Review Round 9, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I have just watched the game for the first time and my initial impression that it was a high standard game. We always looked (except for the last 10 minutes) to be about to tear the game open but the Crows would always answer. This game had finals like intensity,

The Western Bulldogs game was a scramble, a race to the bottom, but this game was between two sides playing well.

Hipwood is starting to look ominous and McSpray had a good game but I still think that the Big O needs to lift as a forward.

Another comment on Oscar: have a look at the effort that Martin puts into getting in front at boundary throw ins. I wish Oscar would start to do the same. Being so tall he often can reach over the top but in front is where the free kicks are and he could really start to tap to advantage.

Cam Raynor's effort to get completely under a simple high mark in the first quarter summarises his lack of possession for many weeks now. Because our games have been tight they haven't been able to 'gift' him some junk mid field time and his output is declining and his confidence may be shot. A game in the Twos? Depends if there is someone in the Twos knocking the door down.

Next four games have one at home (Hawthorn ) and three away (Freo, Blues and Saints ) Win three and finals here we come

Based on the replay, the non 50m was the single worst single umpiring mistake I've seen this year.

It should have resulted in a kick very close to goal.

Totally inexcusable.

I too re-watched the game and two incidents, aside from the clear 50M penalty not paid to Hipwood and most of the frees paid to Tex Walker, really puzzled me:

- the first was Mitch Robinson's textbook hard tackle very early in the first quarter. Sure it was a hard hit, but it wasn't in the back or high yet a free was paid; why? (of course paid by ump #1); and
- the second was Eddie Betts' very unrealistic marking attempt late in the game (the one where he was cat like and then had a shot at goal which was touched on the goal line when he was calling for a review). Re the marking attempt, he took his Lions player out of the contest and just got hand on it. Usually, if you don't mark it, a free is paid...of course it wasn't.

I also must admit, thanks ump #1, that I have no idea why a free was paid, again, against Mitch Robinson for whatever he did to Galucci that resulted in a 50M?

- the second was Eddie Betts' very unrealistic marking attempt late in the game (the one where he was cat like and then had a shot at goal which was touched on the goal line when he was calling for a review). Re the marking attempt, he took his Lions player out of the contest and just got hand on it. Usually, if you don't mark it, a free is paid...of course it wasn't.

Re: this one, in general if you at least get a touch on it it's play on. If you completely miss the ball then you're up for a free kick, though that was what was shitting me at one point in the last - Adelaide got away with it, and instead they got paid a free kick in the very next marking contest (after an Adelaide player sent the ball straight up off their boot across our forward 50 line).

Based on the replay, the non 50m was the single worst single umpiring mistake I've seen this year.

It should have resulted in a kick very close to goal.

Totally inexcusable.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Watch the last quarter Essendon - freo game and you will will see the worse decision this year .Essendon copped 2 shockers but 1 of them was just completely ridiculous.

Are we sure Hodgey will be straight back though? Calfs at 35 might be something that niggles him for a week or two more. Probably will be Lester but thought he was good today too. That 2 on 1 he won was an absolutely superb moment.

I would give Hodgey another week off, save him for home match against Hawks.
Lester was really impressive, be hard to be dropped after that performance.
Witherden, best game all year,
Rayner needs a run in Ressies, get his touch back.
Rich in AA (squad) form, even taking contested marks.
Hinge, looks impressive very composed, played a number of roles, including a defensive foward role on Laird.

I know Hipwood is young and still developing, BUT seriously his set shot kicking for goal is so fustrating,
Do we still have goal kicking coach/mentor at club ?

I have NOT been a fan of our 3 tall set up...BUT today I think it worked the best it has all yr, against a quality defensive unit.

Hipwood is an enigma -misses 20 out on a slight angle but goals from a tight angle 40 out

Both hipwood and Charlie must be spending hours practising the hard ones and be confident or have the mental attitude of it's ok to miss these, I'll just give it my best. The easy ones make them nervous.

I haven’t posted on Bigfooty since the Leigh Matthews era but great to see the boys doing well again. Confident we can make finals if Fagan can keep the endurance levels to last the season🤘
Good point - interesting that in the last 2 seasons our back half of the season (post bye) has been our best phase of the year. Hopefully, we will finish with momentum this year as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just finished watching the replay, this was a high quality contest and IMO the Crows brought their best footy to the Gabba but our intensity and pressure was elite level stuff, we were forcing them into error and rushed decisions, some things I picked up from the different perspective you get on the vision as opposed to at the ground.

1) McStay and Hipwood were even better than I thought live, hardly got beaten in a contest all day, The Big O and Stef were great as well.
2) I under rated Rhys Matheison's game on the day, did a lot of harassing and getting last second hands into contests.
3) The penny may have dropped for Alex Witherden, didn't try to be too flashy with those pulled kicks and was not lazy at all.
4) I didn't think it was fatigue that got us in the end just a couple of wrong decisions, Jarrod Berry going for the kick back inside when he would have been better off going down the line and Harris Andrews kicking it straight back to them were 2 that come to mind late in the game.
5) Cam Rayner did some good things without getting a stat, I was calling for a stint in the NEAFL but after watching it I wouldn't be surprised if he kept his spot.
6) Either Eric Hipwood or Charlie Cameron are going to rip a game apart very soon and kick a big bag ie. 7-9.

If we can bring that intensity to the next 3 games before the break we are a very realistic chance of being 9-3 at the bye, if so I'll be adjusting my hopes to a possible top 4 berth and a guaranteed at least 1 home final.

Lynch has become impossible to listen to.

The way he carried on groaning and moaning about a missed free against McStay for push in the back was cringeworthy. He wouldn't stop well after 5 minutes it happened.. hope someone can ping him in twitter / insta or somewhere to tell him what a muppet he's coming across as lately. I'd rather take another commentator who can call the game than carry on like Lynch.

The way he carried on groaning and moaning about a missed free against McStay for push in the back was cringeworthy. He wouldn't stop well after 5 minutes it happened.. hope someone can ping him in twitter / insta or somewhere to tell him what a muppet he's coming across as lately. I'd rather take another commentator who can call the game than carry on like Lynch.
After the chat on here post game I was expecting Lynch to be atrocious but IMO he wasn't anywhere near as bad as he has been in some of the other games, that one re McStay could on another day been called a push. From my POV he gets a pass on this one.

I too re-watched the game and two incidents, aside from the clear 50M penalty not paid to Hipwood and most of the frees paid to Tex Walker, really puzzled me:

- the first was Mitch Robinson's textbook hard tackle very early in the first quarter. Sure it was a hard hit, but it wasn't in the back or high yet a free was paid; why? (of course paid by ump #1); and

I also must admit, thanks ump #1, that I have no idea why a free was paid, again, against Mitch Robinson for whatever he did to Galucci that resulted in a 50M?

They were bad.

I didn't like the fact they got 4-5 soft high calls early, yet Mitch and Rayner have their hits impacted and it's play on.

A bad one later in the game was out on the forward flank for Adelaide, interchange side, and one of there bigger guys just fell on the ball and laid on it, so attempt to get it out, Linc was standing there for 3-4 seconds arms out. Ignored. Then at the bounce they plucked out a soft blocking free which generated an entry and led to a scoring shot I believe.

Then a few minutes later Clugg got pinged infront of our goals for dragging it in, which was HTB, but it has been ignored 5-6 times when the Crows did the same action.

The replay didn't change my opinion, it made it worse, we did't have much go our way with the umps and it was almost costly.

After the chat on here post game I was expecting Lynch to be atrocious but IMO he wasn't anywhere near as bad as he has been in some of the other games, that one re McStay could on another day been called a push. From my POV he gets a pass on this one.

Lynch is a passionate Lions man, he actually gets emotionally invested, a few weeks ago he was like a happy fan in the rooms, he couldn't hide his excitement. I think he is trying to counter the fact he knows he is feeling passion during the game, so he tried to over correct. I am ok with this, because pigs like Roos and Ricutto just let it come spewing out at the expense of opposition fans. I thought we would get Roo, he usually does out game because he would travel up with the team.

Re Rayner: form is a very intangible thing. One game soon it'll all click. Like McStay, who played his best all-round game for us in ages, possibly ever.

FWIW, Berry, who I rate very highly, cracked a couple of absolute clangers in the last Qu. which could easily have cost us the game. The message- don't turn inside, when in doubt go the boundary, and don't handball to space in hope.

We need to polish up our finishing game when we're in front with a few to go.

A point of interest as a long-term observer, I was only a few metres away Neale on the wing when he clamped onto the pill on the wing. His hard clump grasp on the ball was clearly audible. Wouldn't want to shake hands with this bloke without then counting my fingers. And a free message to the rotating Neale taggers- don't stir him up, it only makes him bore in all the harder. 39 possessions- what a star. Was talking to an under-age coach this morning- Neale's ability to handball off either hand, but also backwards off either hand, may well in time revolutionise the game.

Re the officials- I honestly think that when they get on a roll it's like an infection. Hey, we're in it together. Let's back it up with more crap. I was asked by my companion on Saturday why this was so. My probably inadequate response- we're in a non-AFL state where crap umpiring doesn't rate a mention, whereas if this happened at the G hell would break loose and it'd be Bendigo here we come.

Could you be any more over the top with this observation? Moaning and groaning for five minutes... come on.
Bit of respect for a triple premiership legend of the club pls.
Also, wishing for someone to have a go at him on social media... poor behaviour towards anyone, club legend or not. You could do it yourself if you feel strongly enough??

They were bad.

I didn't like the fact they got 4-5 soft high calls early, yet Mitch and Rayner have their hits impacted and it's play on.

A bad one later in the game was out on the forward flank for Adelaide, interchange side, and one of there bigger guys just fell on the ball and laid on it, so attempt to get it out, Linc was standing there for 3-4 seconds arms out. Ignored. Then at the bounce they plucked out a soft blocking free which generated an entry and led to a scoring shot I believe.

Then a few minutes later Clugg got pinged infront of our goals for dragging it in, which was HTB, but it has been ignored 5-6 times when the Crows did the same action.

The replay didn't change my opinion, it made it worse, we did't have much go our way with the umps and it was almost costly.
...and what about Eddie's throw in the last quarter - how on earth did they miss that - cost a goal.

Could you be any more over the top with this observation? Moaning and groaning for five minutes... come on.
Bit of respect for a triple premiership legend of the club pls.
Also, wishing for someone to have a go at him on social media... poor behaviour towards anyone, club legend or not. You could do it yourself if you feel strongly enough??

I am perfectly entitled to my view with a lopsided 13-25 free kick count giving Adelaide enough of a leg up already. Go back and watch if you want, it was well after the mark and kick was taken by McStay, this topic wouldn't be let go. I am happy to drum up support to my view and what makes you think I haven't had a go at him in social media already? I don't have to hide my face either in twitter or insta, they get a real feedback from a real person.

Each to our own, you don't like it - feel free to scroll past my post. Adios.

I don't mind lynch not being overy gushing our praises in the box, as much as its enjoyable for someone in the box to be on your side. After watching our match i watched north sydney, and listening to brayshaw in the box was just silly. Not even mentioning when calls against his team didn't' get called and glossing over their mistakes. Where i like a bit of bias is on the discussion shows etc . Always enjoy browny showing some love and putting up some clips of us

Back