Autopsy Round 9, 2017: Swans vs Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry guys but I think that Newnes come in head first whilst Mills turned early.

At the point of contact Newnes was reasonably straight, but slightly towards their goal, Newnes got spun around, 75-90% turn, so the head to bum shot was several frames later.

Newnes is a fool by leading with his head. Has played 100 games and playing for a free.

Mills is in the same position as Hannebery was a couple of years ago. Perfect example of protection himself but still going hard for the ball.

No charge. Can't or shouldn't charged for stupid play by the other player.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

At the point of contact he was not reasonably straight. Newnes turned prior to contact there was never any front on head contact. And head contact was incidental made as the bodies hit side on. Mills hit continued Newnes turn until it was level body wise but any suggestion he was hit straight on is laughable Mills2.jpg

Wow, shocked we're even discussing this. He should be absolutely no chance at being suspended. He approached the ball with perfection and how we were trained growing up. Approach it with speed and turn your body so your hip and shoulder take the impact. Newnes' technique wasn't too bad, he was just second to the ball and unlucky he copped the hit in the wrong spot. The second screenshot shows Mills is already over the ball and had it protected.

If that's a suspension then the AFL is encouraging players not to protect themselves.

The really amazing thing about this season is that absolutely no team is invulnerable. (We sort of went a bit too hard proving that point in Rounds 1-6 of course.) Very difficult to find any teams who are 100% a cut above all the others.
Just to prove my point, 11th placed Bombers currently leading 4th placed Eagles by the best part of 11 goals.

Wow, shocked we're even discussing this. He should be absolutely no chance at being suspended. He approached the ball with perfection and how we were trained growing up. Approach it with speed and turn your body so your hip and shoulder take the impact. Newnes' technique wasn't too bad, he was just second to the ball and unlucky he copped the hit in the wrong spot. The second screenshot shows Mills is already over the ball and had it protected.

If that's a suspension then the AFL is encouraging players not to protect themselves.

Shouldn't be discussing this but a Saints supporter stating he was hit front on is just wron diddily ong

Papley was the epitome of a downhill skier: absent when the game was there to be won, but starred in the final quarter when it was all over. A bit like the last time I saw him, at the MCG in September (minus the positive last quarter).

Hope you didn't actually watch the game because if you did you have no idea. His pressure around the ball, chasing and tackling in the forward half was hardly the trait of a dowhhill skier.:rolleyes:

At the point of contact he was not reasonably straight. Newnes turned prior to contact there was never any front on head contact. And head contact was incidental made as the bodies hit side on. Mills hit continued Newnes turn until it was level body wise but any suggestion he was hit straight on is laughableView attachment 372967
Yes Banyo but Newnes left himself open because his head is still more in front then his hip.

Mills leads with his hip. Better technique by Mills.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

It wasn't a great day to be a Saints fan, your mob dished up a harsh reality check to our team.

Good luck for the rest of the season, that said I hope we can return the favour in Sydney in 8 or so weeks. Lol.

A mate of mine wrote this 5 take away piece for the game if you are interested.

https://aussiefootyforums.com/news/sports/aussie-rules/5-things-we-learned-st-kilda-v-sydney

It wasn't a great day to be a Saints fan, your mob dished up a harsh reality check to our team.

Good luck for the rest of the season, that said I hope we can return the favour in Sydney in 8 or so weeks. Lol.

A mate of mine wrote this 5 take away piece for the game if you are interested.

https://aussiefootyforums.com/news/sports/aussie-rules/5-things-we-learned-st-kilda-v-sydney

Tell your mate I gave that write up 5 stars (with extra credit for use of the word Portmanteau). :p

If Papley is a downhill skier than what is Buddy? When the game was in the balance he, if I recall correctly, had kicked no goals, had kicked into the man on the mark, asked for the ball off Sam Reid after a mark in range while flat-footed and near his opponent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Although melican is holding his own, aliir brings alot more to the table, he is more versitile and far more attacking. Yet to really see a player thoroughly beat aliir, its his own personal mistakes that cost him. He needs to be in the team to learn and mature as a player
Aliir's job in the next part of the season is very simple as far as I'm concerned & that is to keep Melican in form as it's Melican's position yo lose & Aliir's to get back. Melican's rise in our team reminds me an awful lot of the way Alex Johnson grabbed his chance & never looked back until tragedy struck him.
So work hard Aliir & next time don't let go when given a chance.

None of the countless media shows post the game have discussed the Mills/Newnes clash for one reason.

Both of the players approached that contest in exactly the right way when there is a free ball between two players.

Both went hard, put their head over the ball and turned and braced to ensure that contact was made on the side.

When the AFL produce their annual rules video this clash will be shown as text book on how both players approached the ball.

Aliir's job in the next part of the season is very simple as far as I'm concerned & that is to keep Melican in form as it's Melican's position yo lose & Aliir's to get back. Melican's rise in our team reminds me an awful lot of the way Alex Johnson grabbed his chance & never looked back until tragedy struck him.
So work hard Aliir & next time don't let go when given a chance.
Aliir's absence from the firsts has nothing to do with his football on the field. He is clearly a better player than Melican - faster and more skilful. Takes pack marks and initiates rebounds. As for Melican being an Alex Johnson he has a long way to go. So far he has been compared to Craig Bolton and AJ. He has just done OK. Personally he reminds me of Laurie Nash.

Aliir's absence from the firsts has nothing to do with his football on the field. He is clearly a better player than Melican - faster and more skilful. Takes pack marks and initiates rebounds. As for Melican being an Alex Johnson he has a long way to go. So far he has been compared to Craig Bolton and AJ. He has just done OK. Personally he reminds me of Laurie Nash.
That'll do!
He'll never be dropped again.

It was a blow to the head , Newnes played no further part in the game , concussion. Didn't you see him lying on the ground not moving ? Newnes didn't turn , got hit flush on the top of his head going for the ball , no malice but I've seen less get suspended. In all fairness though I hope he doesn't get suspended was just one of those things .

Sent via HAL
Refer to Hanners on Hurley of Essendon a few years back where both players were over the ball at the same time. Hanners turned the body & Hurley didn't & was hit in the head. Both players went low. One player forgot to to turn side on early enough. Classic training drill.
No case to answer.

Aliir's absence from the firsts has nothing to do with his football on the field. He is clearly a better player than Melican - faster and more skilful. Takes pack marks and initiates rebounds.
Selection committee clearly disagree.

Everyone complaining about the open roof clearly weren't at the game, after a dreary week in Melbourne was just nice to see some blue sky. It's a weird, soulless atmosphere in that place with the roof shut in the day time, it actually felt like a football ground with it open.

Oh, and it was nice to get the win too :)
Shithouse city with terrible weather and worse footy clubs mate. It's glorious sunshine day in day out up here. Still shirts and shorts weather.

On CPH1607 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back