Review Round 9, 2018 - Brisbane Lions vs. Hawthorn

Who were your five best players against Hawthorn?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Eagles is making the most of his chance.

It's kind of like how Astbury at Richmond allows Rance the freedom to be able to run off his opponent and impact play more than most. That's exactly what Eagles is allowing Andrews to do right now and I'm loving it. Andrews has gone to another level.

Eons

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool
Very proud all the hard work is paying off. Hugh had some wow moments that made you realise how good he can be. Cutler was really good, did all the team things and his kicking was a standout.

Hippy started clunking some marks which was great to see, will give him a lot of confidence moving forward. Eagles allows Harris to play to his strengths, very dominant game from him.

Tough game against the Swans but the boys should get a lot of confidence from the yesterday. You could see how much it meant to them all.

Very proud all the hard work is paying off. Hugh had some wow moments that made you realise how good he can be. Cutler was really good, did all the team things and his kicking was a standout.

Hippy started clunking some marks which was great to see, will give him a lot of confidence moving forward. Eagles allows Harris to play to his strengths, very dominant game from him.

Tough game against the Swans but the boys should get a lot of confidence from the yesterday. You could see how much it meant to them all.
To be honest I was a little bit concerned Hugh might not reach the level of excellence that his draft position would have suggested he should. Not now.

Hey not an attack on Bailey I think he’ll be a stud. I noticed in particular getting your arms free when tackled he really struggled with compared to our other young guys who are more consistently able to take the tackle on get there arms free and pass.

i think that’s struggling with the pace/intensity of AFL football where you have to be so fast with your decision making.
It's an interesting one. I was calling for Bailey to be dropped after 2-3 games, just because he was struggling to have complete possessions at the top level (get ball, move/evade, dispose effectively - he was doing 2 out of 3 every time) and I thought that may improve more in the 2s. But they stuck with him, and he's continued to develop well in the 1s. Really getting some valuable possessions for us last 2-3 weeks.

Still got a long way to go of course. As you said - needs more strength to even partially break a tackle. Decision making/vision can improve. Had a fun one yesterday (I think Q2), from a standing start in Fwd 50, accelerated and handballed off to someone in a worse position just after he got past his man. A bit more experience and he'll know when he's got them beat, hold it a little longer and find a better option. If he retains his acceleration and willingness to take the game on though - gee he could be something.

There is a great clip up on the Lions website called “Harris’ team song”.
Or ‘inside the den: team song’.
Great insight into the boys after the game.
Great watch if anyone can link. I can’t at the moment.
It puts you right there with the boys after the game before they go into the change rooms, up the race and in to sing the song. Awesome

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Golden Knights
One person who hasn't got much of a mention in here is Darcy Gardiner. Maybe fair enough with so many standout games though I suppose.

I thought he played rather well too. No silly free kicks, hit all of his targets, plenty of good spoils, dont recall him getting beaten etc. Definitely getting better at picking when to go and when to stay.

Ugh, its BUTLER, wish they'd get our players names right!
TomButler.png

Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots
Great contributions so far. Some things I will add that I don't think have been mentioned.

Probably the best pure rucking game I've seen Stef play. He's not known for hit-outs to advantage but some of his work yesterday, against a decent ruck, was first-class. The Taylor goal to finish the game was obviously the notable example of this.

Zorko really lowered his eyes going forward and we reaped the benefits. I don't think vision is exactly a key strength of his game (not that it's horrible) but he showed a lot of class last night.

Lastly, I think the coaching staff need a bit more credit. The forward line looked diabolical against the Giants, but the Fagan mantra of being patient has paid off. I'll put my hand up and say I thought including Oscar tipped the balance during the GWS game and I would've rectified that immediately. But as Fagan pointed out last night, our pressure has improved with a tall forward line because the F50 entries are more predictable, and thus we have smalls ready to apply pressure when the ball hits the deck. The abundance of talls has also opened the door for Hipwood, who is getting more favourable match-ups.

This applies at the other end of the ground too. The majority were ready to hang Matty Eagles out to dry after the Dogs game, but his presence frees up Harris.

SacksonvilleJags

Team Captain
May 14, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So being I wasn’t at the game...can anyone tell me what Taylor did? He had a few little kicks, handballs (a few missed tackles) and that lovely goal to finish but he was mentioned several times in commentary as protecting the corridor. Can anyone verify this? Also, did he add any pressure off the ball? It just seemed like a very quiet game. Just wondering if he did some good things off the ball?

Same with Raynor but ppl hav already pointed out he was very good off the ball.

Very happy to keep eagles in the team if it allows Harris to float around the way he did! Got a lovely pair of hands that bloke and nice to see hippy hanging on to some marks as well!!!

Gotta love having positive things to say about the team and focusing on what DID work!! Also, reading articles praising the lions on several other websites. Makes a Monday soooooooo much more pleasant.

So being I wasn’t at the game...can anyone tell me what Taylor did? He had a few little kicks, handballs (a few missed tackles) and that lovely goal to finish but he was mentioned several times in commentary as protecting the corridor. Can anyone verify this? Also, did he add any pressure off the ball? It just seemed like a very quiet game. Just wondering if he did some good things off the ball?

Here you go:

One player that probably isn’t up among the best but might deserve more credit is Lewy Taylor, not because of what he did with the ball but what he did when they had it.

There were a number of times when Hawthorn were looking to do what they love, find easy targets to get out of the defensive 50 with their precision kicking. Taylor worked hard to cut off the easy out and it forced them to take the ball out the hard way.

I doubt it showed up on TV or in any stats but he worked so hard on cutting off that route out of defence that the Hawks were looking for. Hard running to zones meant that they were slowed down and couldn’t really get quick transitions.

Tassie4ever

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Hawthorn
A dyed in the wool cynic as I confess I am is usually very hard to impress.

But almost a day later, and having had the benefit of watching the replay, I still have a buzz. It's been a while since the "Lionssss" call rang out around the Gabba but to me it's a thrill, a real thrill when it happens. All the more so since it's so infrequent.

Many of the young blokes, reinforced well by the seniors, just refused to put up with this crap anymore. Bailey, Rayner, McCluggage, the Big O, Harris, Berry, Cutler, Hipwood- come on down. In reality, it is unfair to name some and not all, because that's what it was. All in.

And as a long-term critic of Martin, I happily concede that yesterday he had his best performance of the year. Even Rich occasionally put himself in harm's way.

Another week- should be another unchanged side. We need to back up with a good performance against a perennial yardstick to demonstrate solid progress.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I also think it was a poor performance by Clarkson in the coaching box. I don't mean to take anything away from Fages and co because we were coached equally as well but - we are pretty easy to stop if you take some simple measures. You just cannot let us get our overlap going. Almost every other team has hung back and made sure there was always a number behind the ball because we are very hard to stop once we get our tail up. The Dees played 2 even 3 behind the ball for a lot of the game the dogs last week made sure every long kick down the line or inside 50 we were outnumbered and or there were players goal side. Teams know if you just clog our backline and keep even numbers (even at the expense of your numbers forward) that you will inevitably beat us one on one or at ground level or we will kick it to you. They gave us everything we wanted especially through the corridor. It was a path of very little resistance at times and they let us constantly get goal side, the Swans won't be allowing that to occur, not for a second and that's when Guys like Hipwood need to find a way.

Len S

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
A dyed in the wool cynic as I confess I am is usually very hard to impress.

But almost a day later, and having had the benefit of watching the replay, I still have a buzz. It's been a while since the "Lionssss" call rang out around the Gabba but to me it's a thrill, a real thrill when it happens. All the more so since it's so infrequent.

Many of the young blokes, reinforced well by the seniors, just refused to put up with this crap anymore. Bailey, Rayner, McCluggage, the Big O, Harris, Berry, Cutler, Hipwood- come on down. In reality, it is unfair to name some and not all, because that's what it was. All in.

And as a long-term critic of Martin, I happily concede that yesterday he had his best performance of the year. Even Rich occasionally put himself in harm's way.

Another week- should be another unchanged side. We need to back up with a good performance against a perennial yardstick to demonstrate solid progress.
Agree, Rich is playing on reputation such as it is.Cant stand the way he just un loads the ball anywhere, when contact is happening or about to ,while others stand in the tackle and manage to find a team mate.Provides negligible run off the backline which explains in part, his low possession count.I think Cox,Starcevich and Lyon will get a go before the seasonends.Its hard for our defensive group in the reserves to make a big impact at present given the opposition .

Rich absolutely toweled Breust - hardly played on reputation. He really sacrificed his own game to stop another which is something I can't say I've seen him do all that much.

Last edited:
Franklin got off:

I've watched that a few times and I'm sure buddy was using the swing to connect with a player.

Given the protect the head focus and the fact that a concussion resulted i am a bit surprised he didn't get a least a fine

SacksonvilleJags

Team Captain
May 14, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Here you go:

Thank you dlanod!! I had a feeling he did some good things but yea u don’t see it on tv! It’s nice to hear how many players stepped up and contributed! Even if they didn’t get the stats they put in and we came away with thumping win!
Now they just have to back it up with an equally spirited performance.

Back