Preview Round 8, Western Bulldogs vs Brisbane Lions, Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you look at the teams we are going in extremely tall compared to the Dogs, one of the changes for them was a tall out ie. Tim English, and I thought we had one too many tall's before the team announcement.

A bit worried they might run us off our feet, and that we may find match ups a bit of a problem. Hopefully I'm wrong and we find them out with our height and marking ability.
Agreed it seem a bit tall for me and would have hoped for one out and a bit more run. But hopefully as you say we can dominate in the air and keep it off them. Need the three talls to do a lot of marking up either wing.

Also agree Martin should dominate the ruck as will O when he goes in there. Hopefully we can be a bit smarter than some guys when they have no opposition. Dont keep tapping it straight down. Over the back, whack it long, etc. Keep changing it up

We swap Allison for Robertson. No measurable loss of pace there and probably added some needed grunt. As for the height issue, happy to have the advantage at Etihad where a long bomb to a resting ruckman can be a weapon. Dogs aren't the speedy team they used to be anyway so we will have them covered in pace and height.

We swap Allison for Robertson. No measurable loss of pace there and probably added some needed grunt. As for the height issue, happy to have the advantage at Etihad where a long bomb to a resting ruckman can be a weapon. Dogs aren't the speedy team they used to be anyway so we will have them covered in pace and height.

Dogs are pretty tall down back with Young, Naughton and Cordy. It’s Andrews and Eagles playing on more agile forwards which worries me.

I wouldn’t have played Eagles or McInerney and kept Cameron deep. Could kick 10. Not sure if the bulldogs have a good match up for him.

Hoping we aren’t going in too tall.. won’t be surprised to see Trengrove come in at the last second.

What has Matho done wrong? Bloke can’t break into the team.

Matho was rubbish when he was in the team and has done little in the reserves.

Great; Leigh Fisher :rolleyes:

We’re bound to get reamed by the umps on Saturday night. Never have I seen us not be on the end of dodgy umpiring when Leigh Fisher is officiating.

Is he the one that used to play for the saints and hates the Lions or the one who used to work for us and hates the Lions?

Feeling super positive about how we are going at the minute. Having said that, this weekend is the biggest game for us so far this season. I honestly think man for man we have the better footballers than them. A poor performance this weekend will be a bit harder to take than previous weeks considering this is a very winnable game. Lions by 8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just read through the thread on this game over on the dogs board ...

I enjoyed the bits where some were worried about
- our accuracy on goal
- our speed
-our spread
- our ruck

I am used to the fourth one but when was the last time a team was worried about our speed, spread and accuracy?

Just read through the thread on this game over on the dogs board ...

I enjoyed the bits where some were worried about
- our accuracy on goal
- our speed
-our spread
- our ruck

I am used to the fourth one but when was the last time a team was worried about our speed, spread and accuracy?

SeatingAr1eas.jpg

“Brisbane Lions VIC-based members and supporters with general admission entry can sit together in the 'Lions Only' area located on Level 3 at Etihad Stadium between Aisles 41-42 on Level 3.

Members wishing to upgrade their GA membership and purchase a Level 1 seat can do so directly through Ticketmaster. A Lions-Only area has been reserved on Level 1 next to the cheer squad at the Bourke Street end of the stadium.

Alternatively, you can check the availability of other seating areas around the stadium via Ticketmaster.”

I see that the Club is trying to get us to all sit together at the Footscray game, but wonder why we are being directed to substandard seats. I went to check out the suggested seating when I went to the St.Kilda game and it started six or so rows from the front on level 3. On the opposite wing, which is also General Admission you can sit in far superior seats, right at the front in Level 3. Here is a picture from that vantage.

View attachment 494831

Plenty of Brisbane supporters over this side and a better view.
And you bump into Bigfooty members like me

Agreed it seem a bit tall for me and would have hoped for one out and a bit more run. But hopefully as you say we can dominate in the air and keep it off them. Need the three talls to do a lot of marking up either wing.

Also agree Martin should dominate the ruck as will O when he goes in there. Hopefully we can be a bit smarter than some guys when they have no opposition. Dont keep tapping it straight down. Over the back, whack it long, etc. Keep changing it up
Remember Keating and MacDonald smashing it forward in last quarters and Aker etc running onto it. Great days

I am confident of a win this week as we match up pretty well against the dogs but in the back of my mind history tells me following a promising performance one week .....the next week we are shite. I hope this is the start of a new history .

I am confident of a win this week as we match up pretty well against the dogs but in the back of my mind history tells me following a promising performance one week .....the next week we are shite. I hope this is the start of a new history .
The dawn of a new era.
Especially after we beat Hawthorne and Sydney the 2 weeks following.
Just you wait and see.

We need to start better. Haven't won a first quarter yet. On the other hand, if we are with them at three quarter time I would back us to win. Dogs have only won a single last quarter all year; we have won 3.

The dawn of a new era.
Especially after we beat Hawthorne and Sydney the 2 weeks following.
Just you wait and see.
If that's the case I'll drag the Finals thread back out on Saturday when we win.:)
If we go in unchanged it could be seen as a game changer if we win ,with our number of talls in, considering its Etihad and the Dogs.
Pretty happy with the selection as it is, its the way we want to play and still plenty of toe in our side .
Can see the big O getting another goal and Lewy and CC getting lashings of crumbs .
Just hope the Dogs don't have this thing still where they just drop the ball all the time and get away with it, its a disgrace to the game.

I was hopeful early in the week about this game. Dogs haven't been in great nick this year. Getting less hopeful as time goes on though. The Lions-fan Malaise seeping in. Team selection has me moderately concerned.

I don't think its that we're too tall, it's that we're too tall in defence. Set the forward structure you want to play to, but set the defensive lineup to combat the forwards who'll be on the ground. We've got McStay and Andrews listed on the ground, and Eagles listed on the bench. It's not too bad, provided that McStay starts and stays forward. If we go three talls forward, no problems - they have two young/inexperienced key backs, and could struggle to stop us if the forwards stay out of each others' way. If there's any week just to bomb it onto their heads, this is it. On the defensive end, we'd remain fairly versatile. Andrews is just a gun, Gardiner can match small without issue, and Eagles might be able to as well, and if not, he gets to just be a wrecking ball.

Actually, come to think of it, we could end up playing a very physical defensive game. Gardiner, Robertson, Eagles, Hodge. None of these guys are exactly shrinking violets. If they coordinate well and play to their strengths, and if Hodge feels like a run, we could rough up their forward line a bit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back