Review Round 9, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I personally don’t think there is an intentional one, but media focus on teams probably unintentionally draws more attention to one side than the other so anything they do gets more scrutiny. As a spectator that just becomes infuriating to see one side ‘fly under the radar’ and get away with so much, but the other side gets pulled up on every tiny little thing, and in some cases, when it’s not even there and the umpire thinks they see it.’

The only, and really the one and only case I can see that there could be for the umpires to intentionally manipulate a game is to try and encourage a closer scoreline and make it more of a spectacle, and maybe somehow in turn encourage more action with their big $ sponsor betting agencies if it looks like the team with the long odds could get up. But that’s a massive, massive risk to take. Imagine if that was actually a thing.
I wouldn't put anything past the AFL as far as manipulation is concerned. Serial offenders time and time again.

A lot of our infringements in the backline today were almost there and they paid every one . When it got up the other end they refused to blow the whistle.

I've never been one to knock the umps I was brought up on the mantra ' the man in white is always right ' Well they're not in white any more and I find the standard particularly in our games is truly baffling

4 hours round trip for me to see the games. I sit next to a retired umpire and when he is blowing up at the unpinning you know its bad - that was atrocious. To win, I don't care by how much, a win is a win and I get to walk into the roadhouse half way home with all m y gear on as a winner when for so many years now I's sleek in and take the opposition supporters wrath. Cam Rayner - enough is enough we just can keep giving him chances with Wooller sitting in the 2's playing so well in a duplicate role. Well done Hinge, thought he was good for his 14 disposals. For Hodge to come back in, if he does for the long WA trip then Answorth or Lester will have to make way and either would be unlucky.

I'm being serious here ,do you think there's an agenda to stop us.

The last two weeks have been totally baffling displays with us not getting the same thing paid to the opposition , frequently.

It's been one umpire does the damage usually
Sorry but that’s tin foil hat stuff, umpires make mistakes but that’s vastly removed from an agenda.

The majority of free kicks to Adelaide we’re justified.

It's a good job that last quarter wasn't a minute longer. Squeaky bum time late in the game. After being 20 points up with bout 15 today, it looked like we were trying to control it and lock the ball in the forward half. It just didn't work. And what with free-kick-Tex up forward, anything could happen. Was there a new rule from AFL house this week that you can't look at him a bit funny without it being a free kick? Thought so. That umpiring display makes sense now.

I really think if that game went another 30 seconds, we lose.
Yeah our ladder position isn’t accurate atm but working towards it hopefully

I thought Witherden was very good today. The defensive qualms I've had with him weren't an issue today. Impacted a lot of contests, went when he had to, and was still able to play that distributor role. Looked a lot better than he has last few weeks.
Rayner probably needs to go back to the reserves just to get his hands on the footy but with the win he might hold his spot.
Yep, Witho pulled his finger out today,best game for the year IMO.
Feel for Cam, nothing is going his way. Sometimes when you're going through a lean patch, you just need a bounce to go your way to kick things off. His confidence would be pretty low the poor kid. Especially if he reads social media.

Yep, Witho pulled his finger out today,best game for the year IMO.
Feel for Cam, nothing is going his way. Sometimes when you're going through a lean patch, you just need a bounce to go your way to kick things off. His confidence would be pretty low the poor kid. Especially if he reads social media.

I think the coaching staff will have a decent understanding of what will be best for him and the team but with a totally uninformed opinion it looks like it's time to go back the 2s for a while. Win and no reserve games might give him another chance.

Not in my view at all . A lot were really soft

Only half joking with the agenda thing but it was very frustrating
Soft? Your right they were shocking, you would think the Crows had 1 meter 2 long necks and the Umps were told Tex Walker was not allowed to get his number dirty. The crowd were going off and rightly so the booing the umpires got at half time and full time was long and loud a couple of them should be dropped the just ran into the wrong position, didn't communicate with each other and missed so much. I sit next to a hall of fame umpire and he reckons it was the worst he has seen at the Gabba.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Currently watching the replay. Just got to half time. We're doing a lot of the tough stuff really well but let ourselves down with finishing and a bit of polish around the ground, still think that it's confidence based and soon enough we're going to tear a side a new one A few ump calls have been crap but nothing that has made me want to shoot the TV Elvis style (perhaps that is because I know that we've won the game).

I like the debut of Hinge, Answerth has done some good things without racking up numbers.

And it seems I'm very much in the minority, but I don't mind what I see from Rayner. Wouldn't mind Keays coming in mind you, if he's worked his arse off then it should be rewarded, but I don't have the pitch fork out for Rayner.

Anyway, into the second half we go.

Currently watching the replay. Just got to half time. We're doing a lot of the tough stuff really well but let ourselves down with finishing and a bit of polish around the ground, still think that it's confidence based and soon enough we're going to tear a side a new one A few ump calls have been crap but nothing that has made me want to shoot the TV Elvis style (perhaps that is because I know that we've won the game).

I like the debut of Hinge, Answerth has done some good things without racking up numbers.

And it seems I'm very much in the minority, but I don't mind what I see from Rayner. Wouldn't mind Keays coming in mind you, if he's worked his arse off then it should be rewarded, but I don't have the pitch fork out for Rayner.

I think we're all rooting for Cam , just hoping he'll come good.

Right now we have to consider what's best for the team without negating his development

How can you not mind what you see from Rayner? Two weeks in a row he can't get near it, fumbles when he does, applies zero pressure and worst of all fails to make a contest. Been down for weeks before that too.

I like him too and I'd love to see him reach his potential but there's literally nothing to like from his last two weeks.

Glad we got the win.A couple of observations there was numerous times when kicking out from a behind that we only seem to look one way and had open men the other way.Robbo had something to say about it to Withers.Going long to the contest over hitting an open man with two open at times.Frustrating.
The umpiring was disgraceful I don’t think I have seen a worse one way bias.To still get the win was a great effort.When does our club raise the issue that we are not getting a fair go?
Daniel Rich is just enormous for us his bodywork and attack on the ball is just brilliant to watch.

I guess the whole “I’m being serious here” took the joke out of it.

We got some soft free kicks as well
Well there can't of been too many Brett because we only got 13 for the day in spite of being the dominant team for most of the day.

Can you get any less than 13 ?? Don't see it too often

How can you not mind what you see from Rayner? Two weeks in a row he can't get near it, fumbles when he does, applies zero pressure and worst of all fails to make a contest. Been down for weeks before that too.

I like him too and I'd love to see him reach his potential but there's literally nothing to like from his last two weeks.

I haven't watched the second half yet but I saw him get near it heaps of times in the first. Certainly should've had a free kick / goal for a head high hit in the first qtr when going for a contested mark (you have to get near it to be going for contested marks) Agree he was a little fumbly from what I've seen.

Don't get me wrong, not impressed with him by any stretch, just haven't seen anything to get my Helen Lovejoy on yet that's all.

Back