Preview Round 9 – Gold Coast Suns vs GWS Giants, Sunday 2nd August 2020, Metricon Stadium, 3.35pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
I’ve said it before, but I really hope Toby Greene has at least one premiership medallion by the time his career comes to an end. His performance against Richmond last night shows why.

Toby’s brilliance aside, match statistics for the team make interesting reading. We won the disposals, handballs, kicks, all the clearances (except hit-outs), contested and uncontested possessions, tackles and marks in general, and one percenters. We even won the free kick count.o_O

Yet the game seemed much closer, probably because we really got done on the inside 50 count again, with them having more scoring shots. We were just more efficient.

Curiously, we made hardly any tackles inside 50, which seems odd, because during that second quarter, our defence was on the receiving end of 17 out of 18 incursions. But all those inside 50s resulted in only one goal to Richmond; we just managed to hang on. Can’t get more of a contrast to the GF.

A special mention to TT. I was sitting on the boundary, right in front of where Martin cleaned him up with that thumping tackle, and everyone felt it. I think Himmelberg copped similar treatment later on and limped off; they’ll both be feeling it over the next few days. Whatever else is said, we certainly earned the win.

We now get an eight-day break before taking on Gold Coast at Metricon next Sunday, in what be almost certainly be the match of the round. They last beat us in 2014 and it’s been one-way traffic since then, but they’re a far more difficult proposition this time.

I’m not sure about changes to the team. Williams and Kennedy should be available, but who would they replace? It’s hard because we’re unfamiliar with what sort of Gold Coast outfit we’re up against. Jacobs performed OK in place of Mumford so he will probably stay. I’m not sure about Keeffe; we might need a bit of extra leg speed.

Questions are being asked as to whether we are playing a sustainable brand of football, but I’m more concerned about mental preparation. It was obvious we were “on” for the Tigers, but will we be “on” for the Suns? I’m also concerned at the length of the break because our history after extended time off isn’t good, although that has to be balanced against them coming off an even longer break.

We won every quarter against Richmond, and can’t ask for more than that, but what we can ask for is consistent effort like that on Sunday week – and every week.

Changes?

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
See this as a 50/50 game and at the Suns home ground it will need another step up with the Suns a different team from the last 5 years of games

Hoping to see improved ball movement and more F50 entries, Davis and Haynes to control the defensive 50, mids to dominate the contested ball and the tall forwards to click

This will renew my faith and maybe some others that the team can go deep in the finals

Not sure of any changes from the game as this is a 8 day break into a 5 day break and with only Williams back in that time maybe Hately gets another game or Green if a change is needed with Lloyd not really offering much

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Keefe stays in for me, defensively has been outstanding since coming in. The 50 against Bris was unacceptable at AFL level but other than that I can't fault him. I'm wondering if we should use Zac on a wing or half fwd till he games under his belt. Replacing Langdon would be my choice. Jacobs to stay in.

Keefe stays in for me, defensively has been outstanding since coming in. The 50 against Bris was unacceptable at AFL level but other than that I can't fault him.
He admits he's not allowed to pass the ball back now in his interview with Davis. ;)

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Williams should slot back in straight away. Our two big issues seem to be:
A- keeling the ball in the forward 50. Daniels seems the only one applying pressure when the ball is up there
B- def transition. We keep getting torn up with a def transition. This is actually a strength of GC so we need a midfield unit at full strength with accountability to combat them

I think Langdon is under pressure for his spot atm and he should be the only change for Williams to come in. I think we will see Williams play all three, half back, wing and forward to create run and pressure.
Other than that, keep the settled team as much as possible imo

Langdon was very lucky to keep his spot after his first game.
With or without Williams back, can't see how he holds out the others. Too many basic errors.
Hately and Tom Green will be in conversations for sure.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Langdon was very lucky to keep his spot after his first game.
With or without Williams back, can't see how he holds out the others. Too many basic errors.
Hately and Tom Green will be in conversations for sure.
In theory he is one of the better options for forward pressure we have. It’s not really matching reality tho

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Zac looked fantastic in his first season - applied pressure as well as scoring goals. Really disappointed with his injuries woes last year. Looked forward to him battling with Binga & Bobby for a small forward spot this year, and he appeared to look pretty good in pre-season ... but just hasn't clicked in the season proper.

I would tend to swap him for Zac Williams in this game: let Zac W hustle and bustle in the F50 for a game or two to rebuild his tank before swapping him into the backline. He can have a run through the middle or the backline a couple of times.

With the game, we simply need to win. If we lose, we drop off the trailing pack, and will find it hard to get back (even if we ebventually find some form!).

Mumford's obviously a certainty to come back in.

Hard to leave either Williams or Ward out either.

In: Mumford, Williams, Ward
Out: Jacobs, Lloyd, Ash/Caldwell (mind you neither deserves to go)
Think Langdon goes before either of Ash or Caldwell

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
No team announcement tillSsaturday due to below

Shaw Davis Haynes
Williams Keefe Perryman
Whitfield Coniglio Kelly
Greene Cameron MDB
Daniels HH Langdon
Jacobs Taranto Hopper
Caldwell TOJ Corr Ash

I think they will play it safe with Ward and Langdon still has a spot but on shaky ground and will need to increase his pressure and also effective tackles

With the changes in the season team announcements are also different and this is at the bottom of todays team announcement on the AFL website

Teams for the remaining round nine matches will be released at 6.20pm AEST the day before they kick off

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I can see us rotating sauce and mummy as we have shortened breaks given the packed schedule. I’m ok with that.
But sauce would be my first choice

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
With Ward playing the scratch match yesterday it looks like Williams for Lloyd will be the only change unless they mix up the rucks but I think some continuity will be good and both Jacobs and the mids will improve connection with another game together

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back