Review Round 9, 2018 - Brisbane Lions vs. Hawthorn

Who were your five best players against Hawthorn?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rosscoe_666

Debutant
Dec 6, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
Rewatching the game, I figured out why Charlie passed off to the skipper. After the crappy run he got from the umps all day, and us not getting any 50-50s, he probably reckoned he'd be put in row 14 for the kick.

Great to see my boy Matt Eagles doing well. His goalkeeping late in the last quarter was inspirational, and the trail of broken bodies left by his "see ball, go for ball" style is something all other teams will worry about.

On a final point .... am I the only one who thinks Robbo's "accidental trip" wasn't looked at at all, simply because he got Sicily in a great act of public service?

While sometimes his commentating is just outright ridiculous, I had no problem with the way he simply called the game on Sunday. Glowing praise is always nice to hear about the club as well.

Who *was* that well reasoned intelligent likeable fellow wearing the BT suit?

HowYouDoin

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Real Madrid
BT "I would go and watch them play every day of the week..."

"And in three year's time when they are scheduled for free to air again, I will."

Honestly, i don't mind the seldom inclusion of fta games for us. After all, we've been garbage for 8 or so years; however, what frustrates me is clubs like Carlton (who have equally been as garbage as we have) being rewarded with a multitude of fta games. * off

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Honestly, i don't mind the seldom inclusion of fta games for us. After all, we've been garbage for 8 or so years; however, what frustrates me is clubs like Carlton (who have equally been as garbage as we have) being rewarded with a multitude of fta games. **** off
We haven't been entirely garbage for 8 years. And the rubbish reason for Carlton's exposure is because of their status as a "big club". Whilst that may wash as a ratings excuse, the idea of the national competition is to grow the game. That means we should be as entitled to exposure to the Victorian market, as any other team. Whilst it doesn't affect you and I, because Brisbane FTA TV shows every game live, it does * all for our Victorian supporters and even less in terms of growing that followship. However it irks us, Victoria is the heartland of footy, and the more exposure we get on this building journey, the more chance we have of growing our membership and following.
No-one should be okay with our "seldom inclusion" of Seven covered games.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Finally got to sit down and watch the replay. I don't think I can recall us playing that well since probably 2009. It was an extremely well rounded game from our forwards, mids and backs. McCluggage in particular was unbelievable. He reminds me of Blacky.

Was very much like Black last night.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

A fair bit was made of the heat factor on Hawthorn by the MMM commentary with Carey etc..hopefully they weren't slowed down that much..they did look stationary in the second half.

Clug just stood out in that draft to me with having the extra little bit of time,you don't see it too much.But you never know if they will fit in the system.I guess taking notes in team meetings probably answers that.

Rewatching the game, I figured out why Charlie passed off to the skipper. After the crappy run he got from the umps all day, and us not getting any 50-50s, he probably reckoned he'd be put in row 14 for the kick.

At the ground the way the screens seemed to present it the kick Charlie marked was touched off the boot but I haven't watched the replay. That wasn't the case?

Mar 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Bruins, Dodgers, Bulls, SEM Phoenix
At the ground the way the screens seemed to present it the kick Charlie marked was touched off the boot but I haven't watched the replay. That wasn't the case?
Looked more like he thought he marked it outside the square and was going to be out on the boundary line.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hey guys. I have a big soft spot for Brisbane. I have almost no other soft spots for non Hawthorn teams. Could be a threepeat thing...

In truth lived in Fitzroy for eleven years including your good time and it was fun seeing Essendon’s finest team ever in the history of the entire world be destroyed by Lethal Leigh. The defeat of the Pies even better

Hated how s**t we were on the weekend but what a win for you guys. Good luck! Hope it’s the first of many

PS: Love Hodgey and Fages and hang tight - you’ll get there

Was a bit surprised how many Hawthorn fans jeered Hodge when he missed a target early. Maybe it was the supporter version of white line fever but I’d expected the game would be a bit of a love in with respect to Hodge. Not saying all their supporters did it but it was a substantial minority, at least.

Was a bit surprised how many Hawthorn fans jeered Hodge when he missed a target early. Maybe it was the supporter version of white line fever but I’d expected the game would be a bit of a love in with respect to Hodge. Not saying all their supporters did it but it was a substantial minority, at least.

I could have sworn I saw the Hawks cheer squad clap Hodge when he had a kick. I thought it was quite classy at the time but I may not have realised it was a jeer. Damn my faith in humanity!

I could have sworn I saw the Hawks cheer squad clap Hodge when he had a kick. I thought it was quite classy at the time but I may not have realised it was a jeer. Damn my faith in humanity!
As I said, it wasn’t everyone and may not have even been half. I don’t really pay attention to the cheer squads so don’t know what they did.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Finally getting around to reading our match thread from the Hawks game.

Gee the first 8 or so pages make some of our supporters look like reactionary, defeatist twits.

Looking forward to the “eat Crow” part of the thread.

Only had a chance to watch the whole game last night and came on here to vote. Think I was going to vote for the same top 5 anyway

Wanted to see if I could squeeze Rayner in for a vote but seems like I'd almost be alone on that. He looked to be one of our best in the 1st quarter with a lot of heavy bumps and 'late' tackles and followed up nicely in the 2nd quarter. BS he's a 1st year player, he was knocking lots of experienced players around in the centre square.

Only had a chance to watch the whole game last night and came on here to vote. Think I was going to vote for the same top 5 anyway

Wanted to see if I could squeeze Rayner in for a vote but seems like I'd almost be alone on that. He looked to be one of our best in the 1st quarter with a lot of heavy bumps and 'late' tackles and followed up nicely in the 2nd quarter. BS he's a 1st year player, he was knocking lots of experienced players around in the centre square.

Dropped a couple of sitters in the last, tho. Right when we needed the momentum.

Back