Review Round 9, 2018 - Brisbane Lions vs. Hawthorn

Who were your five best players against Hawthorn?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as Buddy is a freak, they are more predictable with him in, if Andrews can stop his impact we are arguably better off. With him out they change it up a lot more and are fairly multi dimensional.

As much as Buddy is a freak, they are more predictable with him in, if Andrews can stop his impact we are arguably better off. With him out they change it up a lot more and are fairly multi dimensional.

You're 100%. Thet aren't impossible to beat. If our zone defense can hold up we can win. Won't be easy for either team. Sydney will not take is lightly. We smashed a team they nearly lost to the week before.

You're 100%. Thet aren't impossible to beat. If our zone defense can hold up we can win. Won't be easy for either team. Sydney will not take is lightly. We smashed a team they nearly lost to the week before.

Key is expectations and control throughout this week, history would suggest that we are in for a massive let down on Saturday. Even if we don't win, it would be a huge sign of maturity if we backed it up with another really competitive effort.

I also think it was a poor performance by Clarkson in the coaching box. I don't mean to take anything away from Fages and co because we were coached equally as well but - we are pretty easy to stop if you take some simple measures. You just cannot let us get our overlap going. Almost every other team has hung back and made sure there was always a number behind the ball because we are very hard to stop once we get our tail up...

Agree, I was surprised that the Hawks played a soft brand of possession football, which rarely moved quickly up the field. They were probably too confident and couldn't re-adjust to our game. It also helped that they had six ins.

Just watched the replay, wow we just smashed them in the 2nd half. They still had plenty of the ball, but never looked like doing anything dangerous with it at any point. I can't remember the last time we played that well against a side so far above us on the ladder, it's probably been 5 years. Apart from our poor start we did everything right in that game.

It's also so good is it to see what Hipwood can do when he goes up against average key defenders, he's still got a lot of work to do but it's a lot easier for him when he's not being held out of it by quality key defenders every week. Brand had no idea what to do with him.

The Hawks didn't have the quality cattle to turn things around. They will find it difficult to make finals this year and into the future.
Will be interesting for the Hawks moving forward. Will lose a few more senior players next year so will need to keep buying in players based on their current regrowth philosophy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a few points that people may want to comment on.

The first is Martin's game. Once again he won his position, which was to be expected because he has only lowered his colours once (to Gawn) this season. I have never seen a ruckman who has beaten his opponent eight out of nine games. His disposal will never be elite but he, if he was playing for a Victorian club, would be a shoe in for All Australian.

Lewy Taylor misses tackles too often. He should have got a free kick when he finally nailed one but I assume the ump didn't want to pay a free right in front of goal (my Hawthorn supporting son thought it was a free kick anywhere on the field but the goal square) or the ump couldn't believe Lewy got the bastard. Lewy has short legs but this shouldn't affect his tackling. The coaches need to improve his technique and strengthen his upper body. This is real coaching. Imagine him buzzing around, being our Rioli!!!!!!!

McStay went missing in the first half, hardly touched it, but looked OK in the second. Once again the coaches need to get him involved more in general play. I like him down back but if he is going to be up forward he needs to cover more ground and get to more contests. I acknowledge he may have a specific role to play, which may limit what he is allowed to do, but twice in the last three weeks he has had 3 to4 disposal halves. He has got too much talent to be so inconsistent.

Unchanged team for the Swans??????? Unchanged for a third week?????????

Yesterday's solid win over the Hawks was the first time I've seen your blokes play this year and only then because I don't have Fox and the WCE vs. Richmond game wasn't free-to-air down here, like quite a lot of yours as well.
At the risk of repeating myself, I loved watching you wear down the Hawks then run over them. Very hard to do!
I was thinking though that your mob didn't look like a team that had lost its first 8 games. Your game style, intensity, skills and commitment will win more games than not, I'd have thought, so I'm compelled to ask, but with respect, why'd it take so long to get that first win, do you think? New coach, new system?

P.S. re:
I got a flat tyre. I only had one of those stupid space saver tyres as a spare and you can’t drive over 80km/h with them on so the drive back to Toowoomba was going to be a slow one.
"Space saver" is dealer BS. Money-saver, more like.
Tip when buying a car --- always check for those kiddy-wheels which are only slightly more useful than an ashtray on a motorbike. I told my dealer that I wasn't going to buy the car unless they got rid of the dinky-toy and put in a real, full-sized spare. They did. They'll also put in additional floor mats and a towbar on, if you negotiate hard enough ;).

Just watched the replay, wow we just smashed them in the 2nd half. They still had plenty of the ball, but never looked like doing anything dangerous with it at any point. I can't remember the last time we played that well against a side so far above us on the ladder, it's probably been 5 years. Apart from our poor start we did everything right in that game.

Last time we beat a top 8 team that comprehensively was Fremantle in Round 12 last year. But they ended up finishing 14th.

Last time we beat a top 5 team by at least two goals was Gold Coast in Round 4, 2016. But they ended up finishing 15th. This isn't really relevant given it was only 13 points, but it's just a bit funny.

Last time we comprehensively beat an at least middle of the road team was Collingwood in Round 21, 2014. They were 9th at the time and finished 11th.

Probably the most recent match for that game, assuming Hawthorn does end up playing finals, would be Round 15, 2009 against Geelong who were 2nd when we beat them by 43 points and went on to finish 2nd. Except we were, you know, good that year.

Let's just say it's been a while.

McStay went missing in the first half, hardly touched it, but looked OK in the second. Once again the coaches need to get him involved more in general play. I like him down back but if he is going to be up forward he needs to cover more ground and get to more contests. I acknowledge he may have a specific role to play, which may limit what he is allowed to do, but twice in the last three weeks he has had 3 to4 disposal halves. He has got too much talent to be so inconsistent.

It's funny but I enjoyed him not making it to contests. In general we set up fairly well with talls not spoiling each other in a nice change. Having McStay crash the pack trying to take a speccy is only to our advantage if the opponent was about to take the mark, otherwise we're unnecessarily committing more resources to the contest who are then effectively taken out of the resulting spillage.

One of Beams or Cutler got 5 votes from one coach and none from the other.
Cutler was great, I hope he can continue to give us the kind of drive we need on the wing on a regular basis. Then there's also the added bonus of Cutler being bigger and more able to stand up in a contest than the average winger.

It's funny but I enjoyed him not making it to contests. In general we set up fairly well with talls not spoiling each other in a nice change. Having McStay crash the pack trying to take a speccy is only to our advantage if the opponent was about to take the mark, otherwise we're unnecessarily committing more resources to the contest who are then effectively taken out of the resulting spillage.
Admittedly I've only watched the replay once but I thought in the second half McStay actually did impose himself on a few contests in a positive way. Caused a couple of useful spillages that I recall in circumstances where we weren't likely to mark it.

Not one bit. Nothing in it
I think Dermie got it about right. Not likely to get rubbed out but he didn't care if he hurt someone, anyone in his way. In most contexts that would be considered careless contact.

Cutler was great, I hope he can continue to give us the kind of drive we need on the wing on a regular basis. Then there's also the added bonus of Cutler being bigger and more able to stand up in a contest than the average winger.
I really liked the fact that when we needed it in the first half Cutler was dropping back and doing a solid job helping out in defence and when we were in the ascendancy he was running hard and really damaging Hawthorn with his offensive play. 26 or so disposals and 3 goals was a great return. As I said in the match thread, he was playing like Tim Notting, with Cutler performing exactly like the type of player we need to round out our list.

Last edited:
Just wondering if one of you fine gentleman/ladies could point me in the direction of a replay. Can't find squat anywhere.

Back