Review Round 9, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure there is a single player in neafl with his talent. It's horses for courses. Class is permanent and form is temporary. He is such a confidence player that I support him finding form in the 1s.
I think if you have a situation where you have a couple of players that can play the same role ,one being a younger player with a higher ceiling the other is close to there peak, then you play the younger player . I agree with that 100%. But.
If say Rayner is consistently playing his role below standard , then combine that with others waiting in the reserves that are doing well, how can you justify that to happen.
To say he is a number 1 draft pick as a reason smells of favouritism , sure he has the talent of a no. 1 draft pick ,but that doesn't mean he is bigger than the team.
There is no shame going back to a lower pressure environment to regain your form and working on your game.
When you improve to a point where you are ready ,you come back in.
It works both ways and always should, a player that is dropped to go back and work on his game will only improve if he thinks he will be rewarded , and a player that is underperforming in his role should go back.
I would of thought that would only improve the strength of the squad by making a strong bridge between the reserves and the first team .
The part about the media, who cares , its not about them.

Nope - you get annoyed at this one in one direction, i get annoyed in the other.

In the rules of the game, the same "prior opportunity" rule that applies to holding the ball expressly applies to incorrect disposal. If you get tackled without prior and the ball comes out, according to the rules of the game, that should absolutely be 'play on'. People calling for "ball" and "dropped it" 8 times a minute is one of the more annoying things about live games...
A lot of players now can spill.. throw in a tackle towards teammates. You see it a lot when they get tackled a few made it an art form.
Consistency as well
Some players like Bont have 20 seconds to get rid of it others a nano second.
Some players get high and others no they ducked.
Or in the back or in the side paid as in the back like yesterday pretty sure was Gibbs.
As the umps just want to do play on at all costs they do not blow the whistle on 80%
It is the magic 20% of frees paid which seem to be a lot of the time to profile players. Bont, Tex, Pendles, Ablett, Danger, Gibbs etc etc
Normally you cannot tell why vs another. If you get a run on like the crows or the pies did against us turns a game.

Umps do favour certain high profile players and hopefully we get a few they like soon

I worked at a polling booth all day and only got home about 30 minutes ago.

Not only had to forego attendance at the Gabba to support my boys but was largely cut off from the outside world all day and night.\

I checked once on my Mobile Phone AFL app at 3/4 time and felt optimistic but nervous to see us up by 2 goals.

Checked again about an hour later to find we won by a point.... followed by a bombardment of texts from friends and family

YEEEE-HAAAWWWW!!!!!!!

How sweet it is

GO Lions!!!

I haven't even read any of the game or review threads but what was it with the lopsided free kick count?????

Oh it is sweet, two amazing victories on the same day! Life is great!!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don't understand why the Club keep making excuses for an out of touch player. He needs to find some form in the 2's. Does being the no.1 draft pick exclude him of the opportunity of regaining his confidence at the lower level like other players do?

Yeah, it's a tough one. I don't envy the team selectors at all.

It's annoying the only individual stats that we can see (and perhaps I'm wrong) on the seconds is goals....I've not been able to find anything on tackles, disposals etc. So, dropping Rayner on the basis of poor stats appears a bit disingenuous as a result. With the seconds crushing every team, it's no real surprise the forwards have decent goal tallies.

I'm certainly not suggesting that Rayner deserves his spot next week based off his last month, because that's largely indefensible. But equally, aside from Keays et al kicking goals against weak opposition, it's hard to make a compelling case to drop him in my view given the limited statistical evidence on his likely replacement (goals scored).

I'm not suggesting he should be retained. Nor am I agitating for him to be dropped. I am just going to have faith in the match committee to make the best decision, whatever that might be, presuming that they have more to go on than we do.

Berry played a game of class yesterday. He is as tough as anyone in the comp and dogs in at the bottom of packs to free the ball or lock it up. But he also has the ability to get outside quickly and use the ball well. His aerial ability is improving and he has started to really understand where he needs to be.

He isn’t being mentioned in the same breath as McCluggage...yet.

Berry played a game of class yesterday. He is as tough as anyone in the comp and dogs in at the bottom of packs to free the ball or lock it up. But he also has the ability to get outside quickly and use the ball well. His aerial ability is improving and he has started to really understand where he needs to be.

His marking has been very good this year. He did almost cost us the game with a terrible kick late in the fourth yesterday.

I had Berry above Clug up until this season but McCluggage has taken such a big step forward this year.

Suddenly we have a good crew of Tough nut mids, Berry, Robinson, Mathieson, Zorko with his tackling, Neale got in and under a quite a few times.

Lyons gets lots of tackles too but like Zorko it's mainly because he just trails his opponent at clearances instead of attacking the footy.

No Hodge, no problem. Had the potential to destabilise us down back, but I thought the boys were pretty well organised.
I think your right, the transition is under way. I just wonder in those last 10 minutes how important he could have been in trying to change the momentum s**t to the Crows and what his poise would have been worth to the guys around him.

Watching the Gameday chat thing on AFL.com.au with Kane "Im a fire fighter*" Corners, and he reckons Adelaide should have got a goal review on that second last attempt from Eddie...Reckons it wasnt touched twice. I mean come on, the umpire was RIGHT BLOODY THERE.

Kane Cornes is an absolute flog mate. When he talks I just tune out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suddenly we have a good crew of Tough nut mids, Berry, Robinson, Mathieson, Zorko with his tackling, Neale got in and under a quite a few times.

Can’t wait to see Ely smash a few bodies around over the next few years as well.

Yeah, it's a tough one. I don't envy the team selectors at all.

It's annoying the only individual stats that we can see (and perhaps I'm wrong) on the seconds is goals....I've not been able to find anything on tackles, disposals etc. So, dropping Rayner on the basis of poor stats appears a bit disingenuous as a result. With the seconds crushing every team, it's no real surprise the forwards have decent goal tallies.

I'm certainly not suggesting that Rayner deserves his spot next week based off his last month, because that's largely indefensible. But equally, aside from Keays et al kicking goals against weak opposition, it's hard to make a compelling case to drop him in my view given the limited statistical evidence on his likely replacement (goals scored).

I'm not suggesting he should be retained. Nor am I agitating for him to be dropped. I am just going to have faith in the match committee to make the best decision, whatever that might be, presuming that they have more to go on than we do.
there is a NEAFL app for your phone that gives you all the stats like AFL

I think Matho has become a really important part of this team. He adds a bit of mongrel and is good at the coal face. Happy for him that it’s starting to click.
Agree, he is in their face and I think he does some things in there like blocking for team mates that don't make it to the stats sheet. The mid field seems to work cleaner when he is there for what ever reason. I think its good having him and Robbo getting under the skin.

I think the main reason regard for Berry hasn't kept tracking up is because he hasn't got the midfield minutes thistle year that he was getting last year, after the recruitment of Neale and Lyons, in part because he has more strings to his bow. Once we see him back there full time he'll be back to same breath material.

I think Matho has become a really important part of this team. He adds a bit of mongrel and is good at the coal face. Happy for him that it’s starting to click.

I agree.....we are going to need another bull in a china shop person for when MRobbo retires. Matho fits the bill beautifully. Hope Robbo's training him!:D

Great win against a finals bound physically huge and strong team , last year they would have rag dolled us into submission . Tackling and physical pressure was the improvement for me , it was intense !

Defence still seems to be a problem as teams score against us far too easily and needs urgent attention. God help who ever plays us when we get our s**t together up forward and fully convert easy shots and make use of forward entries.

Lockie was great and is elite , thought mcstay and hippy are developing well. Rich so having a blinder of a year

Still plenty of improvement needed but we are on the way

Our pressure was next level, hope we can start bringing something around that level each week. We also need to start making teams work harder for goals against us crows scored too easily yesterday, we need to make our scores count more.

Also worst umpiring performance I've ever seen against us, some how got even worse in the final two minutes as well (Keath specky attempt on McStay didn't touch the ball not a free, McStay tackle on brown after he tried to fend him off not holding the ball) don't usually get fired up about umpires but that was the worst I've ever seen.

Also worked the election yesterday - I got the AFL push notification that the game was starting (with a small pang for the loss and the realisation that I had completely forgotten about it (was *very* busy) and then didn't get any more input until the end of game notification and was delighted with the win, sad I had missed it, and wondered what my nerves would have been like watching it.

People were talking about how bad Hipwood had been which was concerning on a Cooties level but I was please to see he kicked 2 so all is well with the world :)

Weird (but nice) still being top 8/4 this far into the season - recently (a decade) it has only been a think we can quickly screen shot if we happened to win the first game and not a horrible comparative percentage or the before the season ladder when it is sorted alphabetically.

edit - in light of SonnyBoy1's comment above I would have expected a last two minutes vid for our game … do they not come out this early or was it not 'clpse' enough. I do know that I am often not surprised when they don't show replays on the TV of particularly dodgy acts of thuggery (player or umpire) against us...

Back