Autopsy Round 9, 2019: Collingwood v St.Kilda *Bruce 100th, Savage 150th, Young debut*

Remove this Banner Ad

Beams, WHE, Howe, Varcoe, Greenwood, treloar, crisp, mayne, aish, roughhead... a lot of recycled talent in that side today.

The same old story, where we dominated the first 2 or 3 quarters with frenetic pressure and didn't make it count on the scoreboard.

Then we got punished in the last quarter when we ran out of gas and had no lead to defend.

Dunstan, Billings, Savage, Membrey and Brown all played great games and Young was great in patches but we had too many passengers again.

The umpires didn't do us any favours either but it's our inability to convert our pressure and inside 50s that is killing us more than the maggots.

We can't expect to win many games when we can't score more than 80 points, our defence isn't that good.

Last edited:

Usual whingers are gonna whinge.

Usual overly optimistic types are going to say we’re just off the pack leaders.

Neither are right of course, but that won’t stop either group. Fact is we were right in the game until our very poor efforts in the last quarter allowed their greater class to shine through.

There’s a fair bit of dare and promise with this group, and they’re still very very young; there’s something there to work with, but we’re not going to see much in the way of success in the short term.

It is what it is. All the tantrums in the world aren’t going to change that.

Hate this attitude. We were in that game and should have won it. Attacking those who are going to "whinge" about the outcome is a dickheaded act and achieves nothing aside from probably making you feel superior for seeing something that they aren't seeing.

Hate this attitude. We were in that game and should have won it. Attacking those who are going to "whinge" about the outcome is a dickheaded act and achieves nothing aside from probably making you feel superior for seeing something that they aren't seeing.
I don’t give a tinker’s * what you hate, having a view about something isn’t a “dickheaded act”, and if you feel attacked that’s on you.

Go have a Bex and a lie down.

Neither are right of course, but that won’t stop either group. Fact is we were right in the game until our very poor efforts in the last quarter allowed their greater class to shine through.

There’s a fair bit of dare and promise with this group, and they’re still very very young; there’s something there to work with, but we’re not going to see much in the way of success in the short term.

Don’t know why you are playing the man. Either say you are unhappy about the performance, or happy or neutral & you’re done. Why bother having a crack at fellow supporters for showing a bit of emotion?

We are human ffs. Naturally emotional & passionate about what we love. We all love the club but the frustration is compounded by 8 years in the wilderness.

Anyway, now instead of talking footy we are going each other. Great! It’s what ruins this forum.

I’ve got serious doubts that we will ever have the quality and class to consistently win matches and beat good teams.

Maybe it’s a matter of bringing in an elite player or two, particularly in the midfield where we lack class, but I don’t know. King might be the answer up forward but we really need a solution in the guts. I’m not as concerned with our defence because it’s very young and inexperienced.

I’ve been a supporter of McKenzie but he was out of sorts today. He did a couple of good things but looked shaky. I wouldn’t mind seeing White come in for him but I don’t think it’ll happen. Newnes and Ross were frustrating today, to put it mildly. Kent and Parker were ordinary.

I was very happy with Dunstan, Billings and Young. Bruce tried hard and Savage acquitted himself.

Just a very frustrating match and I’m tired of getting close but seldom getting the 4 points.

Don’t know why you are playing the man. Either say you are unhappy about the performance, or happy or neutral & you’re done. Why bother having a crack at fellow supporters for showing a bit of emotion?

We a human ffs. Naturally emotional & passionate about what we love. We all love the club but the frustration is compounded by 8 years in the wilderness.
See above. I’m not “having a crack” at anyone. And as for “playing the man”, I’m not singling out a single poster.

Give your head a wobble, you’re better than this.

Decent melt

Decent melt
Something I note you were the first poster to “like”, unless my notifications are confused.

And something that, as I see it, couldn’t be less accurately described as a melt.
Enjoy the pile-on.

Billings Good
Savage Very good
Dunstan Forever wasteful by hand and foot, can't get three quarters from him and I'm over his selection. But he's tough
Steele Good but needs to be cleaner
Membrey Good
Gresham OK but can be sloppy
Marshall Great for three quarters
Ross Poor
Kent Poor again
Sinclair Average
Wilkie Solid
Battle Good back and forward
Acres He's had a rubbish month, can't break a tackle for a big body, can't hit a target
Young OK debut
Marsh Went ok, will work into it more
Newnes Poor, lacked urgency. Not good enough with his experience
McKenzie OK. Need to improve spatial awareness and stop handballing and kicking into close opposition
Bruce Quiet
Paton Quite but makes the right choices when in posession
Phillips OK, need more
Brown OK
Parker Should get better

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really happy with the following:
Dunstan
Billings
Membrey
Young

Gee we need composure in the back half. The amount of goals they got from our defenders fumbling or giving away a silly free was infuriating.

Time to fast track Coffield & White. Just put them in the team for their skill & composure & they’ll improve the defensive aspects of their game on the run.

Played 3 quarters of decent footy. Game was there to be won and we shirked the contest.

Once again let down by entries in forward 50, conversion and (I hate mentioning it but it’s getting ridiculous) again on the wrong side of the free kick count.

Our midfield was beaten but did ok against the deeply talented oppo especially in Q4.

Ross, Kent, Bruce, Parker, Newnes were poor today.

I think Long will almost have to come in as it’s Indigenous round and we’re going to wearing his family designed jumper.

Hopefully some lads have great performances at Sandy.

Let’s not forget the quality teams we’ve played for the last month. The hardest part of the season is behind us and we haven’t been completely demoralised.

Let’s look forward to Carlton and Port at home. Then hopefully getting some of our injured players back after the bye round.

I don’t give a tinker’s **** what you hate, having a view about something isn’t a “dickheaded act”, and if you feel attacked that’s on you.

Go have a Bex and a lie down.

Talking s**t about supporters being upset about the loss and wanting more out of the team is a dickheaded act every single day of the week. Have your opinion but don’t try and drag down Saints fans with it. The attempt at superiority isn’t needed.

Talking **** about supporters being upset about the loss and wanting more out of the team is a dickheaded act every single day of the week. Have your opinion but don’t try and drag down Saints fans with it. The attempt at superiority isn’t needed.
You seem to have conveniently ignored that I also took issue with the permanently positive, but hey, you do you.

Something I note you were the first poster to “like”, unless my notifications are confused.

Enjoy the pile-on.
Hey I think there's merit in what you posted. I think you nailed the assessment of the side THIS year and where we are at. It's the reality of it.

Problem is the output we see today is the cumulation of a long rebuild. It's 8 years work essentially. We cannot be happy with what it has produced.

I hate to think we will let the club twist perception by trying to minimise the window by which we evaluate the clubs performance. The worst thing we can do is compare it to last year. Like the previous 6 seasons never happened. If that starts to happen we are 100% cooked. It'll end up turning into a cycle of year 1 good, year 2. Rinse and repeat.

I think we have a blue collar list. A strong base. It's underperforming and has been for years. We need it to be more competitive. Regardless of how we spin the age demographic.

What is interesting is trout foresaw the big issue we have now. We lack inside mids. He publicly commented we looked soft around the contest.

Supporters will rightfully be unhappy and I think the dominoes are already starting to fall down at moorabbin.

Damn that last quarter was very dissapointing after we played really well in the 1st 3. Had our chances when we dominated in the 2nd quarter but kicked points.

Resting Marshall for the first 10 minutes of the last quarter was a masterstroke. Sidebottom killed us in the 4th as well.

Thought Dunstan was our best mid today. To compete with the top teams i dont think we can be that defensive, we need to try and win our own ball. Young was amazing in his 1st game. Looked like our forward line looked dangerous in the 2nd and 3rd which is a good sign as while we played well in the 1st it looked really hard to get any shots on goal.

Who goes out next week? Tough to say. Myb Paton, Phillips or Marsh for me..
Why not Ross and Newnes?

What is interesting is trout foresaw the big issue we have now. We lack inside mids. He publicly commented we looked soft around the contest.
Interesting then that he chose to do bugger all about it...

Dunstan played a lone hand in center clearances - that’s disappointing

Dunstan was our best player today, carried our midfield but got little support, could really do with Steven and Hannebery back to help with the heavy lifting.

Ross and Sinclair aren't tough enough while Gresham and Acres aren't consistent enough when they play midfield, do some good things but also go missing.

A few other team's supporters would not accept this sort of loss. We need to be one of them

71 points, right on track with our average score for the past 18 months.

Need to try a different forward setup, Bruce is just not effective enough in more games than not.

Brown only had one possible matchup in that game which was Reid, yet we see him on a lightning quick small all
game?

Good debut from young, Wilkie very good again. DMAC showing his glaring flaws today.

Dunstan good but his disposal really hurts at times.

Give Kent a spell, not sure why the commentators keep talking him up.
Kent was fine.. he busted his gut.. tried to do things which is fine by me..

Newnes on the other hand was woeful,. He's the one that needs to be dropped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back