew arrived I though thank god, finally a coach who built his reputation in many ways on his elite kicking has arrived and our club's addiction to hacked disposal might be over.I saw very little evidence of it in the first couple of seasons, but to watch us now, some of our field kicking is a joy.In my opinion this is the key to unlock the swarming defences and our speed with runners over the back is taking advantage of the improvement in our disposal
I was one of those calling for Dave’s head in the early part of the season, and I think for good reason. However I have to admit he is improving week by week at the moment and looks like a player we all hoped he would be. More than happy to admit when I’m wrong assuming this for continues

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If the cats can beat eagles by 97 then lose to the swans who lost by 40 the week before

Anything is possible, especially at home! bring on the saints
No doubt. You're never really confident when your team has to play away at Kardinia Park though. Having said that, I'd love to see our first ever win at the Cattery in a few weeks from now!

Sexton is the obvious choice. Possibly Sexton in, Ainsworth the sub.

When Elijah Hollands has recovered from injury though, he is the one I'm super keen to see debut. Rosas is another they might look at soon. Jeffries as well but not doing enough yet in the reserves. All play a similar half forward role to Ainsworth.
If I'm not mistaken, Rosas was named as an emergency for our AFL side this week so that's probably a good indication that he was close to getting a call up. He was pretty quiet against the Pies in the VFL though so he probably won't get called up to the senior team next week, as evidenced by Murtagh's strong performance against the Dogs reserves followed up by a quiet game against the Swans reserves and being kept in the VFL for the Magpies game.

Sexton in and Ainsworth the sub probably makes the most sense if Benny's form is a concern. I'm 50/50 on whether I'd like Zac Smith to play but there's an old adage in sports that you don't mess with a winning team in good form and therefore there's a part of me that thinks the best way to approach this game is with an almost identical team to the one that smashed Sydney and beat Collingwood convincingly.

Back